2019-2020 expected roster volume 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm not saying Kampf doesn't bring the D...?
I just don't see a whole lot of offense coming from him, regardless of linemates. Not enough to be a #3C on a contender, anyway.

Peak Bolland was a 40 point 3C on a contender. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say with better linemates Kampf could find another 15-20 points of offense per season on top of his last two-season total (with less than 82gp, no less). I stress "could", not saying it for certain.

EDIT: In fairness, Bolland had some shortened seasons as well. His point totals likely higher in those cases.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I don't care about the pettiness of who plays where.

But, if Dach has NHL game from the get go then let him roll, he's not bulked up but he's still bigger/broader than a lot of guys in the league. In fact, Strome needs to ****ing bulk up more than any of'em.

If we roll Cags/Toews/Kane again that line last year dominated top competition by driving the possession in their zone shift after shift. It was the best line we've seen in a few years. Now, IF Cat/Strome can find anyone on their wing to play second fiddle enough so they can go up against other top lines you can really roll the 3rd line however you want. They don't need to be a checking line and more importantly they can be a bum slayer unit.

I think a big problem with this team the past few years is certain forward lines were too easy to dominate by the opposition either because they weren't great on the cycle and/or they weren't great in their own zone.

As for rolling 3 talented C's, Pens were a monster when Crosby/Malkin/Staal ran the middle.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Peak Bolland was a 40 point 3C on a contender. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say with better linemates Kampf could find another 15-20 points of offense per season on top of his last two-season total (with less than 82gp, no less). I stress "could", not saying it for certain.
I could always see the talent that Bolland had though, I just don't see that with Kampf. I mean, anything can happen, I just don't see him jumping to 40pts unless he plays with a Kane or Debrincat type player.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I could always see the talent that Bolland had though, I just don't see that with Kampf. I mean, anything can happen, I just don't see him jumping to 40pts unless he plays with a Kane or Debrincat type player.

That's fair. Bolland was a point producer in Junior. He's a prime example people should use for having the intelligence and willingness to change your game to make an NHL career. Had it not been for injuries his career would have been that much better and longer. Many a talented player cannot or will not adjust and adapt and it's why so many immensely talented players are playing hockey in this world not in the NHL.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's fair. Bolland was a point producer in Junior. He's a prime example people should use for having the intelligence and willingness to change your game to make an NHL career. Had it not been for injuries his career would have been that much better and longer.
Yea, as you and Holic have stated there was more talent in Bolland than his numbers suggested. He was a great third liner with second line upside. Kampf will pull a move every dozen games or so that make you raise an eyebrow but it’s still infrequent enough that I certainly wouldn’t want him to be the clear cut third best center on my NHL team.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

EDIT: In fairness, Bolland had some shortened seasons as well. His point totals likely higher in those cases.
agreed, which is why I don't like the blanket statements of Kampf not being a 3C when he literally is 10-15 points away as is from being what would be considered a #3C..like you said he also only played 63 games and was stapled next to Kunitz, Kruger, Hayden, Martinsens, etc.. not much of a stretch to think if you moved out AA, Kampf would be able to produce what he did 35-40 points playing more minutes and with better talent.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That makes no sense. So we could lose him for nothing? Not a good move, IMO. But they have more sense of what's going on, so maybe they know they can get a deal done.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But what does he have in his history to suggest he should get paid too much for the Hawks? 20pts, solid D, but doubt that gets you 2mil or anything close in arb.
don't know, but with arbitration he is going to get paid more than the Hawks probably like - they can negotiate it down a bit, maybe give him an extra year for lower AAV..

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, not a fan of this. I just don't see us being successful if Kampf is our #3C. He can be adequate on a lottery team as a #3C, but if you are a contender, I don't think Kampf is the answer to 3 scoring lines.
He has a pretty weak shot, and doesn't really have the vision. His hockey IQ is high, and he is a very committed player, but I just don't see the talent to be a #3C, yet, not on a contender anyway.

I'd rather keep our Cs as is (Toews, Strome, Anisimov, Kampf) and move Dach to the wing to start his career and ease him in.

Since when was it necessary to have 3 offense-only scoring lines to win?

Is that one way to win? Sure.
Is that the only way to win? Hell no, St. Louis hardly had two prime scoring lines. O'Reilly's line scored while being the prime shutdown option, and the Blues got timely scoring from guys who hardly broke 30 points in the regular season.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Kubalik - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Perlini
Saad - Dach - Caggiula
Hartman - Carpenter - Kampf

Ex - Wedin, Saaerla, Kurashew

Keith - Murphy
Gus - de Haan
Jokiharju - Maatta

Ex - Seebrook, Dahlstrøm, Koekkoekk

Crawford - Delia - Lankinen

I like this line except I would put Saaerla on the third line with Saad and Dach as he has that outstanding release. Cags, Kampf, Highmore for the fourth

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Not top 3 caliber prospects. Many, many guys in the top 5 make the jump right to the NHL. Kane did. Toews played one year of college, then to the Hawks, but I'd argue he could have made the jump straight into the NHL.

Is it really fair to call him a top 3 prospect when most analysts said that the 3-8 tier was very close in talent and most didn't have him as the 3rd best player in the draft? Technically, your description is accurate but it does't feel that way. LOL- This forum has gone from a Byram/Turcotte debate to being disappointed in the Dach pick to now putting him as the #3 C to start the season.

Sure, give him the 9 games at the beginning of the season and if he clearly belongs then keep him with the team but it is probably best for him to get more seasoning in junior hockey.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Is it really fair to call him a top 3 prospect when most analysts said that the 3-8 tier was very close in talent and most didn't have him as the 3rd best player in the draft? Technically, your description is accurate but it does't feel that way. LOL- This forum has gone from a Byram/Turcotte debate to being disappointed in the Dach pick to now putting him as the #3 C to start the season.

Sure, give him the 9 games at the beginning of the season and if he clearly belongs then keep him with the team but it is probably best for him to get more seasoning in junior hockey.
I don't see Dach any worse than Kotkanemi was and he made Montreal out the gate..they had an opening for him to make it, but so do the Hawks if they do not acquire another center..AA likely will get moved at some point further opening that door for Dach. I am with you on the hype train thing, but he is physically mature to make the leap, the rest he has to show when he is up here..I am not saying it is a lock at all, maybe more 50-50 he sticks because of how we can shield him with the forwards and Toews/Strome already here for tougher matchups.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad