2019 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I guess Berglund just really didn't like playing in Buffalo or really didn't want to leave St. Louis, seems weird that anyone would throw that much of a stink to forgo 12 million dollars in pay though. His playing time was also down this season from what it traditionally was in St. Louis, so that might've contributed to his unhappiness. I assume he'll be back in the league eventually.
Might be a guy to look at in the future. Would have a vengence on the Blues and the crummy treatment he got from them

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Berglund is smart - Benning will probably sign him, and that whole walking away from 12M will look savvy when he's making more than that with us!

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Berglund is smart - Benning will probably sign him, and that whole walking away from 12M will look savvy when he's making more than that with us!

...that sounds very likely actually.

Would we even be a place he would want to be over Buffalo?

If we did happen to pick him up I hope this situation is just an extreme one off, not a sign he's extremely selfish or some kind of locker room cancer.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The Berglund situation is intriguing. BUF is waiving him for the purpose of a contract termination. Berglund's camp isn't going to let it go at that. They, alongside with the NHLPA, will fight for a settlement. So he should get some of that 12m. I am surprised though that BUF didn't trade him? Surely, a deal could have been worked out? (This was before the suspension)

Maybe each team didn't trade for him because the team would not be sure if he would play for them? In any event, now we'll know where he really wants to go, other than STL, of course.

Edit: Actually, the termination is mutual. That never happens. Berglund is agreeing to forgo the full 12m. Interesting.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Berglund situation is intriguing. BUF is waiving him for the purpose of a contract termination. Berglund's camp isn't going to let it go at that. They, alongside with the NHLPA, will fight for a settlement. So he should get some of that 12m. I am surprised though that BUF didn't trade him? Surely, a deal could have been worked out? (This was before the suspension)

Maybe each team didn't trade for him because the team would not be sure if he would play for them? In any event, now we'll know where he really wants to go, other than STL, of course.

Edit: Actually, the termination is mutual. That never happens. Berglund is agreeing to forgo the full 12m. Interesting.
Berglund should do some talking with Loui.:sarcasm:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Informal buyouts of the type common in other sports are impossible in the NHL. He could either stay in Buffalo or walk away from every penny of the money.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
nhl-dops_zpstnagv2ca.png

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

The "mutual" aspect of it just means that he implicitly agreed to terminate by not reporting to the team, it doesn't mean he and the union can't file a grievance which they almost certainly will.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I mean he's still banked $24MM USD gross in his career. I always wonder how many of these guys are with financial planning though....

Yep. Even with the recent slide stocks have been doing great over the last few years... with sensible investments he should have at least 10-15m or so in assets (even after taxes) and be set for life. How much do you need? He's a 30 year old guy, has his health, and has more money than he could spend....he doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to do or be anywhere he doesn't want to be (like Buffalo NY). It's not going well for him in Buffalo and the team are probably happy to see him leave as they need the room to resign Skinner, so he doesn't even have to feel guilty about that.

What price happiness?

Reactions: timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I mean he's still banked $24MM USD gross in his career. I always wonder how many of these guys are with financial planning though....

This is a major issue amongst retired players. Generally, the guys that make big bucks end up doing OK. If they don't, you usually hear about it in the news (Mike Modano or Jack Johnson, for example). But there's a long list of players who had decently long careers in the NHL making OK money, or even more journeyman types who never banked the big bucks, that find themselves in real trouble during retirement.

One of the biggest issues is "who do you trust". NHL players - and celebrities in general - are susceptible to the "hey, I've got a friend who has a great investment opportunity" for you gig. A case in point is the Bear Mountain Golf Resort: Current, former NHL players lose more than $13-million in resort deal

There were some guys who got absolutely ruined financially by this, even worse than what the article illustrates, and this is just one example that made the news.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
While it's tough for me to feel a huge amount of sympathy for players that burn thru all that money ( heh, they paid more in withholding taxes than I'll ever earn), I am aware many of these players turned professional right after high school ( I probably couldn't even balance my chequebook back then heh).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While it's tough for me to feel a huge amount of sympathy for players that burn thru all that money ( heh, they paid more in withholding taxes than I'll ever earn), I am aware many of these players turned professional right after high school ( I probably couldn't even balance my chequebook back then heh).

Consider the life of a journeyman; say they spend more time in the minors than the pros. Average salary of between $35,000 and $75,000. Not unlike what a teacher, banker, tradesperson might make. Except their career lasts between 5-15 years, as opposed to approximately 40 years for other professions. And by the time their career is over, they are largely uneducated and un-skilled, as their entire life has been hockey to that point, and can't afford to just never work again.

Even a guy that makes the NHL for a few seasons earning league minimum ($600,000 or so plus) needs to be extremely, extremely shrewd with that money to plan well for their post-hockey life.

Sure, there's guys who make a ton that manage to whittle it away and that's on them. But there is a problem with the guys who never earned that kind of money struggling in life after hockey.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This is a major issue amongst retired players. Generally, the guys that make big bucks end up doing OK. If they don't, you usually hear about it in the news (Mike Modano or Jack Johnson, for example). But there's a long list of players who had decently long careers in the NHL making OK money, or even more journeyman types who never banked the big bucks, that find themselves in real trouble during retirement.

One of the biggest issues is "who do you trust". NHL players - and celebrities in general - are susceptible to the "hey, I've got a friend who has a great investment opportunity" for you gig. A case in point is the Bear Mountain Golf Resort: Current, former NHL players lose more than $13-million in resort deal

There were some guys who got absolutely ruined financially by this, even worse than what the article illustrates, and this is just one example that made the news.
At 45, all former players with 160 games played or more get a 50,000 USD per year pension for life. Unless you take out crazy loans the worst you can do is end up in a nice apartment with a late-model car and a full fridge.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Arizona is the 2nd worst team in the NHL while trying to make the playoffs. But they’re a good team because analytics!!! Pierre McGuire was just on the radio yesterday talking about how teams based on analytics are a complete disaster and based on the evidence of teams like Arizona I have to admit he has a point.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Arizona is the 2nd worst team in the NHL while trying to make the playoffs. But they’re a good team because analytics!!! Pierre McGuire was just on the radio yesterday talking about how teams based on analytics are a complete disaster and based on the evidence of teams like Arizona I have to admit he has a point.

...blaming the failure in Arizona on analytics is like blaming a car crash on your odometer. Neither are actually controlling where you are going, they're just an extra set of information to help you make better decisions, but ultimately the blame for the crash goes to the person in the driver's seat.

Besides... every team is at least partially based on analytics these days. It's just information and analysis not some scary voodoo or thing completely removed from sports. Its beyond ridiculous and baseless for McGuire to make that claim.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Kings are looking like they might be able to make a run in the second half and crawl out of the basement? Or maybe the Sharks are just playing like ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad