Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Soderstrom(and all the other top D after Byram, for that matter) are too vanilla to go top 10.

Not sure any of them project as more than safe, reliable #2/#3Ds.

maybe......but half of those forwards will bust too.

maybe you can trade a d for a top six forward and replace him with a safer d pick (in a year or two)

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
My thoughts from the U18s that I posted in the other thread:

Hughes: Rough first game, but he came as advertised. Plays more like Marner than Gaudreau.

Turcotte: Not as flashy a game as I expected to see. He plays hard and puts his heart on the ice every shift. Great vision and speed, and is managing to produce with poor linemates. Really like his game.

Boldy: Not at all what I expected. From what I'd seen/read, he was a good two-way player with nice hands and a great shot. So far, he's been all-finesse. Setting up plays left-and-right and looking like a dynamic playmaker. That said, he needs to shoot more. I don't think I've seen him take a shot yet. Solid option at 8.

Caufield:
Man oh man, he's good. He knows where to be and never misses. 7 goals, 10 points in 2 games, and hit 2 posts as well. I would love to have him at 8th overall.

Krebs: Canada's best player by far. 4 points in 2 games and is great both with and without the puck. Would love him at 8.

Cozens: Awful first two games. Has a goal, but pretty invisible at even strength and doesn't support the defense well at all. I'd try to avoid him.

Podkolzin: Haven't watched him, but from what I've read, he's not been good. Pointless in 2 games - his team has scored 5 in each of them.

Byram
Turcotte
Dach
Krebs
Caufield
Boldy
Zegras
Podkolzin
Cozens

..is how I rank them right now.
I don't think Caufield will be around at pick 8.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Soderstrom(and all the other top D after Byram, for that matter) are too vanilla to go top 10.

Not sure any of them project as more than safe, reliable #2/#3Ds.

I agree, I see flashes of talent from some of the dmen this year but not enough to break the top 10. Its a bit of an interesting year because their are a few guys that I think are safe bets to be NHL defensemen and others that have the potential to be top pairing guys but havent come close to reaching that potential. Right now I have the dmen im the 1st round ranked:

1. Byram - Kid is the clear cut number one defenceman for the draft. I wont go into too much detail here but I could see him being a Morgan Reilly type.

2. York - Not sure York could do anything else to raise his stock. It doesnt seem to matter how many points he puts up or good plays he makes, scouts and fans just attribute it to his teammates. IMO he is the cream of the crop from the rest of the US defenceman and the stats back it up. It takes a smart player to play with those guys. Reminds me a bit of Sekera.

3. Heinola - I think the talent is there but he had such a brutal U18s that people kind of soured on him. I think he will need some type to develop but when he does hes one of the few dmen that can do it all. I think hes a low risk but high reward defenceman. Reminds me Hesikanen.

4. Broberg - I'm not usually a big fan of defenceman that arent defence first kind of guys. All of the offensive skills are there and he has a lot of potential. He could really become something special if he continues to work on his defensive game and hockey IQ. Risky pick. Kind of reminds me of Pitkanen.

5. Soderstrom - Safe pick. Probably tbe best dmen at playing defence but I question his upside. He is a great puck mover but a bit undersized. I think whoever takes him will be happy but wont be hitting any home runs. I see a Brodin type.

6. Harley - A riskier pick like Broberg but has a higher floor then Broberg imo. I think Broberg has the higher upside but Harley still oozes potential. He will be a player at the NHL level but needs to put it all together. Hes smart but I'm not sure he will commit himself to the defensive zone.

7. Seider - Doesnt have the offensive potential as the other guys but I see him playing a smart reliable underrated game. Doesnt wow me but at 6'4 with a right handed shot I could see teams taking him earlier.

Reactions: scotchtapejr

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I agree, I see flashes of talent from some of the dmen this year but not enough to break the top 10. Its a bit of an interesting year because their are a few guys that I think are safe bets to be NHL defensemen and others that have the potential to be top pairing guys but havent come close to reaching that potential. Right now I have the dmen im the 1st round ranked:

1. Byram - Kid is the clear cut number one defenceman for the draft. I wont go into too much detail here but I could see him being a Morgan Reilly type.

2. York - Not sure York could do anything else to raise his stock. It doesnt seem to matter how many points he puts up or good plays he makes, scouts and fans just attribute it to his teammates. IMO he is the cream of the crop from the rest of the US defenceman and the stats back it up. It takes a smart player to play with those guys. Reminds me a bit of Sekera.

3. Heinola - I think the talent is there but he had such a brutal U18s that people kind of soured on him. I think he will need some type to develop but when he does hes one of the few dmen that can do it all. I think hes a low risk but high reward defenceman. Reminds me Hesikanen.

4. Broberg - I'm not usually a big fan of defenceman that arent defence first kind of guys. All of the offensive skills are there and he has a lot of potential. He could really become something special if he continues to work on his defensive game and hockey IQ. Risky pick. Kind of reminds me of Pitkanen.

5. Soderstrom - Safe pick. Probably tbe best dmen at playing defence but I question his upside. He is a great puck mover but a bit undersized. I think whoever takes him will be happy but wont be hitting any home runs. I see a Brodin type.

6. Harley - A riskier pick like Broberg but has a higher floor then Broberg imo. I think Broberg has the higher upside but Harley still oozes potential. He will be a player at the NHL level but needs to put it all together. Hes smart but I'm not sure he will commit himself to the defensive zone.

7. Seider - Doesnt have the offensive potential as the other guys but I see him playing a smart reliable underrated game. Doesnt wow me but at 6'4 with a right handed shot I could see teams taking him earlier.
I agree with all of this except Broberg. He doesn't seem like a risky pick to me. I think he's a very good bet to be a second pairing defenseman with his size, speed, and already good defensive ability, but I don't think he has the vision or passing to become any better offensively.

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
Been trying to make a top 15 list ALA the old https://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/. This is a BPA list, not what I think teams should or will pick. I've had limited time to watch some highlights and read about prospects but so far this is what I've got. List subject to change with further "scouting".

1. Hughes (9.0) B
2. Kakko (8.5) B
3. Byram (8.5) C
4. Turcotte (8.5) C
5. Podkolzin (8.5) C
6. Boldy (8.0) B
7. Caufield (8.5) C
8. Broberg (8.5) C
9. Cozens (8.5) C
10. Soderstrom (8.0) C
11. Zegras (8.0) C
12. Newhook (8.0) C
13. Krebs (8.0) C
14. Dach (8.0) C
15. Heinola (8.0) C *Just reading no video*

I have not had time to evaluate any players not on this list. With that said there is a possibility someone can sneak into it, specially in that #15 slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I feel like if Holland is our GM. We will be picking Podkolzin if he drops or the next top ranking swede.
Not sure if that is good or bad.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I feel like if Holland is our GM. We will be picking Podkolzin if he drops or the next top ranking swede.
Not sure if that is good or bad.
Since 2013 the Wings 1st rounders have come from: QMJHL(4), WHL(1), BCHL(1) and USHL(1). Haven't drafted a player from a European league in the 1st round since Kronwall in 2000. So I don't think that's really an accurate conclusion at all....

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Since 2013 the Wings 1st rounders have come from: QMJHL(4), WHL(1), BCHL(1) and USHL(1). Haven't drafted a player from a European league in the 1st round since Kronwall in 2000. So I don't think that's really an accurate conclusion at all....
Good post. I also don't think he'll have a huge effect on who we draft. When Lou Lamoriello was hired last year he didn't handle the draft.

Reactions: kurtcobang

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My list right now for who I would pick at 8 depending who is available (didn't go beyond 12 because I don't see more than 3 or 4 potentially leaping onto this list).

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Caufield
7. Dach
8. Newhook
9. Krebs
10. Boldy
11. York
12. Cozens

Cozens is my bust candidate because I'm not sure the hockey IQ is there. Podkolzin is someone I just really don't want them to pick, not enough offensive upside imo. Boldy I'm on the fence with and thats why he's at 10, mostly because his skating scares me, but I like the rest of his game. I'm really hoping we get one of the 4-6 USA guys on my list. I'm very high on the USA guys in this draft.

Reactions: North

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My list right now for who I would pick at 8 depending who is available (didn't go beyond 12 because I don't see more than 3 or 4 potentially leaping onto this list).

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Caufield
7. Dach
8. Newhook
9. Krebs
10. Boldy
11. York
12. Cozens

Cozens is my bust candidate because I'm not sure the hockey IQ is there. Podkolzin is someone I just really don't want them to pick, not enough offensive upside imo. Boldy I'm on the fence with and thats why he's at 10, mostly because his skating scares me, but I like the rest of his game. I'm really hoping we get one of the 4-6 USA guys on my list. I'm very high on the USA guys in this draft.

I agree wholeheartedly with your Podkolzin/Cozens takes. Here's my top 11:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Dach
5. Turcotte
6. Zegras
7. Krebs
8. Newhook/Caufield
9. Caufield/Newhook
10. Boldy
11. York

Reactions: North

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree wholeheartedly with your Podkolzin/Cozens takes. Here's my top 11:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Dach
5. Turcotte
6. Zegras
7. Krebs
8. Newhook/Caufield
9. Caufield/Newhook
10. Boldy
11. York
I like that list. I have trouble slotting Dach because every time I watch him I'm impressed, but I wish it would have translated more to the stat sheet. Call it a yellow flag, which is why he drops below the USA guys for me. I like York's game and I think he's the 2nd best D in the draft, but I hope we don't pick him because I want us to take a forward unless Byram falls by some miracle (he won't). Really I would be thrilled with any of 4-8 on your list.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
I like that list. I have trouble slotting Dach because every time I watch him I'm impressed, but I wish it would have translated more to the stat sheet. Call it a yellow flag, which is why he drops below the USA guys for me. I like York's game and I think he's the 2nd best D in the draft, but I hope we don't pick him because I want us to take a forward unless Byram falls by some miracle (he won't). Really I would be thrilled with any of 4-8 on your list.

Two things about Dach's production. First of all, he suffered a knee injury (which he played through) and had a really horrible statline in that period. He also doesn't have great linemates, he plays on the 2nd line.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Two things about Dach's production. First of all, he suffered a knee injury (which he played through) and had a really horrible statline in that period. He also doesn't have great linemates, he plays on the 2nd line.
Those are definitely valid points, and when I watch him play I don't see the IQ issues I see with Cozens, nor do I see a guy who dominates junior players mainly because of just size and blazing speed. Dach has some filthy mitts on him, and is one heck of a playmaker. I do like the Getzlaf comparison for Dach when looking at the stats.

Best case scenario imo is Hughes, Kakko, Byram go 1, 2, 3. Two teams in the top 7 fall in love with Cozen's speed and size combo, and Podkolzin's ???, and then I think it's almost a given that Turcotte will go in the top 7. That would leave us with at least one of Zegras or Dach on the board, with Caufield as the consolation prize if they really want a goal scorer.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Those are definitely valid points, and when I watch him play I don't see the IQ issues I see with Cozens, nor do I see a guy who dominates junior players mainly because of just size and blazing speed. Dach has some filthy mitts on him, and is one heck of a playmaker. I do like the Getzlaf comparison for Dach when looking at the stats.

Best case scenario imo is Hughes, Kakko, Byram go 1, 2, 3. Two teams in the top 7 fall in love with Cozen's speed and size combo, and Podkolzin's ???, and then I think it's almost a given that Turcotte will go in the top 7. That would leave us with at least one of Zegras or Dach on the board, with Caufield as the consolation prize if they really want a goal scorer.

Devils: Hughes
Rags: Kakko
Hawks: Byram
Avs: Turcotte
Kings:
Wings
Sabres: Caufield/Zegras/Boldy (New Sabres GM hasn't drafted a CHL player yet, loves his USHL players)

Basically, we need the Kings and the Wings to take Cozens and Podkolzin.
Unlikely, but a higher chance than I previously thought.
God I want Dach so bad.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Caufield
7. Dach
8. Newhook
9. Krebs
10. Boldy
11. York
12. Cozens

One of the better lists I've seen. Pretty similar to mine. Here's my list, obviously a bit longer, but the top end guys are close to yours.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Devils: Hughes
Rags: Kakko
Hawks: Byram
Avs: Turcotte
Kings:
Wings
Sabres: Caufield/Zegras/Boldy (New Sabres GM hasn't drafted a CHL player yet, loves his USHL players)

Basically, we need the Kings and the Wings to take Cozens and Podkolzin.
Unlikely, but a higher chance than I previously thought.
God I want Dach so bad.
It's hard to predict. Cozens and Pod are both high on a lot of lists, so I'm hoping that's true of the Kings. I think it's fairly likely one of them goes in the top 7, but I'm not sure that both will.

One of the better lists I've seen. Pretty similar to mine. Here's my list, obviously a bit longer, but the top end guys are close to yours.

I think 4-10 is pretty interchangeable. We all value things a little differently and it's a pretty unique group. Lots of good combos of various attributes like hockey IQ, skating, playmaking, hands, 2-way play, and goal scoring in that group. Depending on what you're looking for you really can't go wrong with any of Turcotte, Dach, Caufield, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs, or Boldy at 4-10.

Reactions: Llamamoto

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It's hard to predict. Cozens and Pod are both high on a lot of lists, so I'm hoping that's true of the Kings. I think it's fairly likely one of them goes in the top 7, but I'm not sure that both will.

I think 4-10 is pretty interchangeable. We all value things a little differently and it's a pretty unique group. Lots of good combos of various attributes like hockey IQ, skating, playmaking, hands, 2-way play, and goal scoring in that group. Depending on what you're looking for you really can't go wrong with any of Turcotte, Dach, Caufield, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs, or Boldy at 4-10.
I'm pretty sure Cozens will be picked in the top-7. Podkolzin I could definitely see falling though.

Reactions: McFlyingV

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honest question, but what is an educated guess on the difference in potential between the 8 pick in this draft versus trading back into the late teens to select a player like Tomasino?

I think that there are really only two surefire top line scoring prospects in this draft and after that, I'm not convinced that there's an overwhelming gap between the B and C level first round talent in this particular draft.

Personally I'm not attached to anyone realistically available at that pick, which is why I would be open to moving back for the opportunity to scoop another pick in the top 62.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Honest question, but what is an educated guess on the difference in potential between the 8 pick in this draft versus trading back into the late teens to select a player like Tomasino?

I think that there are really only two surefire top line scoring prospects in this draftand after that, I'm not convinced that there's an overwhelming gap between the B and C level first round talent in this particular draft.

Personally I'm not attached to anyone realistically available at that pick, which is why I would be open to moving back for the opportunity to scoop another pick in the top 62.
The only way I'm moving back is if we can attach Lucic and still end up with a guy like Tomasino.

We need as high end of a talent as we can get from this draft. Specifically at forward.

Reactions: nally

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think that there are really only two surefire top line scoring prospects in this draftand after that, I'm not convinced that there's an overwhelming gap between the B and C level first round talent in this particular draft.

I think it only seems close because of Tomasino.

If someone takes him at say 15, then the gap seems massive to me.

North

Jun 25, 2009
One team I think that's an x factor for the first round is the Jets.

They have two players that are most likely on the table that could give them high first round picks.

Trouba and Ehlers. They can't take huge cap back because they have to sign Connor and Laine.

I wonder if there is anyone in the top ten (not counting the top two and the Oilers) that would be willing to give up their pick to get one of Trouba (would have to be a US team for him) or Ehlers?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only way I'm moving back is if we can attach Lucic and still end up with a guy like Tomasino.

We need as high end of a talent as we can get from this draft. Specifically at forward.
Not that I disagree, but the question is really how big of a gap there is. I think the Oilers are in a bigger need in terms of quantity than quality in this draft considering the player we're ultimately selecting at 8 is at a minimum two seasons away.

You look at guys like Dach, Krebs, Boldy, Cozens, Zegras, etc...who's a surefire talent? They all seem like 'safe' bets in my eyes. All likely second line forward upsides. Tomasino's upside IMO is in that same range, just the likelihood he gets there isn't is as certain.

I see these prospects as tradable assets, which is why I'm thinking we might be better off going for quantity if there's a sleeper in the top 62 we're confident we could grab.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I see this draft being wide open honestly. Some of the guys we're talking about picking will fall into the teens.

Reactions: B33K33PING
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad