Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 9 | The Delayed Season Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pietro would make things difficult in the expansion draft, unless I'm missing something.
Not that I think he’s coming here, but I still can’t understand this line of thinking. Losing somebody like Graves in expansion while having Pietrangelo is such a better scenario than losing somebody like Jost and having the luxury of keeping Graves.

People fear losing players so much that their minds forget that the team is actually better. If you’re exposing a bunch of good players you shouldn’t be sad that we’re losing a good player, you should be happy that we’re so deep.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The XD is gonna be tough either way unless they get EJ to waive or move him. Gotta protect G, EJ, Makar since we likely need to go 7-3-1. Adding Pie would make things even worse.

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The XD is gonna be tough either way unless they get EJ to waive or move him. Gotta protect G, EJ, Makar since we likely need to go 7-3-1. Adding Pie would make things even worse.
It doesn’t make things worse. It means we lose a better player, yes. But it also makes our team better. I can’t fathom how so many people care more about the quality of the player we lose as opposed to quality of the hockey team.

Reactions: Linds

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
If we get Pietro we'd have to protect Pietro, EJ and Makar, potentially losing G. (Assuming we can't get EJ to waive)

You can go 8 skaters/1 goalie and this wouldn't be an issue. You end up exposing a more valuable forward this way of course, but there's always going to be tough choices to make.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we get Pietro we'd have to protect Pietro, EJ and Makar, potentially losing G. (Assuming we can't get EJ to waive)
We would never. We would protect 8 skaters or whatever the rule is.

And if we did only protect 3 defenseman we would certainly buy EJ out before we lose Girard. But I don’t think we’d ever choose the 3D option in that scenario.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

4+4
  • Mackinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Burakovsky/Kadri
  • Makar, Girard, Pietrangelo, Johnson
If Newhook does a Makar in the 2021 playoffs then we can move Kadri just like we moved Barrie, but before the ED. Or just trade Burakovsky before the ED and use the assets to acquire another forward. There's many ways this could go down.

Most likely though I think Sakic has a little chat with Johnson and gets him to waive. Waiving his NMC would actually be his best chance of staying on this team as Seattle wouldn't pick him anyways, whereas not waiving would entice Sakic to trade him or buy him out.

Reactions: MarkT

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
EJ has shown too much loyalty and is still better than Graves. They'll just expose Graves.
Nah Sakic has shown that he can be pretty ruthless when he needs to be, with trading O'Reillly, Duchene and especially Barrie. He'll do whatever he thinks is best for the teams chances of winning a cup. EJ can obviously decide to not waive, but then Sakic has the power to buy him out or ask for his trade list and move him. EJ's best chance of staying on the team is actually to waive the NMC and let Sakic pay Seattle an asset to select someone else if needed.

Reactions: Hmmm and MarkT

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Nah Sakic has shown that he can be pretty ruthless when he needs to be, with trading O'Reillly, Duchene and especially Barrie. He'll do whatever he thinks is best for the teams chances of winning a cup. EJ can obviously decide to not waive, but then Sakic has the power to buy him out or ask for his trade list and move him. EJ's best chance of staying on the team is actually to waive the NMC and let Sakic pay Seattle an asset to select someone else if needed.

Well if Sakic asks EJ to waive, I doubt EJ will say no since that would put him in conflict with everyone. He won't be selected, so that's good. I'm not aware of the rules vis-a-vis paying an asset to select someone else. How does that work?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Well if Sakic asks EJ to waive, I doubt EJ will say no since that would put him in conflict with everyone. He won't be selected, so that's good. I'm not aware of the rules vis-a-vis paying an asset to select someone else. How does that work?
There's technically nothing stopping Seattle from taking Johnson if they really want him, I mean he's unprotected after all. But chances are that they'd be willing to take a deal if they can get a pick or something to select someone else. It's not like there wouldn't be other good players available to choose from instead, like Compher/Donskoi/Francouz.

That said, Ron Francis might be inclined to take Johnson over someone else and flip him to a team like Toronto with 50% retention for a 1st or something, so Sakic will need to be careful.

Reactions: MarkT and MaKarter

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My personal opinion is that EJ will waive because he'll have assurance that he won't be selected. Whether that's Seattle outright telling Joe they won't take him for reason XYZ, or if it's Joe paying what would ultimately be a small price (mid-to-late round pick) to have Seattle take someone else.

I definitely see players like (potentially) Graves, Compher, and Donskoi being WAY more appealing to Seattle than an aging and declining EJ. I love EJ, but he is what he is right now, and we all knew that contract was going to be rough at some point...we may be nearing that part now.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
EJ will not be bought out. I think there's a chance he will waive, because he's a team guy through and through, but no way does Sakic tosses him out like a used diaper after all these years. That's just not his style.
Yeah I doubt Sakic would buy him out for the reason you alluded to, but also because a $2m buyout on the books until 2025 would be a pain. That would be the worst case scenario for us.

A trade would be a better option, even if we have to give up an asset to move him and/or retain some salary. I don't think it would come to that though as the threat of a trade would make EJ waive his NMC so that he can stay with the team.

Reactions: MarkT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad