Prospect Info: 2019 #207 - Valentin Nussbaumer, C

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He played in the Top Prospects Game. Wasn't expecting to get a player from that game in the 7th round.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Some thoughts about Nussbaumer for you guys:

Nussbaumer is a high IQ player with good skating and above average hands. He hasn't an elite shot but has good accuracy on his wrist shot wich can be very dangerous if he recieves the puck in the slot. His 200 foot game is also solid as well.

He has however one glaring red flag to his game: He is very inconsistent. While he looks like the best player on the ice some nights, he can also disapear for several games after that. I have never seen something quite like it in a prospect. He has all the tools to be a second line forward in the NHL imo but he should probably look into working with a mental coach. I don't think this is an attitude issue however he just seems to struggle to find his a game. If it weren't for this he would easily be a second round prospect in my oppinion.

It also should be mentioned that he played for one of the worst CHL teams this year wich definitley inflated his stats. Hopefully Shawinigan will improve next season or Nussbaumer should maybe look into going back to Switzerland.

In the end Nussbaumer is very much a boom or bust type of prospect. I think he could be a skilled third line guy if he finds a way to show up on a more constant basis. If everything goes perfect in his development the second line is also not totally out of the question. But he also could never play an NHL game in his live if he doesnt figure his problems out.

At the end of the day i think this is a very good pick for the seventh round. Usually players with his toolbox aren't there that late in the Draft.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Funny comments from his Youtube highlight reel. He's right we don't talk much about 7th rd picks, but the rest of the league obviously doesn't think much of him either.

upload_2019-6-23_5-6-8.png

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I think he's just referring to Nussbaumer really who I think will get plenty of interest next season.

Last year's 7th round pick was Liam Kirk who probably got more comments than any other draft pick except Hayton.

Granted the same probably cant be said of Dean Stewart..

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Baffling. Was ranked as high as a first rounder, but fell to the 7th. Can hope he is the steal of the draft? Even if it often turns out to be a reason, throwing out a seventh-round pick must be a good gamble...

Perhaps the problem is he plays in QMJHL and not OHL?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-revisiting-preseason-rankings/

Does anyone follow those teams, I assume the reason why those boards are so dead on HF, is the fans are mostly French-speaking and somewhere else?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Baffling. Was ranked as high as a first rounder, but fell to the 7th. Can hope he is the steal of the draft? Even if it often turns out to be a reason, throwing out a seventh-round pick must be a good gamble...

Perhaps the problem is he plays in QMJHL and not OHL?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-revisiting-preseason-rankings/

Does anyone follow those teams, I assume the reason why those boards are so dead on HF, is the fans are mostly French-speaking and somewhere else?

He played for a god awful team and was -49, didn't particularly flash and didn't put up numbers. I assume most scouts just forgot about him or didn't rank him highly after his first year in the Q. The Q is also the least highly thought of developmentally. Justin Bergeron didn't even get drafted and I for sure thought he'd be worth a late pick at worst.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He played for a god awful team and was -49, didn't particularly flash and didn't put up numbers. I assume most scouts just forgot about him or didn't rank him highly after his first year in the Q. The Q is also the least highly thought of developmentally. Justin Bergeron didn't even get drafted and I for sure thought he'd be worth a late pick at worst.

Yeah, numbers are of course not everything when you look at young players, but to follow up on it.

Minus 49 is obviously disturbing. How much was the team without him?

Just to show what I'm thinking, with made-up numbers: if he played 20 minutes a night(need to know that number), and the team was -147 (also made up) in all, he was just as bad as the others on his bad team. But what are those numbers...

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Numbers improved after going from Biel to Davos. Is there any likelihood he receives an ELC with the Coyotes or is he more likely to stay in Europe?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Numbers improved after going from Biel to Davos. Is there any likelihood he receives an ELC with the Coyotes or is he more likely to stay in Europe?

Like with Russians, there's no pressure to sign him early. He's still developing against men, so they'll just leave him where he is at for a bit.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Not sure about his skills but his rights are listed as indefinite so the team can marinate him if needed.

Edit: You beat me to it XX.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Just saw that. Was thinking that since he was drafted out of the Q he would be under the same two-year rule. Thanks for the clarification.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad