2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 1: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The off-season has begun for 29 other teams and there are some really good pieces out there on the Athletic about the Cap Situations, potential trade pieces, and top free agents. With the season ending within the week, it's about time to start planning on next season's roster, what changes the team should be looking to make and whether the Blues are in position to capitalize on some other team's situation. Will a Cup Final appearance (and potential win) make the Blues a more desirable landing spot for impending free agents?

I know the focus is rightfully all about the Cup chase, but all eyes elsewhere are already looking to next season. Whenever HFBlues is ready to do so, we'll join the discussion. Feel free to post any talk of next year's Blues here, while we apologize to the rest of the NHL Golfing community for being late to the party.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Lol...there’s plenty to look to focus on beyond the next two games. Figured those who aren’t ready to look beyond the playoffs could simply stay out of the thread and not whine like a Sharks fan, but different strokes. Feel free to obsess about the game until puck drop, but there's absolutely no harm in speculating about moves for next season.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
The off-season begins. For the first time ever, we don't have to worry about what Army needs to do to make us a contender again. I'm just going to enjoy this summer. NHL Award show is going to be a blast to watch. ROR, Binnington, Berube, and Armstrong will all be there and hopefully a couple of them will win.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The off-season begins. For the first time ever, we don't have to worry about what Army needs to do to make us a contender again. I'm just going to enjoy this summer. NHL Award show is going to be a blast to watch. ROR, Binnington, Berube, and Armstrong will all be there and hopefully a couple of them will win.

I can't wait to watch the draft, even though the Blues will be picking late. I just want to see how many of the other 30 teams, prior to making their 1st selection, congratulate the St. Louis Blues on winning Lord Stanley's Cup. That's when it will sit in that they actually did what they seemingly just did.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Do you all think we lose any staff? Some people might have already been on the chopping block (whoever ran out power play), but Berube might also want to bring in some of his guys. Does Ott get some interviews? Bill Armstrong? Other front office people?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Do you all think we lose any staff? Some people might have already been on the chopping block (whoever ran out power play), but Berube might also want to bring in some of his guys. Does Ott get some interviews? Bill Armstrong? Other front office people?
Certainly wouldn't surprise me. It's definitely one of the costs of winning. I could maybe see Mike Van Ryn getting some calls. Teams are always looking for that young up and coming coach and he's had some success in the OHL and AHL and if he "ran the defense" as has been stated on TV numerous times, I'd say the results pretty much speak for themselves there. He's still very young and very inexperienced, so I doubt it, but he's six years older than the Hawks' head coach who only had 1+ season as an AHL head coach before he was hired so stranger things have happened. Really hope we hold on to Bill Armstrong, though. He's done an awesome job, and he's been promoted several times so I don't know what job he could get in another organization that would be better than his current gig outside of General Manager so I think we'll have him for a while yet.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

I don't see Ott ever leaving the STL.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I have to think it's a lock that Barbashev, Sundqvist, Sanford, Blais, and of course Binnington are all resigned.

What will the organization do with Fabbri, Maroon, Edmundson, and Gunnarsson?

At the start of the year I would have said Ed was a lock to sign but I'm not so sure now. I thought for sure this was Gunnarsson's last year as a Blue and I'm not sure about that either. I think they'll sign Fabbri on the cheap but I won't be shocked if they trade his rights. Maroon could wind up being too expensive to resign.

Barbashev and Sundqvist probably showed enough all season and playoffs to deserve a pretty hefty raise.

Kyrou and Kostin should be fighting for roster spots and they're going to be tough to come by (most likely).

As always it'll be an interesting off-season but one that's more fun than any other before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce