2019/20 Roster Thread XXX - AKA the Ghost Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Oh so you were mocking people who claimed that his usage hasn't been conducive at all to production. Thanks for admitting I was right I guess.

You know, if he's been injured, his quite unfriendly usage is actually worse. It isn't easier for him to play with bottom sixers while having to carry Hagg to something resembling a hockey player. It's actually quite a bit to ask of a player who is hurt.

Usage is very important you know. As I said, questioning that is questionable in itself.

Nope. You misread again, trying to pinhole it into one narrative.

I believe i made my position clear what i was mocking

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
It makes so much sense to do the following:

-Ghost - Braun as 3rd pair
-Ghost back on PP1
-Provy back on PP2
-Niskanen off PP altogether

Makes the team better by using the right players in the right roles, increases Ghosts minutes, reduces Provy and Niskanen minutes.

Makes too much sense though.
You could rotate sanheim—braun, ghost—Myers or sanheim—Myers, ghost—Braun until they see which ones work best. If they dial niskanen and provorov back I think this is going to be as idealized as we can hope given the current roster.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Maybe try
Provorov-Myers
Sanheim-Braun
Ghost-Niskanen

and then actually use them similarly.
It’s bold.

I’m concerned about Myers inconsistency which is why I would keep steady eddy on the first pair. Some of the matchups provorov gets, it’s really likely Myers mental missteps are more severely punished than against other teams bottom sixes.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I am almost glad I had to leave the house to take the kitty to the vet. It stopped me from wasting even more time with him.

I never learn.
Still awaiting your answer to the 5 on 5 GA question I asked you. The stat you kept trying to cram down my throat just a few weeks ago as “proof” that Ghost was playing well.

Hagg has had an even better longer stretch in that regard. Do you not apply that stat the same way to every player?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s bold.

I’m concerned about Myers inconsistency which is why I would keep steady eddy on the first pair. Some of the matchups provorov gets, it’s really likely Myers mental missteps are more severely punished than against other teams bottom sixes.
It's not like Myers is only playing against bottom 6 lines though.

But given that his "luck" is sky high so far this year, for sure it could come crashing down all around him quickly if given even harder matchups.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
For a brief period of time, it appears that this thread will soon result in a Myers vs Hagg discussion instead of a Ghost vs Hagg discussion.

Not sure which is better.

Be prepared for Myers to sit when Ghost comes back. I can see why they'd sit Myers instead of Hagg, but I certainly don't agree with it.

Hagg was a clear press box body coming into the season, battling Morin for the #7 spot. Myers isn't impressing the coaches, who are distracted by the warts and ignoring the potential, while at the same time ignoring Hagg's warts and focusing on his low reward impact.

Frustrating.
This makes no sense.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The poster was speaking toward the difficulty of actually telling for anyone because it's such a nebulous concept, not insulting

Responding this way makes it seem like you don't have a substantive response beyond "Look how right I was. Please congratulate me."

Considering my posts were aimed at Striiker, the poster you're talking about shouldn't feel too bad ;)

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
It's not like Myers is only playing against bottom 6 lines though.

But given that his "luck" is sty high so far this year, for sure it could come crashing down all around him quickly if given even harder matchups.
Fair, but he would be seeing his fair share of first lines playing with provorov. There is zero way to quantify it, but it just seems like Myers mistakes make me go “OH SHIT” more often than “uh oh”, if that makes any sense.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s bold.

I don’t like it either, but Fletcher really tied our hands with his roster moves. There’s really not any good options.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I definitely don't want to see Myers on the top pair this year. He isn't ready for that.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I don’t like it either, but Fletcher really tied our hands with his roster moves. There’s really not any good options.
Honesty I’d be game for it and the Debbies should be a good team to tinker against. Let ghost play a bit more and give Myers some more responsibility. Seriously—what’s the worst that could happen...

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Looked slow on that play" and "are slow" aren't the same thing, maybe ghost was gassed, I don't know. But to come in here and accuse me of "comfirmation bias" just because I pointed out he looked slow on one play reeks of rabid white-knighting, especially since I'm going to guess you don't vividly recall the play I'm thinking of either.

You added this edit late, so I didn’t see it when I responded earlier, although I basically said the same thing in my response.

“Looking slow” on an individual play and “being slow” are very different. What I’ve been disagreeing with is the latter, not the former. Anyone can look slow on individual instances.

So the confirmation bias I was talking about was people using the former to pretend the latter is true. If that’s not what you were doing then you aren’t one of the people I’m talking about. Some people are definitely guilty of that though.

Reactions: freakydallas13

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Connor Bunnaman has been a perfectly cromulent 4C in his 2nd stint with the team.

Reactions: freakydallas13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How hard is it to see if a player is slower than he's been in the past?

Like Giroux at center no longer flies end to end.
Like Ghost getting beat repeatedly in foot races by players with good but not great speed.
Like Voracek no longer bursting by people.

There's a difference between slower and slow, but it's not that difficult to see when a player is no longer as dangerous as a skater than he was in the past.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'll give you Ghost and Giroux not "bursting" by people, but even in their primes, they weren't (aren't) burners. Above average but not high end. They've probably slowed a bit due to age and injury. But they have always relied on their hands and body fakes and darty east-west skating. Quick twitch. That's more important than just skating in a predictable but fast straight line. They're smart and deceptive in their routes and can manufacture entries with ease.

Voracek no longer bursting by people is a take. At age 30, his skating has barely taken a hit, despite it being the fun narrative when he had an early season scoring rut. He routinely destroys neutral zone traps and blows past defenders. I don't know what anyone sees to say otherwise. But it makes about as much sense to me as criticizing him as not a "physical" player in the recent past.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'll give you Ghost and Giroux not "bursting" by people, but even in their primes, they weren't (aren't) burners. Above average but not high end. They rely on their hands and body fakes and darty east-west skating. That's more important than just skating in a predictable but fast straight line. They're smart and deceptive in their routes.

Voracek no longer bursting by people is a take. At age 30, his skating has barely taken a hit, despite it being the fun narrative when he had an early season scoring rut. He routinely destroys neutral zone traps and blows past defenders. I don't know what anyone sees to say otherwise. But it makes about as much sense to me as criticizing him as not a "physical" player in the recent past.

I'm guessing these same people are the ones who see middle pairing or more in Ginning, So I wouldnt put too much stock in said evaluations.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad