2019 IIHF HOF selections announced

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
https://www.tsn.ca/wickenheiser-modano-satan-join-iihf-hall-1.1253356

Her impact on hockey deep and far-reaching, Hayley Wickenheiser will be inducted into the International Ice Hockey Federation's Hall of Fame this year.

The 40-year-old from Shaunavon, Sask., is one of five players entering the hall May 26 during the world men's championship in Bratislava, Slovakia.

American forward Mike Modano, Sweden's Jorgen Jonsson and Slovak stars Zigmund Palffy and Miroslav Satan were also members of the 2019 induction class announced Wednesday by the IIHF.

The late Boris Alexandrov, a former Soviet national team player and coach of Kazakhstan, will be inducted as builder.

Funny, I don't usually hear much about IIHF inductees but saw this pop up on the TSN news feed. Good stuff.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
This is the same august body that inducted Phil Housley six years before Chris Chelios. That has two Romanian players inducted. That has fewer Canadian players (7) from the professional era (1972-) than Russia, Sweden and Finland. That has Mike Curran as a member essentially on the basis of one game (beating the Czechs at the 1972 Olympics). Here are the credentials for Boris Alexandrov as a "builder":
From 1996 until his untimely death in 2002, Alexandrov worked as a head coach of both Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk and the Team Kazakhstan.
And speaking of builders, there's Yoshiaki Tsutsumi: inducted in 1999, indicted in 2005
Yoshiaki Tsutsumi - Wikipedia

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's IIHF Hall of Fame, so I don't see anything wrong with having Romanian players included seeing as they want to include more than just the few countries where the players come from.

Also why no one will deny that Marian Hossa had a better overall career than Miro Satan in regards to the NHL, it's a no brainer that Satan would get an induction to IIHF HOF way ahead of Hossa looking at the career Satan had with Team Slovakia at IIHF events. Might be similar with other players.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Jörgen Jönsson was truly a great player. Could play in NHL with no problem but he was homesick.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
It's IIHF Hall of Fame, so I don't see anything wrong with having Romanian players included seeing as they want to include more than just the few countries where the players come from.

Also why no one will deny that Marian Hossa had a better overall career than Miro Satan in regards to the NHL, it's a no brainer that Satan would get an induction to IIHF HOF way ahead of Hossa looking at the career Satan had with Team Slovakia at IIHF events. Might be similar with other players.

It is bulgarian player. He played at 28 (!!!) IIHF World championships, from pool B to Division 3. That's why IIHF introduced Bibi Torriani award to acknoweldge players from the lesser countries that didn't have privilige to be born in Sweden, Canada, Russia or Finland.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It is bulgarian player. He played at 28 (!!!) IIHF World championships, from pool B to Division 3. That's why IIHF introduced Bibi Torriani award to acknoweldge players from the lesser countries that didn't have privilige to be born in Sweden, Canada, Russia or Finland.

I was referring to Uncle Rotter's comment that mentions 2 Romanian players. But anyway I think your point and mine are the same, IIHF represents all member countries not just the top one, so it's obvious that they would include those who have majorly contributed to their nations even at lower levels.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Sure, it's fine to honour players from smaller countries like this. Create a reward for the best player in each IIHF country. But to use a "Hall of Fame" for this purpose smacks of tokenism.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Doru Tureanu is in the Hall of Fame because he deserves to be there, not because he's Romanian. One of the best players of his time, would have been a star in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad