OT: 2019-20 World Junior Championships Draft Scoring

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
TSN turning point?
Literally their own camera.

No doubt that "camera-gate" was unfair to the Russians but the next penalty they took where they knocked the stick out from the hands of the Canadian player was definitely a penalty. They have been doing that all tournament but got caught this time in a critical situation. If that penalty hadn't happened they could easily have tied it in the ensuing 2 minutes.

I don't feel great about it either but Canada has had some unfair breaks in past tournaments as well.

What wonderful entertainment by the teams in the tournament. Just so entertaining compared to pro hockey.

Reactions: Patch101

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
@BarDownBobo v @Cerebral for a heated bronze battle.
and basically @Soli Hayton vs @lakai17 McMichael and Addison for the divij

also @The Head Crusher could sneak into 5th over @Paralyzer008

I wont be able to beat leftovers if Hofer wins it will take all my boys just to catch up.

RIP @BoldNewLettuce

If my head math is right i think I tied @Paralyzer008 with 35 points, but I think @McGhostbuster over took both of use with 3 points in the game moving us down to 6th.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I thought Lavoie had a good tournament with the limited ice time, and a strong game today.
lovely outlet pass to McMichael.
good showing by the kid.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Who of JTS or BNL are you relegating to Leftovers next year?

perchance we split leftovers....

?

200.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Must be a rule that the camera is considered equivalent to glass? Refs seemed to calm down the protest pretty quickly.

I'm not sure or maybe it's considered the same as the puck hitting the scoreboard? The play was blown dead as it would had the puck hit the scoreboard. I bet it's firmly defined going forward though. There was no guarantee the Russians would have scored on the 5 on 3, but it would have been a hell of an opportunity for them. I still think it should have been called a penalty, but my opinion means shit.

I do feel bad for them though, we Oiler fans know what it's like to have a over in a game that matters.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No doubt that "camera-gate" was unfair to the Russians but the next penalty they took where they knocked the stick out from the hands of the Canadian player was definitely a penalty. They have been doing that all tournament but got caught this time in a critical situation. If that penalty hadn't happened they could easily have tied it in the ensuing 2 minutes.

I don't feel great about it either but Canada has had some unfair breaks in past tournaments as well.

What wonderful entertainment by the teams in the tournament. Just so entertaining compared to pro hockey.

Yep they took some bad penalties all game long. They had Canada on their heels a bit at 3-2 and then the completely unnecessary cross checking penalty off the draw swung the momentum pendulum back onto Canada's side. What a snipe by Hayton on that goal though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I thought Lavoie had a good tournament with the limited ice time, and a strong game today.
lovely outlet pass to McMichael.
good showing by the kid.

Yes indeed, completely agree.

It seems to me that every time Lavoie was on the ice good things happened and he should have gotten more ice time than he did.

He is very poised for an 18 year old and makes great outlet passes. I think he will be an NHL'er-- exactly where in the lineup we don't know.

Both Oiler prospects, Lavoie and Broberg were solid but unspectacular.

Reactions: booyakasha

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Evened up by the goal off of the PP from that phantom holding the stick call in the 2nd.

No tears shed here.

The Canadian penalty killers were the unsung heroes of the game.

Canada was in the penalty box most of the first period but the absolutely great sin-killers saved the day. It could easily have been 3-0 by the end of the 1st period and essentially, game over. Their efforts and some fabulous goaltending gave us a chance in the 2nd period.

I do have some feelings for the Russian tears but better them crying than the Canadian boys.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

They had to call that “stick penalty”. They called the Canadians for the very same thing earlier in the game. Lol, I don’t recall seeing that happen before and it happened twice in the same game today.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes indeed, completely agree.

It seems to me that every time Lavoie was on the ice good things happened and he should have gotten more ice time than he did.

He is very poised for an 18 year old and makes great outlet passes. I think he will be an NHL'er-- exactly where in the lineup we don't know.

Both Oiler prospects, Lavoie and Broberg were solid but unspectacular.

Understandable from Lavoie, considering where we drafted him. For a 38th pick to make team Canada in his draft+1 is pretty good, even though he didn't do much in the tournament.

Broberg is a whole different animal though. 8th overall pick, which was a reach at the time, continues to look like a bad pick. Didn't dominate on a much weaker Swedish team, and continues his rather weak season. He was always a "project" I suppose, so maybe it is to be expected. However, picking "projects" in the top-10 is maybe not such a great idea?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
What a f***ing game to cap of an unbelievable tournament. I’ll post some thoughts on the Oilers prospects sometime tomorrow when I’m in a clearer mindset.

Reactions: Soli

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
They had to call that “stick penalty”. They called the Canadians for the very same thing earlier in the game. Lol, I don’t recall seeing that happen before and it happened twice in the same game today.

The broken stick penalty is a legit penalty. He legit swung his broken stick at a guy. Like the exact scenario that the rule is there to prevent; super needlessly dangerous, last thing anyone needs is a bunch of weird fiberglass shards stuck in their skin.

The camera one is iffy. I read somewhere that all camera's mounted on the boards, not just the TSN one had been designated as "in play" prior to the tournament to prevent this very controversy, but that could be horseshit too.

You win some you lose some. That 'stick holding' call in the first was a joke, and the tip-in the Russians got on that power-play seemed questionable at first (although depending on camera angle, some of the replays looked like it was below the crossbar).

Not to mention, the Penalties were literally 7-6. The one that killed the Russians more than the over the glass call was the Broken Stick call, which given that they literally called that as a penalty against Canada earlier in the game, there isn't even an argument.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Understandable from Lavoie, considering where we drafted him. For a 38th pick to make team Canada in his draft+1 is pretty good, even though he didn't do much in the tournament.

Broberg is a whole different animal though. 8th overall pick, which was a reach at the time, continues to look like a bad pick. Didn't dominate on a much weaker Swedish team, and continues his rather weak season. He was always a "project" I suppose, so maybe it is to be expected. However, picking "projects" in the top-10 is maybe not such a great idea?
If we are going to label Broberg a project after this tournament than so is Byram but nobody would ever say that about Byram. Byram for such a high pick and high pedegree player did absolutely jack this entire tournament.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Lavoie looks to me like a natural center. He's not a sniper but he has excellent passing skills. He's also huge, tough to move off the puck and appears to have a lot of upper body strength so he might look good in the face-off circle. He probably projects as 3rd line guy now but the Oilers can certainly use some of those. Overall, good value for #38 overall.

18 year old D-men are much tougher to evaluate but as I said earlier in the thread, Broberg looks like a shut down 2nd pairing guy and elite penalty killer but not a power play wizard. I might get banned for this but right now he looks like a bigger, faster version of Adam Larsson. Of course, in 6 months time that might be totally wrong.

How many teams missed the scouting report on McMichael? The report said he was a great all around package with significant upside. Hard to believe he lasted until #25.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
So who won? I’m going to total my points tonight after the kids go to bed but I’m sure I’m a few points short.

Updating shortly, I just got back from Banff.

Unofficial Final Scoring (Please check your results):

Lakai 63
Soli 57
BarDownBobo 50
Cerebral 49
Ghostbuster 36
Paralyzer 35
THC 35
BoldNewLettuce 29
JTS 27

Congrats to @lakai17 on winning the pool! Amazing team results.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Evened up by the goal off of the PP from that phantom holding the stick call in the 2nd.

No tears shed here.

Holding the stick or diving, pick your poison. The Canadian player felt the stick near his hands and fell on it taking the stick out of the Russians players hands. It was a penalty by Canada either way.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
The broken stick penalty is a legit penalty. He legit swung his broken stick at a guy. Like the exact scenario that the rule is there to prevent; super needlessly dangerous, last thing anyone needs is a bunch of weird fiberglass shards stuck in their skin.

The camera one is iffy. I read somewhere that all camera's mounted on the boards, not just the TSN one had been designated as "in play" prior to the tournament to prevent this very controversy, but that could be horse**** too.

You win some you lose some. That 'stick holding' call in the first was a joke, and the tip-in the Russians got on that power-play seemed questionable at first (although depending on camera angle, some of the replays looked like it was below the crossbar).

Not to mention, the Penalties were literally 7-6. The one that killed the Russians more than the over the glass call was the Broken Stick call, which given that they literally called that as a penalty against Canada earlier in the game, there isn't even an argument.
I'd like to know what the IIHF rulebook says about what's in play and what's not. I thought the non call on the camera wasn't fair but if the rulebook states something otherwise, I'd feel OK about it. Glad we won but I find the win tarnished a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad