2019-nCov: NHL Season SUSPENDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Jeez louise are you alright
I have not find reason for optimist in the current situation.

Mind you, we will know more in a week or two.

Comparing this to Flu is crazy: 34 times more deaths.

Comparing this to Sars is also crazy.

At this point, the best hope is to find a treatment that decrease the deaths toll to Flu level. We are not there yet!

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Anyone who has numbers proving we won't get to millions of deaths should post his arguments and numbers.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Yes but the number of SARS cases are lower. SARS-2 is much more virulent. You can not compare 10,000 caseswith millions. We maybe looking at 10%-20% of the globe as far as cases are concerned...

BTW, what is the ration deaths/recovered in China? How about Iran? and Italy?

I do not agree about this being a nothing burger...
I'm not an epidemiologist, just a simple medical student, so I don't know all the numbers, I'm only telling you what I'm told by staff and residents who find this reaction overblown. We'll have thousands of people showing up to emergency for this and they'll delay care for people who are in higher need for acute care. People raiding supplies at Costco and stealing N95 masks in the hospitals in ridiculous. From what I could find, there are approximately 80k reported cases in China and 10k outside, with death rates varying from 0.5 to 4% depending on the countries. Again, it's not something to take lightly, but given how people go to work with the flu which can be extremely dangerous if not taken care of properly, this whole situation is a bit extreme. People don't vaccinate their children against measles and pertussis, but they go crazy over this? It's sad.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm not an epidemiologist, just a simple medical student, so I don't know all the numbers, I'm only telling you what I'm told by staff and residents who find this reaction overblown. We'll have thousands of people showing up to emergency for this and they'll delay care for people who are in higher need for acute care. People raiding supplies at Costco and stealing N95 masks in the hospitals in ridiculous. From what I could find, there are approximately 80k reported cases in China and 10k outside, with death rates varying from 0.5 to 4% depending on the countries. Again, it's not something to take lightly, but given how people go to work with the flu which can be extremely dangerous if not taken care of properly, this whole situation is a bit extreme. People don't vaccinate their children against measles and pertussis, but they go crazy over this? It's sad.
Confirmed cases are not important because the ones not recovered can not be part of the statistic.

Again, what is the ratio of deaths/recovered?
BTW, sometimes they recover and come back sick againlater...

About the panic with masks, I agree... Washing the hands is the best defense.
Do you know that this virus can stay active on surfaces for days?
You should learn about the study that Singapour doctors did about the propagation of the virus. We can trust Singapore and South Korea about this virus...

I bet you that South Korea will be among top best country about managing this. But in US they have Trump...

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
If only wed get like half of that anxiousness for climate change...
Haha amen brother, or cigarette smoking, or cardiovascular diseases... 50% percent of smokers will actually die from smoking related illnesses, that's a real number, 50%. I'll hop on a plane to Wuhan without any protection and lick my fingers every second after shaking hands with thousands of strangers way before starting to smoke... and yet we are going crazy because of this virus but we let people spend money to kill themselves slowly... makes sense.

Reactions: Mandala and Mrb1p

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Confirmed cases are not important because the ones not recovered can not be part of the statistic.

Again, what is the ratio of deaths/recovered?
BTW, sometimes they recover and come back sick againlater...

About the panic with masks, I agree... Washing the hands is the best defense.
Do you know that this virus can stay active on surfaces for days?
You should learn about the study that Singapour doctors did about the propagation of the virus. We can trust Singapore and South Korea about this virus...

I bet you that South Korea will be among top best country about managing this. But in US they have Trump...
I'm pretty sure the ratios we currently have are actually worst case scenario since for 80% of people, this infection only causes cold like symptoms and these people are unlikely to go get tested for a runny nose. Once you recover completely from a viral infection, you don't become sick again from this particular strand, you've built adaptive immunity and this is how vaccines work. Obviously there is a chance the virus mutates and then yeah, you could get infected again by a different strand, which is why we can't get rid of the common cold of flu completely.

Reactions: Mandala

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Here, if you won't believe me, maybe this guy who's worked all his life with deadly infections will:
Coronavirus: Infectious disease doctor warns against mass panic and stockpiling
Has nothing to do with the rate of deaths nor the propagation.

He is just stating the obious.

Did he give a new death reate or propagation rate? Any miracle treatment? Besides the fact that people are stealing masks, did you learn anything? What new science did you learn?

BTW, when was the last time Olympic are cancelled/postponed?
When was the last time Mecca was closed? Yes it reopened... We will see in April...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Did he give a new death reate or propagation rate? Any miracle treatment? Besides the fact that people are stealing masks, did you learn anything? What new science did you learn?

When was the last time Mecca was closed? Yes it reopened... We will see in April...
Protecting the health care system doesnt mean there will be millions of deaths.

Reactions: Mandala

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

I'm not here to tell you what to think, you obviously can make your own opinion. I've told you what I know and what the healthcare professionals that surround me know about this. Yes, it propagates very fast, but it is not close to being as deadly as SARS or MERS. The vast vast vast majority of healthy people will not have any problems with it if they contract it, those more at risk, as per usual, are the elderly and the immunosupressed. There are a lot of antivirals that are being tested, one from here that was isolated by a lab at the IRCM and they are conducting clinical trials in China right now. If you still want to think that this will kill millions, I can't force you to think otherwise, just like I can't convince anti-vaccers that they're playing with their children's lives. All I can tell you is that Monday I'll be at the hospital all day, not wearing a mask unless told to do so, and that I am not scared at all to die from this thing. You decide where you wanna go with it, I have to study now.

Reactions: zeeto and Mandala

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Protecting the health care system doesnt mean there will be millions of deaths.
How many deaths in Iran do you expect? This is already affecting more than 20 MPs in Iran.

We can not stop propagation in middle east.
I can see tens if of not hundreds of millions of cases over there.
BTW, do they have the proper medical staff and medications in refugees camps.

How many countries have this under control? Singapore? South Korea?

As I wrote, let's see what happens till the end of March.

For now, anything not named spanish flu can compare.
Spend 10 minutes looking at one of Peak Prosperity videos.
He is looking at numbers from everywhere and pointing out discrepancies.
At least 50% of governments are lying about this.

Again, in a week we will know more. We have 2000 tests in US. We will see after 200,000 tests...

BTW, I am not looking for any mask at this point.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm not here to tell you what to think, you obviously can make your own opinion. I've told you what I know and what the healthcare professionals that surround me know about this. Yes, it propagates very fast, but it is not close to being as deadly as SARS or MERS. The vast vast vast majority of healthy people will not have any problems with it if they contract it, those more at risk, as per usual, are the elderly and the immunosupressed. There are a lot of antivirals that are being tested, one from here that was isolated by a lab at the IRCM and they are conducting clinical trials in China right now. If you still want to think that this will kill millions, I can't force you to think otherwise, just like I can't convince anti-vaccers that they're playing with their children's lives. All I can tell you is that Monday I'll be at the hospital all day, not wearing a mask unless told to do so, and that I am not scared at all to die from this thing. You decide where you wanna go with it, I have to study now.
Death rate of Flu os 0.1%.
Death rate of Corona visrus is 3.4%.

Now deaths rate of SARS and MERS is between 10% and 20% (roughly). Far from Flu but near of SARS and MERS.

But the most important is the propagation rate...
Corona virus is way more contagious that all of those.

I agree with your position about your job.
We are not so bad in Canada.
But a lot of countries are not so blessed as we are.

BTW, I am not overly scarred about this in Montreal. Also at 62 I am not so much at risk of dying.

I will relax when the stock market will be up for two consecutive weeks.

Reactions: llamateizer

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
All the people who caught it and were interviewed said the same thing. No worse than the seasonal flu. Fever for about a day and that's it. Only the sick and elderly should worry.

My advice to @get25, relax and crack open a cold one.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006

Now deaths rate of SARS and MERS is between 10% and 20% (roughly). Far from Flu but near of SARS and MERS.

BTW, I am not overly scarred about this in Montreal. Also at 62 I am not so much at risk of dying.

First publications are expected April or May this year for intervention trials in China (chloroquine, etc.). The useful outcome from these studies is survival so not to long to have a good idea if treatment works or not.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

You are a bit early for all this talk, we are far removed in time from millions of death. There are a number of promising clinical trials underway that could make a significant difference.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Haha amen brother, or cigarette smoking, or cardiovascular diseases... 50% percent of smokers will actually die from smoking related illnesses, that's a real number, 50%. I'll hop on a plane to Wuhan without any protection and lick my fingers every second after shaking hands with thousands of strangers way before starting to smoke... and yet we are going crazy because of this virus but we let people spend money to kill themselves slowly... makes sense.

If the coronavurus doesn't kill you, the toilet paper wars will :p

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Now deaths rate of SARS and MERS is between 10% and 20% (roughly). Far from Flu but near of SARS and .

You have to do more than just look the numbers as they are without any context on the situation.

Why is the death rate in South Korea is 0.6%?
Why the death rate in Germany and Canada are at 0%?
Why is the death rate in Italy is 3.9%, US is rocking a 4.4% and China stand at 3.8%?

Do you factor in that China's healthcare system was overwhelmed and couldn't prepare for it?
Do you factor in that the outbreak started in Life Care center in the U.S. which are filled with the most vulnerable people?

Yes the virus is highly contagious and a lot more poeple will die before we the end of this but doing simple math to predict the outcome of this is not a great way to go.

You see millions of death while there's 3500 deaths in the world....which 500 is outside China.
Using the same way of using math, i could also say we're looking more at 24 000 more deaths before a vaccine is good to go in 14 months. (3500 deaths each 2 months).

It's all a matter of what countries do when an outbreak appear in their country.
Like in the U.S. right now...the outbreak is well on his way and i don't see the right actions being taken.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Talk of playing nhl games in empty arenas. That will be strange to watch. Like watching BIg Bang Theory with no laugh track.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You have to do more than just look the numbers as they are without any context on the situation.

Why is the death rate in South Korea is 0.6%?
Why the death rate in Germany and Canada are at 0%?
Why is the death rate in Italy is 3.9%, US is rocking a 4.4% and China stand at 3.8%?

Time, there is little secret as to why these vary at this point. When you look at a sample of cases, a cohort, you have to pay attention to analyze that cohort for the full duration of the lifecycle. Death and serious cases take 3-4 weeks to develop.

Thus, these fatality rates are not calculated correctly at all, it's very simple. It's the media and citizens with no scientific training who just look at 2 numbers and do a calculation that has no basis in fact because time is not communicated in these numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad