2019 Canucks Offseason Thread (FA,Rumors, Trades)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
As a way to start it off.

I’d suspect the Canucks being in on Karlsson has to do with offering the most unless I missed something.

I think Benning swings for the fences on him

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We have cap space and money but might even be his agent blowing smoke to get some bidding. I don't think he stays in San Jose and if Lighting want him he's theirs I'm sure they'd make it work somehow. Not sure if Rangers even want him as they are further back in rebuild then us even. If it's just money we have a shot and the Swedish Touch we have (pun intended) should help. I'm for getting him but his injury history is getting dangerous. Better him then Benning wasting money on Gardiner or Myers though.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Free Agency:
W-Duchene, Skinner, Panarin, Marner (RFA)
D-Karlsson

Known to be available from a Trade:
W-Kessel, Hoffman, Zucker
D-Subban

I know which group I'd be focusing on to begin with.

If we can score one or two big names, that's a win.

If not, the lesser free agency names (Eberle, Hayes, Zuccarello, Lee, Dzingel, Nyquist) if they aren't tied up for too long or too much money, or even one of the D (Myers, Coburn, Stralman, McQuaid....Gardiner) could help.

Although short term they could be just what we need, I hope we keep away from Ferland or Simmonds.

Last edited:

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Interesting, I wonder if that is based on anything or just his feeling on the matter.

I personally don't want anything to do with him. He is an enticing talent for certain, however his body is starting to fail him. He looked great at times offensively in the playoffs however his defensive play left a lot to be desired for me. He does not look like the same skater he once was.

If we are talking +10M at 7 years with full NMC protection, that is a very dangerous contract for a team in our position. While it's tempting to add a player like him to this roster, I hope he goes elsewhere.

Reactions: racerjoe

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Give me Panarin or Karlsson for sure. When you have an opportunity to get these kind of guys for only cap space+commitment, you do it. Make a play for Marner if you can, but the price will obviously be astronomical, offer sheet or not. I don't think Duchene will make it to UFA, but I might be wrong.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Interesting, I wonder if that is based on anything or just his feeling on the matter.

Yeah something doesn't add up in the equation. The player/agent is free to express where they'd like to play if they want, but a team is strictly denied being able to express interest in any players they don't own the rights to yet. Could they try and sneak around the restrictions? Sure, but considering teams now have the option to talk to any free agent a week before July 1st there's really no point in risking it anymore.

So either a) Friedman is just making up what he thinks is happening or b) he's talking to someone in the Karlsson camp who's feeding him the preferred teams but Friedman doesn't know what those teams plans are. Because it's extremely unlikely that the answer is c) Friedman is privy to covert negotiations between the player and the teams.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Karlsson would be a game changer
Yes he really can be,him and Hughes on the pp would be fun to watch.Get the twins and Petty to have a chat with him.On a serious note,I'd want him to be healthy coming here if that happens.He can bring big time leadership and maybe smack Ericsson upside his head and wake him up.
Would be great to sign him.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Only concern I have with Karlsson is his injury history. Didnt the Sharks coach say he was only healthy for like 6 weeks this whole season?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
On many levels.

Team performance
An actual leader in the room that can make a difference on the ice
Optics for the franchise by other free agents

If the canucks sign Karlsson they won't have any money left to sign other free agents. Though with Benning at the helm that might not be entirely bad.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Like I said in the other thread, pay Karlsson and Panarin whatever they want; outbid everyone. I don't care if it's $25 million (or more) a year for the two of them. They'll get their money's worth with those two compared to the $28 million they're paying Loui, Beagle, Baertschi, Pearson (though I liked what I saw with him on Horvat's line), Sutter, Schaller, Roussel and Spooner.

Dump some of those scrubs along with Tanev for whatever you can get. Include picks to get some of them off the books if you must.

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes need more elite talent around them. EK and Panarin are well established star players that can push them and help create a winning culture.

Karlsson scored 45 points on one leg in 52 games. That'd be 4th on the Canucks. Panarin's a point per game guy.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I’m ready to give Karlsson a massive contract. This team sucks ass might aswell get some talented players instead of Eriksson and Sutter.

Reactions: The Drop

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
In 2017 Erik Karlsson was the best player in the NHL.

You’re probably not getting that player anymore due to his recent surgery. But for the next 3-5 years Karlsson will unquestionably be a top 10
defender in the league.

It took him a while to get accustomed to San Jose’s system but once he did he was a PPG defender with the best possession stats of his career.

This is a player that would absolutely change this franchise, he would instantly be the best defender this franchise has ever seen and already among the top 5 players to even put on a Canucks jersey.

Having this player to transition the puck to our elite young talent and quarterback our power play would be franchise changing.

I’d give him whatever he wants in terms of salary.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are there that many destinations that Karlsson would be interested in playing? He could re-sign with San Jose but his twitter post sure sounds like goodbye. He played many years in Ottawa and I think his wife is from Ontario. He's very good friends with Hedman and Tampa does give him a chance to win. Toronto doesn't have the cap space but I would assume he wouldn't mind returning to Ontario. That leaves the usual Detroit, New York, and Colorado that tends to attract Swedes. Vancouver also has a rich history with Swedish players (I'm sure Sedins, Edler, and Sundin would put in a good word).

Reactions: JuniorNelson

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah unless Karlsson legitimately really wants to play in Vancouver, we aren't competing with TB or NY for his services. I'm sure Benning will make hefty offers to all the marquee FAs, but I expect us to end up with like Myers/Ferland or something. Maybe Gardiner.

It actually looks like they'll be a good trade market this summer as well, but I don't have a lot of faith in management's ability to pull it off.

Reactions: The Drop

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Karlsson Hughes Petterrson Boeser and please lord Caufield on the powerplay and I’m buying everybody on HFBoards drinks for life

That 5th spot on the power play can belong to just about anybody but one more goal scorer for Petey to dish to and you have the best powerplay in the league ( change my mind!!! )

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Erik Karlsson would be a godsend.

Being able to ice Karlsson and Hughes 25+ minutes each on the backend would change the entire complexion of the franchise.

Plus our elite young forwards would get a nice point boost as well.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Karlsson Hughes Petterrson Boeser and please lord Caufield on the powerplay and I’m buying everybody on HFBoards drinks for life

That 5th spot on the power play can belong to just about anybody but one more goal scorer for Petey to dish to and you have the best powerplay in the league ( change my mind!!! )
Saved for future reference. :sarcasm::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad