2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Imagine being a prospect drafted by our team and reading your prospect thread here.

This place is so sickeningly toxic I don’t even know why I bother anymore.
The shitposting will continue until morale improves

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Welcome to Edmonton Oilers Philip Broberg.

What I see in you is rough diamond which needs to be developed well. Ken Holland perhaps thinks new NHL in a way that some defenders can play almost like fourth forward but close to 30 minutes per game. No forward can do it on nightly basis. Like Karlsson, Josi, Burns, Klingberg, Heiskanen but that kind of play and ice time needs suberb skating. You have that already but there is still a lot more to learn and develop. I am not penciling you to become next Karlsson, but there is need to draft defenders who might have possibility to reach that level as they are too steep priced to either sign at FA or trade for. Our superstar #97 doesn’t have so many great supporting players around him yet and therefore this board was high on some scoring wingers and disappointed when didn’t get one. I look now that drafting dman with great motor to drive plays might be even better choice based on that ice time difference between forwards and defenders.

If you play next season at Skellefteå, it is possible that I come to watch your play. But I hope you would choose to play in NA already after summer.

Really looking forward how you develop and where you choose to play next. Have a nice summer and train hard!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Imagine being a prospect drafted by our team and reading your prospect thread here.

This place is so sickeningly toxic I don’t even know why I bother anymore.
I've been drinking and I'm honestly pretty disgusted with myself.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Man made it through 7 pages before I couldn’t read anymore. So many posters that know more than Ken Holland :laugh:

Hopefully Broberg develops and turns into a stud for us.
We knew this was Ken Holland.

But he ain't gonna sell many tickets for us.

I didn't want a risk adverse manager, but that's what we got.

I hope he understands the Connor window we have here.

Iam underwhelmed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not gonna lie, was a little disappointed when we passed on Zegras. Not terribly upset with the pick, just wish we tried to trade down. Even getting a 3rd or something would’ve been nice, Philly got a 2nd going down three spots zz.

Just give him a chance before we write him off.
that implies that according to GMs, Broberg was not worth where he was drafted. I've seen many "consensus" picks who slid and ended up not being as good as us fans thought. Sometimes, the fan consensus is correct, but it's not a consistent measure. I used to be a student of the draft but I've given up on that guessing game. This pick seems as likely to pan out as any other major name mentioned that "should" have been taken.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Not going to dump on the kid. Hopefully he becomes a stud for us on defence

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
For the people who have watched him more than hi light packages, who question his hockey sense and decision making, is the poor decision more in the swedish league where he’s playing against men? He seemed to do pretty well against his age group.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We knew this was Ken Holland.

But he ain't gonna sell many tickets for us.

I didn't want a risk adverse manager, but that's what we got.

I hope he understands the Connor window we have here.

Iam underwhelmed.

Chiarelli liked taking risks.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It won't really matter because the spelling fits into English so well, but his name is pronounced much closer to Brooberry than Broberg.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At least you admit it man.

Like take a step back bro, this is a 17 year old kid.
Yeah I'm more dissapointed with the org than anything else. Not for the kid but because a defender, especially a left handed one wasn't a need or arguably BPA. He could prove me wrong, and I hope he does. And his game is definitely not as bad as I've said. I also worry that him coming fr a nobody to a great Hlinka to a very very underwhelming regular season to a great U18 is a big risk because they are hoping his highs are him and not his lows or something in between.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hockey's Future Oilers - let's spend thread after thread analyzing and discussing prospects.

Also HFOil - HOW DARE PEOPLE HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT OUR FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK.

Not sure how you can argue this isn't a reach that seems to make no sense given our needs, but hopefully Holland sees something everyone else doesn't seem to and the kid develops into a star. He definitely has the tools, better than what I thought Nurse had in his draft year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Didn't Holland & Babcock roll out 5 or 6 LD on the regular in Detroit?

Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Broberg
Lagesson - Jones

God dammit, Holland re-opened the Leftorium.

You forgot Bear.
One or two of those guys is going to get traded, they almost have to trade them with them being exposed to waivers soon. It just better not be Samorukov being the one traded, that is something that's sure to bite them in the rear eventually.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Okay
Chiarelli liked taking risks.
then how did we never end up with any form of offensive Dman, and only jettison the only thing we had that was close, in Schultz? Chiarelli mostly just made bad moves. I could get behind a bad trade easier if it was an attempt to fill a gap in the roster.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Button's report fwiw.
EhxQ6WK.png

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/nhlf-broberg-061119~1705103/button-draft-profile-philip-broberg~1705103

Reactions: McDoused

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
It almost like there’s posters who would rather prospects fail just so they can be happy that a scout or management made the wrong pick.

It really is messed up.

That attitude is very common on these boards. Team seems to be attempting to head in a positive direction but the fans are set in their toxic ways.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
that implies that according to GMs, Broberg was not worth where he was drafted. I've seen many "consensus" picks who slid and ended up not being as good as us fans thought. Sometimes, the fan consensus is correct, but it's not a consistent measure. I used to be a student of the draft but I've given up on that guessing game. This pick seems as likely to pan out as any other major name mentioned that "should" have been taken.

I need to like this 100 times, but I'm still on a timeout

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
We need a masai ujuri here. Not a Ken Holland.

I don't give a shit about being competitive for the next 10 years. I want to win soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad