2019 Boston sports survey - Revs are climbing UP

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Who the hell are "the Revs"? What does this have to do with hockey?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Who the hell are "the Revs"? What does this have to do with hockey?
The New England Revolution, their MLS team.

3% being their highest just sounds like it's just the margin of error going their way once though. I don't know why that was highlighted in the thread title when it's more relevant that the B's are higher than the Celtics for consecutive years.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I am surprised Revs are that high considering Celtics are only 10%. From what I can tell there is virtually no Revs coverage in New England sports media.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Should this be on the Boston board?

I took a quick look at the article and I have questions of their methodology used. I would like to see a complete breakdown of those who were asked , how the questions were asked or worded and other fun things.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Itd be interesting to see that survey in a timeframe where none of those teams is near a championship.
Would be the Red Sox, easily. Prior to the Super Bowl victories, the only time I heard WEEI (Boston sports radio) talking about the Patriots was when they needed a punchline for a joke.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I think Pats are marginally top with Red Sox behind. Definitely Bruins are third then Celtics. Revolution coverage apart from an advert on a few buses and the T metro stations is non-existent from my daily observations here (not saying there isn't a following for them).

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Nothing surprising about that. Boston was/is baseball and then hockey before the Tom Brady era. Before the Brady era the Pats were a just about non-entity and back when the Celtics were winning a ridiculous number of championships they were still pulling less than the Bruins, who were in the cellar of the NHL at the time.

What happens after Brady/Bellicheck retires will be interesting. Will a Patriots slump cause things to revert to a pre-Brady ranking of Red Sox 1, Bruins 2, Pats 3, Celtics 4, Revs 5? Dunno, depends on how bad the Pats actually get.

Kind of a silly poll anyway, and the OP is being a bit obtuse with their point. So the Revs are up to their highest support level ever, so what? Still a lot less than any other pro sports team in Boston.

Reactions: DaveG

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think Pats are marginally top with Red Sox behind. Definitely Bruins are third then Celtics. Revolution coverage apart from an advert on a few buses and the T metro stations is non-existent from my daily observations here (not saying there isn't a following for them).
The revs would benefit from playing in Boston or in a surrounding town like Cambridge or Brighton where they could attract a much wider demographic.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
The revs would benefit from playing in Boston or in a surrounding town like Cambridge or Brighton where they could attract a much wider demographic.

Funnily enough when I lived in Cambridge is where I would see those adverts. Live in Brighton now and don't see anything about MLS in these parts but with the student community they could garner some extra fans if they did play here or in Cambridge.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Most scientific polls have something like a 3% margin of error, so all that really show is that their support could be almost zero. Hardly proof of them trending upwards.

I also wouldn't read much into the Bruins being a point ahead of the Celtics either for that reason. It really just shows that the Boston sports scene is Pats first, then a gap, then Sox second, then another gap, and then Bruins and Celtics at a close 3/4, which is what I figured most would've assumed anyway.

The bigger question is overall support rather than favorite teams. There are assuredly fans that support all five teams, just as there are some that probably only support one, but the vast majority probably support some combo of four of the five or three of the five or two of the five. That'd be a more interesting one to me and to find out how mutually exclusive the Bruins and Celtics fanbases are, if at all.

Last edited:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1. The Bruins outdrew the Celtics during every season of Bill Russell's career.

2. I would trade the Super Bowl and the World Series for the Cup in a millisecond(and an NCAA title for BU, while we're at it).

3. Good for Bruce Arena and the Revs to make the playoffs, but the team will never leave Foxborough.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The craziest part of this is that the Celtics won 53 and 55 games in '17 and '18, and were still barely even noticed.

This era of the NBA is weird. Essentially every fanbase was burned out by Warriors vs LeBron four times in a row, and LeBron getting the Heat to four more consecutive championship series immediately prior to that further demoralized eastern fanbases for almost a decade straight then. Even when he went out west, almost everybody assumed that Golden State would win again, especially after they landed Boogie. Toronto actually winning, even against an injured Dubs team, probably did more good for the league by waking everybody out of that defeatist haze, though the insanely entertaining offseason didn't hurt either.

For the first time in a while, it feels like the path to a title actually exists for loads of teams. I think you could make a legitimate argument for the Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors again for major title shots, with spoilers interspersed in there like the Blazers, Jazz, Lakers, Nuggets, Pacers, and Nets once KD comes back all with deep run potential and even more. I wouldn't be surprised if a big rebound year in fan enthusiasm was possible for the Celtics in Boston with that in mind.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This era of the NBA is weird. Essentially every fanbase was burned out by Warriors vs LeBron four times in a row, and LeBron getting the Heat to four more consecutive championship series immediately prior to that further demoralized eastern fanbases for almost a decade straight then. Even when he went out west, almost everybody assumed that Golden State would win again, especially after they landed Boogie. Toronto actually winning, even against an injured Dubs team, probably did more good for the league by waking everybody out of that defeatist haze, though the insanely entertaining offseason didn't hurt either.

For the first time in a while, it feels like the path to a title actually exists for loads of teams. I think you could make a legitimate argument for the Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors again for major title shots, with spoilers interspersed in there like the Blazers, Jazz, Lakers, Nuggets, Pacers, and Nets once KD comes back all with deep run potential and even more. I wouldn't be surprised if a big rebound year in fan enthusiasm was possible for the Celtics in Boston with that in mind.

Why do you include the Celtics and not the Raptors? Raptors are going to be better than the Celtics this season. Celtics will be lucky to win a round. They are not top 3 in that conference. Raps, Bucks, and 76ers.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why do you include the Celtics and not the Raptors? Raptors are going to be better than the Celtics this season. Celtics will be lucky to win a round. They are not top 3 in that conference. Raps, Bucks, and 76ers.

You're free to think that the Celtics aren't elite, but I can't wrap my head around the Raptors being elite anymore without Kawhi and Green. I'd view them as more akin to their old model, likely a good regular season team that gets punched down once everybody's going all out in the postseason. Maybe upgrade them to the list of spoiler teams in my post.

If I'm wrong, neat. I'm a Bulls fan with no horse in the race beyond rooting for the little brothers in LA and NYC because it'd be funny to see them win over the Lakers or Knicks and not wanting to see Golden State again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad