GDT: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN, SN, TVAS)

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The guy scored 11 goals in 39 games, some of ya'll are being drama queens.

Guy is a good skater than can get shots through and is good in his own end with leader ship qualities.

Got to bookmark this thread and look back in a few years. :laugh:

If the kid turns out to be a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman it’s gonna be fun to read the salt here.

Let’s see who’s left on the board after round 1. I’m thinking there will be a forward or two we weren’t thinking would still be there.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's not who I wanted, but don't compare him to Forbort, he's not like that. He reminds me more of Norstrom, honestly. His skating is really, really good and he has that smooth stride Matty did. Really good acceleration when going backwards too. He won't get blown around the outside like Forbort does at least.

He's a transition guy, he can break up plays and get the puck moving which is something this team sorely lacks. I get the whole compete stuff, that seems to be the theme among teams this year so unsurprising to hear that from Blake. I really would have liked to see a scorer taken because there's a good chance he would have been there at the beginning of the 2nd round. But this is not a bad pick, just a less risky one. They like him enough to worry about him dropping, apparently. And who has been taken so far might indicate a player they really like will be available at 33.

I would say there's no one like him in our system right now, this pick was probably partly driven by our inability to get the puck moving forward quickly. IIRC that was one of the first things out of Blake's and TM mouths after his hire.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
  1. Tobias Bjornfot, D, Djuargarden-J20 SuperElit
April 6, 2001 | six-foot | 203 pounds
Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 45
Hockey Sense: 55
Bjornfot was a touted prospect for a few years and a minutes eater for Sweden’s international teams, including being one of the best defensemen at the U18s and named the best defenseman in Sweden’s J20 league. His skating provides a lot of his value. His ability to lead a rush, pinch off the blueline and close on his checks is very good. His feet allow him to make stops and transition pucks. He has solid defensive acumen and generally is trusted by coaches to play tougher minutes. His puck game is average. He can have the odd flash offensively due to his feet and above-average vision. His skill level doesn’t overly impress, but there were times, particularly in the second half of the season, he showed more confidence making creative plays. He could be a reliable two-way defenseman in the NHL who might not put up points.
NHL scout on Bjornfot: “He’s not flashy, but he’s a very mobile and smart defenseman. He kills a lot of plays, can skate pucks up and can give you some offense.”

DanKD

May 1, 2010
I like the pick, seems super solid. They need a high upside offensive player with their next pick though.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The more they talk, the more i hate it.

Do we not have 100 of this ****ing guy in our system already?

Like is anyone questioning our ability to find bottom pairing d-men?

I don't think we do, to be honest. This guy turns around the play really quickly. From the games I've seen he's also really adept at breaking up outnumbered attacks. That skillset should come in handy :laugh:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Got to bookmark this thread and look back in a few years. :laugh:

If the kid turns out to be a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman it’s gonna be fun to read the salt here.

Let’s see who’s left on the board after round 1. I’m thinking there will be a forward or two we weren’t thinking would still be there.

It has nothing to do with how serviceable he may or may not be. He is not going to be much better than we already have and this team still cant score.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Left-handed defensemen in the Kings' system:
  1. Alec Martinez
  2. Derek Forbort
  3. Daniel Brickley
  4. Kurtis MacDermid
  5. Kale Clague
  6. Alex Lintuniemi
  7. Jacob Moverare
  8. Chaz Reddekopp
  9. Mikey Anderson
  10. Markus Phillips
  11. Cole Hults

Martinez is one of the large group of babysitters on the roster, he'll be gone before they win again. Forbort will be gone after next year. Brickley is likely nothing. MacD is probably not much. Lintuniemi is probably less than that. Moverare is still in Sweden. Reddekopp is likely nothing. Out of 11, there's 4 that might be something since they're all 21 or younger. Are you listing them as a complaint about the pick, or to emphasis the lack of depth the Kings have in that position?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I thought McMichael really care on in his 2nd year in Hamilton prior to him being dealt to London for Robert Thomas. Kid has good hands.

Good selection here for the Caps

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Some of you are hilarious and others are down right stupid with your comments...
We lucked into Alex f***en Turcotte!!! They could have selected the parking lot attendant and it be a great draft....

Keep this in mind, this isn’t a DL draft but rather a BPA one, so when this scouting staff feels this strongly about a Dman to select him in the 1st round... he must be really good... Clague, Anderson, Phillips and even Durzi were not 1st rounder but Bjornfot was so keep that mind and don’t be surprised not if but when the kid proves to be the right pick...

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Seems like we've been complaining about this for at least this entire season, if not the last few years, as the core that Lombardi inherited has no real character, and had to be surrounded by real men.

Yeah, I've been led to believe that all the Stanley-Cup-winning vets are gutless, heartless pukes, and provide negative leadership.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad