GDT: 2019 MLB HR Derby

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hot damn he actually did it, and didn't need any of his stinkin' bonuses.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You wonder how many Alonso hits if not for the bad pitching

Yeah it's not going to be a big talking point but geez his own cousin almost beaned him in the last round and that was one of the ones he didn't throw in the dirt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
“Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit 91 home runs tonight! 34 more than anybody else!”

“Sorry! You do not win home run derby.”

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Vlad's total was awesome and he was the star of the night.

Also, Alonso was crazy impressive with his pitcher being, uh, really bad compared to 6 of the other guys. I'd love to see a Pitch Trax chart of pitches in the strike zones, HR Swings, Non-HR swings and see how bad it was for Alonso.

And why Vlad clearly won and would have still won by total home runs, the 91-57 thing is misleading, as Pete walked off with time left, never touched his bonus time and didn't have a minute playoff.

After the trophy presentation, Pete should have said "put 2:50 on the clock and give me six more swings after that. I want to see if I can get to 92."

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This format is way more entertaining than the old one. The derby is a novelty and should be treated as such.

Knew Vlad jr would have a hard time in the last round. A big part of winning in this format is letting your opponent punch themselves out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This format is way more entertaining than the old one. The derby is a novelty and should be treated as such.

Plus there's nothing wrong with shortening it a little, for either the viewers or the players. Even this format was almost three hours long. When you're dealing with a one-trick pony, less is more. Imagine a four-hour derby without these close competitions because guys get worn out swinging forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad