Prospect Ranking #5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards for I think my 10th straight year. The criteria for a prospect will be loosely based on Calder eligibility. There may be a couple that slip through the cracks the first few posts because I am not perfect. Also please let me know if I have someone listed that is no longer with us, or any omissions. Comprehensive prospect lists are a little harder to find than you'd think this time of year.

Rankings:

1. Rasmus Sandin -- 68.3%
2. Timothy Liljegren -- 87.4%
3. Jeremy Bracco -- 60.7%
4. Nicholas Robertson -- 40.5%
5. Trevor Moore -- 32.9%

Mac Hollowell
Jesper Lindgren
Dmytro Timashov
Yegor Korshkov
Ian Scott
Joseph Woll
Filip Kral
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Eemeli Rasanen
Pierre Engvall
Teemu Kivihalme
Justin Brazeau
Mikko Kokkonen
Ilya Mikheyev
Mason Marchment

Dakota Joshua
Martins Dzierkals
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Vladislav Kara
Ryan O'Connell
Riley Stotts
Adam Brooks
Pontus Holmberg
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Miro Aaltonen
Joe Duszak
Aaron Luchuk
Mikhail Abramov
Nick Abruzzese
Michael Koster
Calle Loponen

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5

Suggest who I should add next. :D

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kokko addict, I feel so alone. Kokkonen is my sleeper and #4. Some guys here are not prospects anymore!

Reactions: Lauro

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Went with Scott. Has starter written all over him. Fantastic combination of athleticism and poise. Obviously a few years away from making an impact, but i can definitely see him as our goalie of the future.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Mikheyev.

Guy is going to play this year. Not really a prospect, but he's the best of the bunch currently.
I don’t agree with this line of thinking. Just because he’s ready to play in the NHL shouldn’t have a bearing on where you place him in a prospect ranking especially when the player is Mikheyev’s age. You wouldn’t put the player over Sandin just because it’s a little more likely he plays this season.

Probably better to focus on upside more than what they are currently when doing a prospect ranking.

Woll for me. I considered Kokkonen.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don’t agree with this line of thinking. Just because he’s ready to play in the NHL shouldn’t have a bearing on where you place him in a prospect ranking especially when the player is Mikheyev’s age. You wouldn’t put the player over Sandin just because it’s a little more likely he plays this season.

Probably better to focus on upside more than what they are currently when doing a prospect ranking.

You're right. He should not be put up high because he's ready. He should be high because he had an NHLe of 61 last season in the 2nd best league in the world, lead his KHL team in points with the next two closest having 4 and 14 less.

Insidefi

Sep 22, 2016
Alberta
Voted Mikheyev again. His KHL season was really good but that does not always translate to success. Still think he has the potential to be good though.

I can understand why people are voting Scott so high but I have a feeling he ends up Sparks level at best. I really hope he proves me wrong, I just have that gut feeling.

Now that I have said all that, with my luck I am sure Scott will turn out better than Mikheyev.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I just want to add that I would go Woll over Kokko but I almost feel like tenders shouldn't be included in this, just like Moore and others that seem to be on the big club now.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I think the two goalies and Kokkonen have to be the next three off the board. Not sure I agree with the people voting Mikheyev over any of those three, considering upside.

I can understand why people are voting Scott so high but I have a feeling he ends up Sparks level at best. I really hope he proves me wrong, I just have that gut feeling.

What are you basing this off of? From my limited viewings of Scott they have entirely different styles. Scott is far more calm and composed in his net, similar to Andersen or Price. I don't really see the comparison.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think the two goalies and Kokkonen have to be the next three off the board. Not sure I agree with the people voting Mikheyev over any of those three, considering upside.

What are you basing this off of? From my limited viewings of Scott they have entirely different styles. Scott is far more calm and composed in his net, similar to Andersen or Price. I don't really see the comparison.
Scott is also more talanted.

Reactions: kk87

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Goalies so hard to predict. Styles are all different. Maturity different.
Look at Binner a jump start small goalie relying on athletics all the way through the ranks but always had big save $$$ games as a kid. In big games the kid stole the show. Not about save % and all that crap. Big time saves when it counts. And it results in a Cup.
I like Woll because that was what I saw big time $$$ saves when it counts against teams with far more talent than his St Loius team. Yet he got his St Louis team to finals many tournaments when they were badly outplayed/outshot and only Tchachuk and keller to bury a few goals. But at some point when you are getting outshot 70-10 in final there is only so much anyone can do but even then it was often a 1 goal game.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

When you get below #5 it's a complete crap shoot. It's unlikely many of the players from 5 onward ever produce the way he has in the KHL. I would say that he's properly ranked between 5 and 7.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Sticking with Engvall here.
Yes, there's every chance he goes 0.5ppg again this season and ends up with a nice long SHL career.
But he could also do what Andreas did and go 1.0PPG on the top line (AHL)
And then get called up late this season or early next season.
Then you've got your 6 and a half Foot winger with speed and skill who plays hard.

...and he'd be coming up age wise right about the same time as Andreas did.
And being that all the players at this point are maybes,
I like Engvall better than anyone other than the Goalies.

Reactions: Ruggle

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Will be interesting to see if a goalie split has Mikheyev go here. Not that he doesn't deserve it but the goalies are so close people who like them may split because of uncertainty of exactly who might be better. I have it Woll, then Scott, then Mikheyev followed by Kokkonen who feels late at 9 because I'm so high on him, but that's where my first biog drop off is.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Still don't know why Moore was included. He's not even Calder Eligible anymore, so not even a rookie by NHL standards.

Mikheyev here, then Kokkonen, then goalies.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Kokko addict, I feel so alone. Kokkonen is my sleeper and #4. Some guys here are not prospects anymore!
Some of the things I've seen and heard, I have him up there as well. See him as a guy who has the potential to be a top pairing guy but likely comes in as a top 4. Probably 6 or 7 for me.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
You're right. He should not be put up high because he's ready. He should be high because he had an NHLe of 61 last season in the 2nd best league in the world, lead his KHL team in points with the next two closest having 4 and 14 less.
What is NHLe? And what does 61 mean? Is that like projected NHL points at 61?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad