Speculation: 2019 expectations

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think you can have Expectations for the next season.

I don't think at this point you can make Predictions though.

I see what you’re saying.

I looked at it this way...

I expect Okposo to get 60 points next year. Will he even be on the roster? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect Reinhart to continue his great play into next season. Will he even be on the roster? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect Housley to be a better coach next season. Well who’s on the team? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect CM to have a 50 pt season. Who are his line mates? Who knows. So don’t expect that.

And I also think some are mixing predictions and expectations for 2018/19 season, today.

I’m not against having a fantasyland thread like this one. For me, I’ll temper my expectations when it’s closer to the season and things are a little more solidified :dunno:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What are people's expectations for Mittelstadt? I expect his name to be mentioned when it comes to calder cup...too high?

Get some confidence at the World Championships, start the year with that momentum, and have a consistently improving year, but at points run into a wall that he will need to learn to get out of.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I see what you’re saying.

I looked at it this way...

I expect Okposo to get 60 points next year. Will he even be on the roster? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect Reinhart to continue his great play into next season. Will he even be on the roster? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect Housley to be a better coach next season. Well who’s on the team? Who knows. So don’t expect that.
I expect CM to have a 50 pt season. Who are his line mates? Who knows. So don’t expect that.

And I also think some are mixing predictions and expectations for 2018/19 season, today.

I’m not against having a fantasyland thread like this one. For me, I’ll temper my expectations when it’s closer to the season and things are a little more solidified :dunno:

That's fair.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What are people's expectations for Mittelstadt? I expect his name to be mentioned when it comes to calder cup...too high?

Middlestadt might not even be the best rookie on the Sabres next season.

I am trying to temper my enthusiam, but Casey getting 5 points in 6 games this year has me expecting that he is in the conversation about being top 3 in Calder voting next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Get some confidence at the World Championships, start the year with that momentum, and have a consistently improving year, but at points run into a wall that he will need to learn to get out of.

I'm curious what sort of study they give him. He's competitive on puck battles, it'd be great if they hone that some in how he pursues. We know he's creative with the puck, he'll make plays. What he will need to fill in the most is detail off the puck and in defensive coverage. That can start sooner rather than waiting until fall. Same thing with faceoff work.

They might be able to flex him up on Jack's wing or back down to his own line depending on opponent while he settles into an NHL role. I'm curious what they plan to do with lineup and usage. If he's the #3 center, the third line can't be AHLers and fringe NHL talent that can't keep up with the play.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'd settle for looking like we actually belong in the NHL. Specifically, being able to complete more than two passes in a row consistently.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Again, too soon to tell re: wins / losses / points / standings, etc.

Here's my expectation for the Sabres:
1. A handful of wins were because the Sabre goalie stole the game.
2. A handful of losses were because the opponent goalie stole the game.
3. A handful more losses would have been blowout losses if it weren't for the Sabres goaltending.
[I'll wait another year to stop expecting to see the opposing team's backup goalie play most every night.]
4. They take more shots per game from the slot, and give up fewer shots from the slot.
5. Ristolainen and O'Reilly don't league the lead in TOI at their positions, and play a couple minutes less per game.
6. The Sabres team as a whole shows up for more than half of their second periods, as opposed to impersonating 20th century French military capitulation.
7. They take a few more games to overtime.
8. They have more than the 2-3 come-from-behind-wins entering the 3rd period that I recall from the past season.
9. They change lines on the fly with urgency.
10. Clear on-ice and off-ice leadership emerges by Christmas, with some evidence of effect.

Bonus: More games in the Winter Classic approximation of the 1970-80's sweater.

Without knowing what Botts will do at the draft and thereon through to the end of training camp, I'd set the bar for at least being competitive. It was pretty obvious we weren't likely to make the playoffs at Halloween this past season, which is pathetic.

Exactly.

Playoffs? No, but I'm open to it.
<snip>

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Bottom five, pre-roster movement, and everybody expects there to be roster movement of some kind.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think the Sabres will start the season like a team possessed winning 20 out of their first 25 and all but clinch a playoff berth by the all star break. Beaulieu will shock the hockey world by emerging as the Sabres #1 dman and be voted a starter on the all star team. His name will be mentioned in Norris discussions. The Sabres will end the season in a mini-slump causing their more cynical fans to predict doom and gloom, then sweep the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. They'll go on to the conference finals with the pundits now picking them to win the cup. Then Beaulieu will suffer a mysterious leg infection crushing their fans hopes and dreams like an aluminum beer can.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That would mean he's playing in Rochester.
(The Calder Cup is awarded to the AHL champion.)

This is the first time I’ve given any thought to him being in the convo for rookie of the year next year. For whatever reason, it never crossed my mind.

Wouldn’t that be awesome

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Miss the playoffs by a few spots but win the draft lottery and move up 12 spots. Would be the ideal situation for this franchise after losing their third draft lottery in a row after finishing last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad