Who is the Devils ninth best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think it's because Seney kind of is what he and IMO fizzled after starting out really solid. Bastian has the draft pedigree on his side for this stuff too.

Bastian is also 2 years younger than Seney. I can see him carving out a role on this team using his size to pick up dirty goals and be a net front presence on the PP, similar to what Boyle and Maroon (and now Simmonds) have done.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
@StevenToddIves you liked misyul right

I recall Steven was very high on Misyul (and McCarthy of course) in particular. If memory serves me correctly, he thought the Ohkotyuk pick may have been a bit early but he didn’t dislike it. He was pleased at the recurring theme of the Devils targeting physical defensemen as we are often way too easy to play against.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think being sent down had anything to do with his quality of play. Him and Anderson were sent down the day before the trade deadline because the team wanted an extended look at other guys.

Why would they want an extended look at other guys if Seney (and Anderson) were performing at an NHL level? If Seney had 10 goals instead of 5, do you think he gets sent down? I sure don't. He was sent down because he was ineffective - he made some nice plays, but he was way under water in terms of shots for/shots against, and he didn't have many goals or assists either.

If playing time amongst the kids was given out exclusively on merit then there's not a person in the world who could justify McLeod getting 21 games. This season after December was an extended audition and everyone got their turn. Seney's turn was up, they got to look at him for 50 games and wanted to see some other guys.

He was very clearly more effective than Anderson, McLeod, Lappin, Quenneville, Pietila, Dea, Gabriel, Tangradi (and Noesen, a regular). The only ones who weren't obviously worse were Agostino, Rooney, and Bastian. And again, small sample size with Bastian.

He wasn't more effective than Anderson, who despite his scoring issues managed to break even territorially (though he had better linemates). All the rest of those guys are basically nothing. I don't really care if Seney was better than 7 guys who won't be NHL regulars - the question is, can he be an NHL regular, and the answer is, probably not. He'll have to improve in basically every area to be one, I think, and he's already 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad