GDT: 2019 MLB draft

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will be interesting to see how all these players pan out. Of the 4 major sports the baseball draft seems to be the one that matters the least.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Will be interesting to see how all these players pan out. Of the 4 major sports the baseball draft seems to be the one that matters the least.

I'd argue it's the most important. If you are good at drafting you can set yourself up for years with one or two drafts. Hard to do that in the other 3 sports (except maybe football where you can nail your QB pick).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If I was Mets I'd give Allan that 4 mill he wants. Arguably the best pitcher in the draft.

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'd argue it's the most important. If you are good at drafting you can set yourself up for years with one or two drafts. Hard to do that in the other 3 sports (except maybe football where you can nail your QB pick).
:rolleyes: Yeah, the Bulls didn't set themselves up for years when they acquired Jordan and Pippen and a QB w/o a good OL is so good. Name a good QB/OL combo that was picked in only 2 drafts.

Many great players have been drafted after the 6th round:

Round 7: Wade Boggs
Round 11: Andre Dawson
Round 12: Nolan Ryan
Round 13: Albert Pujols
Round 17: Kenny Lofton

and even in the now non-existent post-40th rounds:

Keith Hernandez, Cardinals, 1971 (42nd round)
Mike Piazza, Dodgers, 1988 (62nd round)

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Many great players have been drafted after the 6th round:

Round 7: Wade Boggs
Round 11: Andre Dawson
Round 12: Nolan Ryan
Round 13: Albert Pujols
Round 17: Kenny Lofton

and even in the now non-existent post-40th rounds:

Keith Hernandez, Cardinals, 1971 (42nd round)
Mike Piazza, Dodgers, 1988 (62nd round)

Whenever the late picks get brought up, I'm always most impressed with Nolan Ryan. What a pick

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Blue Jays drafted Roy Halladay's kid.

Nice touch.

In terms of the probability of the team able to actually retain the player and the probability of the player being good.

Amazing how so few players turn out, given how the MLB's draft (which is still ongoing, three days in, now in ROUND 36), is bigger than the other three leagues combined. :laugh:

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Mike Trout was the 25th pick in the draft.

The Yankees drafted Al Leiter's son.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
9 years ago the Yankees drafted Cito Culver at 32 overall.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Some thoughts:

Bobby Witt Jr.'s dad was the 3rd overall pick in 1985. Bobby Jr. was picked 2nd by the Royals. So they're the first father/son duo to both be picked in the top five in their respective draft year.

The MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot by far of the four major sports leagues. But teams being able to control players well into their late 20s is huge if they nail the pick.

I know that isn't the entire list, but I'd hardly say that there were "many" great players drafted after the 6th round.

Being a downer here for a sec... sure, the Halladay's kid thing is cool, but it seems like a waste of a pick to me even though the odds of a 32nd round pick even making the majors are very long. This isn't the first time a team took a player because of the story, and it won't be the last. If I recall correctly, the Diamondbacks a few years back took a paralyzed player in the draft. I mean, good for the kid, but come on.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Being a downer here for a sec... sure, the Halladay's kid thing is cool, but it seems like a waste of a pick to me even though the odds of a 32nd round pick even making the majors are very long. This isn't the first time a team took a player because of the story, and it won't be the last. If I recall correctly, the Diamondbacks a few years back took a paralyzed player in the draft. I mean, good for the kid, but come on.

32nd round is for high school players that are never going to sign or college senior type roster fillers that don't have major league talent. Drafting Halladay's kid there is fine.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
32nd round is for high school players that are never going to sign or college senior type roster fillers that don't have major league talent. Drafting Halladay's kid there is fine.
Yea, you're filling out your org with guys the area scout says are good teammates or have like one interesting quality.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Some thoughts:

Bobby Witt Jr.'s dad was the 3rd overall pick in 1985. Bobby Jr. was picked 2nd by the Royals. So they're the first father/son duo to both be picked in the top five in their respective draft year.

The MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot by far of the four major sports leagues. But teams being able to control players well into their late 20s is huge if they nail the pick.

I know that isn't the entire list, but I'd hardly say that there were "many" great players drafted after the 6th round.

that paralyzed player was cory hahn. local orange county kid who absolutely tore it up in HS (top player in CA 2010) and would have for sure been drafted pretty high if he hadn't been paralyzed in his 2nd or 3rd game at ASU

d-backs took him in the 34th round (his high school number) and i believe he now works in their FO

sad but inspirational story

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Just to drive this point home, the WAR of 32nd round picks that signed from a decade ago at the 2009 Draft: 0

One legitimate player was drafted in that round, Luke Voit...but he falls in that high school player who was never going to sign camp and didn't turn pro for another 4 years. The only other guy to make the Majors drafted in that round has a negative WAR, but even he went back into the draft the next year (Parker Merkel).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad