Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We could get Taylor hall and he would probably still play musical chairs with Marleau

Nah. Taylor Hall is treated like a superstar in this league. We would just be reducing the musical chairs spots from two spots to just one and the same guys would be playing that game with that spot between Labanc, Marleau, and Goodrow for the most part.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
simek is like 5 8” 190

size is not his strength I love his edge and grit but size is not a strength of his

his list size is very generous he may be 5 11 with skates on

Either way much smaller then Dillion

It doesn't matter that he's four inches smaller and 15 pounds lighter. He throws his weight around and hits people and has the grit we're talking about here. Difference is that Simek is better and more consistent defensively.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
simek is like 5 8” 190

size is not his strength I love his edge and grit but size is not a strength of his

his list size is very generous he may be 5 11 with skates on

Either way much smaller then Dillion
Why does size matter? Does he play with an edge?

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
It doesn't matter that he's four inches smaller and 15 pounds lighter. He throws his weight around and hits people and has the grit we're talking about here. Difference is that Simek is better and more consistent defensively.
And offensively.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
1. Do you really think that deters them?
2. I'd rather my team be able to actually play hockey. As they say, the best way to get revenge is on the scoreboard.
Agreed and it worked for us last game against Vegas. I always thought of toughness as being able to take a hit and keep going and less about dishing out hits. Clowe-era Sharks were really good about taking the hit and winning the board battles. In recent years, that hasn't been there as much. This team has been a little soft and has let the opposing team get under their skins way too easily but the last Vegas game was really promising in that regard.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
2. I'd rather my team be able to actually play hockey. As they say, the best way to get revenge is on the scoreboard.
I hear the “does that deter them” argument whenever #grit is discussed - and I’m not so sure that’s a sound framing of all factors. I suspect that it less about deterring and more about being able to match physical play at something close to parity. If the opposition is consistently imposing their physical will on your team and you don’t have enough guys that can effectively push back, I suspect it’s a morale drag. And while I totally get the argument that hockey skill should be the ultimate determining factor for which players should play - in the context of Dillon, it’s not like there is a clear cut case for any of his potential replacements being better hockey players (Heed, Prout, and the AHL contingent haven’t shown they are better)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I hear the “does that deter them” argument whenever #grit is discussed - and I’m not so sure that’s a sound framing of all factors. I suspect that it less about deterring and more about being able to match physical play at something close to parity. If the opposition is consistently imposing their physical will on your team and you don’t have enough guys that can effectively push back, I suspect it’s a morale drag. And while I totally get the argument that hockey skill should be the ultimate determining factor for which players should play - in the context of Dillon, it’s not like there is a clear cut case for any of his potential replacements being better hockey players (Heed, Prout, and the AHL contingent haven’t shown they are better)

Physical play, I can agree with. Being able to give and take hits are absolutely important, so we're ultimately in agreement there. I'm not even talking about Brendan Dillon - Dillon is a solid defenseman and I also agree that trading him would probably be a bad idea unless the right deal comes around.

It's just that abstract ideas of "grit" and "physicality" oftentimes get us guys like Michael Haley and Dalton Prout, rather than Brendan Dillon.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Physical play, I can agree with. Being able to give and take hits are absolutely important, so we're ultimately in agreement there. I'm not even talking about Brendan Dillon - Dillon is a solid defenseman and I also agree that trading him would probably be a bad idea unless the right deal comes around.

It's just that abstract ideas of "grit" and "physicality" oftentimes get us guys like Michael Haley and Dalton Prout, rather than Brendan Dillon.

Two things:
  1. Seems to me that league-wide, and also for the Sharks, “oftentimes” is less and less Michael Haleys and John Scotts. Perhaps that archetype is not completely extinct in the NHL, they are certainly endangered species.
  2. I haven’t fully formed an opinion on Prout. If he could manage to stay healthy, he has looked to potentially be a serviceable, if unspectacular, third pairing, crease-clearing, compliment to Ferraro. Time could prove me wrong, but I’m not ready to lump him in with the Michael Haleys quite yet.
But, all in all, it seems you and I are much in agreement.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
When the opponent is Ryan Reaves trying to injure players on the team, having a heavyweight matters.
It only matters if he's willing to throw a high elbow at Reeves or one of their star players and take the suspension. Outside of that it does nothing

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
We just finished a really nice November. I'm for staying patient and letting the youngsters continue to develop. It's certain that we'll get at least 1 pickup by the trade deadline - a Wilson requirement.

On paper, we don't match up well without Dillon against Vegas or St Louis. Also, Dillon plays his worst hockey in the playoffs. Bad giveaways, delay of game penalties, missed assignments. Maybe he cleans it up this year. But without him, since we're not a speed team, Vegas and STL will take penalties and play a 'heavy' game. We'd likely lose Hertl/Simek/Kane for the series with injury.

With or without Hall, there is no way we win SC without 2 or 3 rookies playing awesome. I'd say Gambrell and Gregor are trending well. It's also nice to see Goodrow getting some top 6 time and not looking overwhelmed. That's going to be the difference.

Last edited:

jarr92

May 7, 2013

1. No. Reaves is going to do his thing. I am of the opinion that during a playoff series (not regular season) physicality should be responded to with physicality.
2. I would agree with you if I didn’t watch the St. Louis series last year. It’s hard to win on the scoreboard when half the best players are missing. If the Sharks matched the physicality of the Blues, it may have been a different series. I think taking away Dillon makes that even more of a struggle.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
1. No. Reaves is going to do his thing. I am of the opinion that during a playoff series (not regular season) physicality should be responded to with physicality.
2. I would agree with you if I didn’t watch the St. Louis series last year. It’s hard to win on the scoreboard when half the best players are missing. If the Sharks matched the physicality of the Blues, it may have been a different series. I think taking away Dillon makes that even more of a struggle.

Dillon was there and changed nothing. How does removing him make it more of a struggle? He wasn’t good and didn’t respond the way his proponents are expecting his grit to respond to such situations so what’s the point?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Two things:
  1. Seems to me that league-wide, and also for the Sharks, “oftentimes” is less and less Michael Haleys and John Scotts. Perhaps that archetype is not completely extinct in the NHL, they are certainly endangered species.
  2. I haven’t fully formed an opinion on Prout. If he could manage to stay healthy, he has looked to potentially be a serviceable, if unspectacular, third pairing, crease-clearing, compliment to Ferraro. Time could prove me wrong, but I’m not ready to lump him in with the Michael Haleys quite yet.
But, all in all, it seems you and I are much in agreement.
Prout looked good to me in preseason and the training camp scrimmages that we got to see. I think he's a legit option as a 7th or 8th 3rd pair fill in D-man. He needs some games though to settle in. We really only saw him in regular season games when the whole team was trash. I'd like to see him now that the team has their shit together a little more.

Dillon was there and changed nothing. How does removing him make it more of a struggle? He wasn’t good and didn’t respond the way his proponents are expecting his grit to respond to such situations so what’s the point?
The only reason I don't want to lose Dillon is they need 8 NHL defensemen for the playoffs. If one of the AHL guys is ready then so be it but until we know that, I prefer to let the young forwards marinate in the minors until one of them is ready for a middle 6 or top 6 role. Especially while the team continues to pile up points the way they have been. Easier to plug and play a winger than a defenseman at the end of the season and playoffs. I'm fairly certain one of the young forwards will prove themselves ready by then. Don't know who but there are so many that hopefully the odds workout that at least one is ready.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just like the Ducks would never trade Teemu Selanne to Sharks? Would you call Friesen and Shields for one of premiere goal scorers of all time an overpayment?
Why would a trade for a declining player that happened 10 years ago have any bearing on a trade for a player in his prime today?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Why would a trade for a declining player that happened 10 years ago have any bearing on a trade for a player in his prime today?

First off its laughable that you think he was declining and second its the notion that intra-divisional teams do not trade unless its an "absurd overpayment" that is simply not the case.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
First off its laughable that you think he was declining and second its the notion that intra-divisional teams do not trade unless its an "absurd overpayment" that is simply not the case.
You’re right about declining thought he was traded later in his career but you made my point still valid (maybe more) because the only example you could think of was 20 years ago.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You’re right about declining thought he was traded later in his career but you made my point still valid (maybe more) because the only example you could think of was 20 years ago.

There were like six of them last year. Sure most of them are of little consequence but it does happen and it's not always with a premium.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I only used that example because if one of the greatest goalscorers in NHL history can be traded within the division, Tyler Toffoli can be traded as well.

Reactions: Nolan11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad