2019/20 Roster Thread XXX - AKA the Ghost Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Checks date thread was open. Checks total post number.

giphy.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm guessing these same people are the ones who see middle pairing or more in Ginning, So I wouldnt put too much stock in said evaluations.

Slow twitch, 2 left feet, non-opposable thumbs, the hockey IQ of Abby Normal......yes, the perfect specimen. A mortal (immortal?) lock for the NHL.

"Are you saying that I put an abnormal hockey brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?!! IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME!!?!?"

source.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll give you Ghost and Giroux not "bursting" by people, but even in their primes, they weren't (aren't) burners. Above average but not high end. They've probably slowed a bit due to age and injury. But they have always relied on their hands and body fakes and darty east-west skating. Quick twitch. That's more important than just skating in a predictable but fast straight line. They're smart and deceptive in their routes and can manufacture entries with ease.

Voracek no longer bursting by people is a take. At age 30, his skating has barely taken a hit, despite it being the fun narrative when he had an early season scoring rut. He routinely destroys neutral zone traps and blows past defenders. I don't know what anyone sees to say otherwise. But it makes about as much sense to me as criticizing him as not a "physical" player in the recent past.

Voracek in his 20s could fly for a big man, now he's lost some of that top end speed, he doesn't blow past defenders so much as through them, Hayes also does that, a combination of agility, strength and puck control.

Age curves apply to everyone, including fan favorites, doesn't mean players fall off a cliff at 30, but they're not as fast at 30 as 22, they can compensate in other ways - Voracek IS more physical this year, it's not a matter of hitting everything that moves, but when you're 6'3 210 (220?) you shouldn't play a small man's game on the perimeter.

With Ghost it's more an accumulation of injuries and dings, ACL, hip/groin, knee, knee (MCL).
He's only had a couple healthy seasons in six years and those were his best seasons (rookie year and 2017-18).
We'll see how he looks when he returns, and just as important, whether he can stay healthy through the stretch run and the playoffs.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Slow twitch, 2 left feet, non-opposable thumbs, the hockey IQ of Abby Normal......yes, the perfect specimen. A mortal (immortal?) lock for the NHL.

"Are you saying that I put an abnormal hockey brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?!! IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME!!?!?"

source.gif
He probably would have been an imposing defensive defenseman.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

source.gif

This is everything.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Voracek is blowing past people just as consistently as he always has. I'm confused. He doesn't look any different than he has in recent seasons.

Giroux a tick slower is a take that passes the almighty eye-test.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll give you Ghost and Giroux not "bursting" by people, but even in their primes, they weren't (aren't) burners. Above average but not high end. They've probably slowed a bit due to age and injury. But they have always relied on their hands and body fakes and darty east-west skating. Quick twitch. That's more important than just skating in a predictable but fast straight line. They're smart and deceptive in their routes and can manufacture entries with ease.

Voracek no longer bursting by people is a take. At age 30, his skating has barely taken a hit, despite it being the fun narrative when he had an early season scoring rut. He routinely destroys neutral zone traps and blows past defenders. I don't know what anyone sees to say otherwise. But it makes about as much sense to me as criticizing him as not a "physical" player in the recent past.
Right and this is what I’ve been saying.

Giroux and Ghost may not be as as fast as they were in their rookie seasons, but have they slowed since 2017-2018? Nope.

It’s not that they’re the fastest they’ve ever been, but they’re clearly quick enough to have career high seasons. It’s certainly not holding them or the reason they’re scoring is down.

And saying Voracek is slower? That’s a scalding hot take, but expected, considering the source.

Reactions: Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad