Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #2

Who is the #2 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Scott Perunovich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erik Foley

• Alexei Toropchenko

• Nikita Alexandrov

• Nolan Stevens

• Evan Fitzpatrick

• Colten Ellis

• Joel Hofer

• Tyler Tucker

• Mathias Laferriere

• MacKenzie MacEachern

• Jake Walman

• Keean Washkurak

• Hugh McGing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Eeeew ... hopefully not!
I haven't see him playing, but all what I've read tells me he's Small offensive dmen who shines at powerplay, but really lack of skill at d-zone and physical game.

Can't wait to see him playing at pre-season games.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Surprised at how many people are talking about Kostin over Husso.
I am surprised that people are talking about either yet. But, I see it as a reflection of how far our farm has fallen off these last few years (acknowledging that many have graduated.

Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I am surprised that people are talking about either yet. But, I see it as a reflection of how far our farm has fallen off these last few years (acknowledging that many have graduated.

I agree with Kostin, but Husso is still a great goalie prospect, even if Binnington just had NHL success.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I knew you would say that. I don't think they're capable of being top-10/15 starters in the league, but I do admit that Ellis intrigues me. Hofer's numbers don't impress me in the WHL, and never have. I'll admit I don't have a ton of info on Hofer, but those numbers are concerning. I'm interested in hearing your opinion, as well as anyone else who regularly watches the Q and Hofer (which I admittedly do not).

Well it’s like this. You like you’re goalies to have a save percentage of .930 or higher, because it makes you feel good. It means he’s dominating just about every game he’s playing. But just looking at the save percentage (not to mention GAA, which is mostly a team stat and is not all that useful in evaluating goalies) misses a whole lot of context, and not having a super high save percentage doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing poorly. So that’s the long and the short of it.

Hofer saw more rubber last season than just about anybody else. Not just on his team, not just in the WHL, but in any junior league in North America. The fact that his sv% was where it was is a real fine indicator of his ability to stop 37 pucks a night on average. When you’re seeing 42 pucks a night, you’re sv% isn’t going to look great, but he still stopped almost 40 shots every game. Then you add in the fact that he had a .916 sv% as a 17-year old on a much better Broncos team, and your story comes together a lot more. So that’s my take on the numbers. He’s also a big goalie who moves well and can make some highlight reel saves, but - like Binnington - is mostly just good because he’s in the right place most of the time. IMO he deserved an invite to Team Canada’s summer camp, but at least Ellis did.

There’s nothing to be concerned about with Ellis’ counting numbers as far as I can tell. He won 30 games as a 16-year old and had one of the best seasons of any rookie goalie in the Q that I can remember. In a league where the best goalies are all 20 and most others are in the .880s sv%-wise, Ellis was at .930+ for most of the season, and ended up just a hair below .920. It was an easier ride than Hofer, because he shares the ice with Lafrenniere and Rimouski is a good team, but Ellis was a brick wall, and a huge part of that team’s success imo. He’s carried a team deep into the playoffs already, and he’s not even 19. He’ll be team Canada’s starter, and I’d bet right now that Rimouski makes a serious Memorial Cup run next year.

So, I mean I understand not jumping the gun on goalies, because they both have a long way to go, but both of these kids are legit.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Surprised at how many people are talking about Kostin over Husso.

husso is 24 and has never been a full time starter in the ahl and got completely shelled last season.

i know the team was bad but those numbers are pathetic

hope he can turn it around but im not as sure about husso as i was 2 years ago

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree with Kostin, but Husso is still a great goalie prospect, even if Binnington just had NHL success.
On Husso, he has struggled. Maybe the team and injuries have been a big cause of that, but he has to show that that won’t matter in the future. He has to be better. Time is not on his side and we have other goalies catching up.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have lost my faith on Husso. Last season was huge turning point of his career. Regressed heavily. Hopefully staying with team and seeing what is take to win a Cup gives him enough confident and motivation in to future.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I have lost my faith on Husso. Last season was huge turning point of his career. Regressed heavily. Hopefully staying with team and seeing what is take to win a Cup gives him enough confident and motivation in to future.

Everybody is overreacting. It definitely wasn’t a great year for Husso. But he was injured for a lot of it, and played like he was hurt for most of the rest. Even when he was healthy at the beginning of the season, the Rampage were garbage, and still figuring out how to play together as a first year team. He’s still as talented as he’s always been, he didn’t forget how to be a good goalie overnight. He’ll put this season behind him, come back next season fresh and get back on track. If he has another tough season next year, it will be time to worry. But I’m not worried yet.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
husso is 24 and has never been a full time starter in the ahl and got completely shelled last season.

i know the team was bad but those numbers are pathetic

hope he can turn it around but im not as sure about husso as i was 2 years ago

He was one of the top goalies in the league the year before with a .922 and was injured most of last year. Ben Bishop had a .901 sv% in Peoria as a 23 year old and an .871 the year before. There's nothing that doesn't suggest last year was an outlier for him considering his numbers before that have been more than good for his age. He's pretty much always been on par with Saros who's doing fine in the NHL already, why would a rough season behind a garbage team while dealing with injuries be indicative of anything?

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Every AHL goalie in the world has got to be thinking, “I could be I the SCF this year if I play my cards right!”

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He was one of the top goalies in the league the year before with a .922 and was injured most of last year. Ben Bishop had a .901 sv% in Peoria as a 23 year old and an .871 the year before. There's nothing that doesn't suggest last year was an outlier for him considering his numbers before that have been more than good for his age. He's pretty much always been on par with Saros who's doing fine in the NHL already, why would a rough season behind a garbage team while dealing with injuries be indicative of anything?

the difference between bishop posting a .901 at 23 and husso hitting .871 at 23/24 is quite huge. another note is bishop was never .871, his worst was .897 in his first year in the ahl. all 5 of the other goalies who played for SA last year outperformed him (some small samples there)

especially considering huge players are known to take longer to develop.

im not saying ive lost complete faith in husso, hes talented but that was a putrid year for a goalie his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad