Prospect Info: 2019 #76 - John Farinacci, Center

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
3F35805D-18BD-4BDB-A48C-F16AF984AFC2.png

Looks like Farinacci is a goner. Kinda disappointing but the days of him being high up on the C depth chart are long gone, especially with the rise of Lipkin.

Don’t draft Harvard kids

Reactions: Nowotny

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
For me it’s not even the disappointment of losing the player it’s the disappointment that I wasted my time following his development. Like chances are Farinacci doesn’t really have a future in the coyotes but he was still always an intriguing prospect. Oh well

Reactions: hbk

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m not going to cry over a 3 rd round pick. Should he make it to the league I would rough him up to the point of breaking him when he okays the Coyotes
*plays

Last edited:

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Meh. Didn’t really see him as a realistic option down the road for this team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I actually really liked Faranucci. With his injuries this year I don’t know how he thinks he can demand burning a year; especially after Doan just signed for 3.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I actually really liked Faranucci. With his injuries this year I don’t know how he thinks he can demand burning a year; especially after Doan just signed for 3.
Where are you seeing that he demanded that? All I see is that he doesn't intend to sign.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Where are you seeing that he demanded that? All I see is that he doesn't intend to sign.
It was reported on PhNX. Podcast i believe. Morgan also reported he wanted to sign right away after Harvard was eliminated.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Would any team give up a conditional draft pick for his signing rights? Not sure what value to place on him?
Didn't we do this same thing with Callahan? We got a 2024 7th from Boston. Callahan was drafted in the 5th round. Part of me thinks that a 6th or even a late 5th could be an opportunity.

Heck, if he was a piece to throw in for moving back up into the late 1st (#38, 2024 2nd and rights to Farinacci) for say pick #25 and a 4th? Not sure if that checks out value-wise, but I think that we could get a decent return...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Except there aren’t compensatory picks for third rounders. So I was actually too optimistic.
WOW....you called it.
Fox, Marino, Vesey, Kerfoot, now Farinacci ... interesting. I imagine the kinds of kids that play Ivy League hockey do so because they want to play Ivy League hockey, they stay all 4 years and get that degree from Harvard. And once you're staying all 4 years, there's basically no motivation to sign where you were drafted. Why wouldn't you just fast-forward to free agency if you can? Smart business by the kids, stupid business by NHL GM's to ignore this. To be fair, this wasn't "a trend" yet when Chayka drafted Farinacci, but even if it were, this weird, intangible "human factor" is something I doubt would have shown up in Chakya's spreadsheets.
Didn't we do this same thing with Callahan? We got a 2024 7th from Boston. Callahan was drafted in the 5th round. Part of me thinks that a 6th or even a late 5th could be an opportunity.

Heck, if he was a piece to throw in for moving back up into the late 1st (#38, 2024 2nd and rights to Farinacci) for say pick #25 and a 4th? Not sure if that checks out value-wise, but I think that we could get a decent return...
Callahan was a Boston kid who wanted to be in Boston, and he was traded when there were still 15 games left in the AHL season. Depending on where Farinacci wants to go, there may or may not be an AHL season left to play in.

Cleveland Monsters (Columbus) are trash.
San Diego Gulls (Anaheim) are trash.
Rockford (Chicago) will probably make playoffs.
San Jose Barracuda (San Jose) are trash.
Laval (Montreal) is trash.
Lehigh Valley (Philly) will make playoffs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Fox, Marino, Vesey, Kerfoot, now Farinacci ... interesting. I imagine the kinds of kids that play Ivy League hockey do so because they want to play Ivy League hockey, they stay all 4 years and get that degree from Harvard. And once you're staying all 4 years, there's basically no motivation to sign where you were drafted. Why wouldn't you just fast-forward to free agency if you can? Smart business by the kids, stupid business by NHL GM's to ignore this. To be fair, this wasn't "a trend" yet when Chayka drafted Farinacci, but even if it were, this weird, intangible "human factor" is something I doubt would have shown up in Chakya's spreadsheets.

Callahan was a Boston kid who wanted to be in Boston, and he was traded when there were still 15 games left in the AHL season. Depending on where Farinacci wants to go, there may or may not be an AHL season left to play in.

Cleveland Monsters (Columbus) are trash.
San Diego Gulls (Anaheim) are trash.
Rockford (Chicago) will probably make playoffs.
San Jose Barracuda (San Jose) are trash.
Laval (Montreal) is trash.
Lehigh Valley (Philly) will make playoffs.
But if Callahan knew he was going to sign with Boston and was intent on that, would there have been any reason to trade him? In theory, all Callahan needed to do was wait out the 30 day timeframe after graduating until he became a free agent, so no trade would have even been necessary.

My guess is that there was a player rights for player rights deal of some type that was being worked on, and when it was determined that Callahan had interest in staying in Boston area, it was a quick call to work something out, or we move him to a different team than Boston altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad