Prospect Info: 2019 #76 - John Farinacci, C. (UPD: signs with BOS, 8/16/23)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It was always gonna be Boston.

Hopefully it works out better than when they signed our last free agent draft pick.

Of course, Clifton worked out great for them. So anywhere between Clifton and Miller on the success scale would probably suit them fine. Haha.

There are some really great benefits to drafting 3-4x the volume of standard picks at the draft. You get more shots at the target, and increase your likelihood and volume of hits.

You will also have a higher volume of misses. Which is tough from only a perception standpoint and not really a downside.

The more painful downside is that you will inevitably lose some prospects you’d otherwise have liked to keep. And what’s worse, some of them will hit elsewhere.

We all need to brace for the reality of some good ones getting away. And remember the reasons for it.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
It’s always interesting to me when this happens. You go from following the kid and rooting for him to be successful in college because you want him to eventually be a solid pro when he gets to the league. All that goes away and now I wish nothing but failure for farinacci with the bruins

rt

May 13, 2004
Still boggles my mind Chayka traded UP and then drafted Soderstrom instead of Caulfield.
I wanted Krebs or Boldy. Had Krebs higher. But he shows up with a cast on his leg and wheeling around on a scooter. So I’d have gone with Boldy.

Chayka had him as the 3rd best player in the draft if my memory is correct on quotes. He had apparently elite puck transition stats.
Correct. We had to string together several statements but I think we found based on comments that he couldn’t have had him lower than 4th. Chayka was not careful with his words at all.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wanted Krebs or Boldy. Had Krebs higher. But he shows up with a cast on his leg and wheeling around on a scooter. So I’d have gone with Boldy.

Correct. We had to string together several statements but I think we found based on comments that he couldn’t have had him lower than 4th. Chayka was not careful with his words at all.
and I always said Chayka would and should be judged on the Hayton and Soderstrom selections based on that.

Reactions: Heldig

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Boldy would have been a great choice.

I just figured Caulfield was the guy for the "stats" guy...and then he traded up and I was certain he was making the move to draft Caufield.

rt

May 13, 2004
Boldy would have been a great choice.

I just figured Caulfield was the guy for the "stats" guy...and then he traded up and I was certain he was making the move to draft Caufield.
I was just being honest about my preference at the time. In retrospect I’d rather have Caufield than krebs.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Bruins fan here, can anybody tell me what to expect with Farinacci? How close is he to making the NHL? Thanks for any help.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bruins fan here, can anybody tell me what to expect with Farinacci? How close is he to making the NHL? Thanks for any help.
depth two-way C who should likely play in a bottom 6 capacity when he fully develops. Depending on your roster I think he will play games as early as this year.

Reactions: I am Bettman

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Just to follow on from what hbk said (which I think everyone would agree with), the guy also plays with a motor and doesn't shy away from tougher ice, it's hard to not cheer for players like that. Personally wish him all the best over there, wish we coulda kept him

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Just to follow on from what hbk said (which I think everyone would agree with), the guy also plays with a motor and doesn't shy away from tougher ice, it's hard to not cheer for players like that. Personally wish him all the best over there, wish we coulda kept him
Kind of sounds like the bottom six version of Beniers on Seattle.

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Kind of sounds like the bottom six version of Beniers on Seattle.

Ha, that's like... a pretty good way to think about him honestly. Definitely the same type of 200 foot game, also decently creative, but not nearly as skilled offensively on a consistent basis. Which is prob why most of us are thinking of him as a good bottom 6 guy rather than an actual point producer at the NHL level.

In terms of NHL readiness, quick look at capfriendly shows your bottom 6 fwds are all on 1-way contracts, so probably not this year. But, wouldn't be surprised if he ends up about a point a game at Providence sooner or later, if / when that happens he should get a strong look at the following year's training camp. Or if your guys get injured wouldn't be surprised all if he ended up doing ok during a callup and just stayed with the team.

You didn't ask this, but he'll be a center if he gets to the NHL, no need to move him to wing.

But yeah! We all like him (or at least, liked him a month ago ha), you're getting a good one. No issues with the player and he was developing ok at Harvard, wish him all the best going forward

Reactions: I am Bettman

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So did we not want to sign him or is he wheeler lite?
we wanted to sign him. Sounds like his agent or family pushed him to explore free agency.

He would never have been available in the 3rd round where we took him if he was playing hockey anywhere else but Ivy League. Teams are learning not to bother.

Reactions: ck26

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
we wanted to sign him. Sounds like his agent or family pushed him to explore free agency.

He would never have been available in the 3rd round where we took him if he was playing hockey anywhere else but Ivy League. Teams are learning not to bother.
Screw ‘em then. We need a better vetting process to stop drafting players that have no intention to sign here. Waste of a pick.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Screw ‘em then. We need a better vetting process to stop drafting players that have no intention to sign here. Waste of a pick.

Not sure you can do much to vet an 18 yo who after 4 years of college has changed his outlook. College changes you. Growing up changes you.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad