2019-20 Roster Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Miller is a risk b/c he has a $5.5M contract for four years, in two years Ratcliffe, Farabee, might pass him, and he's really not a 4th line type.

So you might have to pay someone to take him off your hands. He's a solid middle six player, but he's not breaking into the top six here.

You're right, they might pass him, they also might not, and even if they do Miller can be moved around the lineup, but that also doesn't mean he'd be on the 4th line. Miller would be a good addition to our PP2, and would be a very good addition to the middle six.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not if we sign Hayes to 7 years $50M.

If they're going 7/50, they were probably signing him no matter what the top of the market was. If they structure it well (what the hell was that MacDonald schedule?), I think you could build 7/50 that's not a huge difference from 5/40.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Nobody ever is happy with prices for UFAs. They will always make more than you think they should.

That’s why I am in favor of going only for the two elite free agents on the market. They will be high prices but you will get your best return for them.

If not, then target cap strapped teams for their younger players if they can’t sign them. Sounds so easy right?

Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Skinner close to an 8 year 9 million per deal.

Reminder, he just tied his career year...posting 63 points. Ghost had 65 points 1 year ago and has 4 years at 4.5 million.

This is why you have to be patient, Buffalo is desperate and are going to overpay a good 2LW (age 23-26 averaged 27-18 45 at ES).
Skinner is a faster, smaller version of JVR, an offense first player who's slightly below average defensively.
He's a solid scorer, his speed draws penalties, but he's not a franchise player. And he's an average PP scorer (6-6 12 last four seasons).
At 27, two years younger than JVR when signed, but his deal will extend to one year older.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nobody ever is happy with prices for UFAs. They will always make more than you think they should.

That’s why I am in favor of going only for the two elite free agents on the market. They will be high prices but you will get your best return for them.

If not, then target cap strapped teams for their younger players if they can’t sign them. Sounds so easy right?

There is value to be had on the UFA market.

The key is patience, the desperate teams overpay the first few days, then the money dries up and good players can be found at reasonable prices, not top six types, but middle six, second pair D-men, etc.

The worst contracts are overpays for bottom six forwards and 3rd pair defensemen, just not worth paying out the nose for the type of guys you can pick up with bad contracts from cap strapped teams with a year or two left on their deals for middle round draft picks.

One reason they resigned Raffl is that guys like that too often get 3yr/$6-9M contracts in free agency, they got him cheap.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Skinner had a career year shooting percentage wise & still couldn’t top his previous career high of 63 points. They’re paying $9M a year for a guy who to this point has ranged from a 50-60 point ish player give or take.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Panarin though?
Deep down....do we need to pay a LW 12 million a year?

Giroux, JVR, Lindblom...all under control for at least 3 more years and then have Farabee and Ratcliffe coming. He is not a "need".

Our best RHD is Gudas who is an upcoming UFA. And at these prices, will be looking for big money.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Deep down....do we need to pay a LW 12 million a year?

Giroux, JVR, Lindblom...all under control for at least 3 more years and then have Farabee and Ratcliffe coming. He is not a "need".

Our best RHD is Gudas who is an upcoming UFA. And at these prices, will be looking for big money.

Every roster that's well managed can afford a luxury or two. We don't need Panarin as such, but we can afford him and he may be the missing piece.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I guess Buffalo didn't really have a choice. They couldn't let him walk.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I do find it funny that some people want to trade for someone like Kapanen, who spent 2 1/2 years in the AHL then finally won a starting job at 22, but have no patience with our 19-21 year old prospects and would be happy to trade our #11 pick.

Now I like Kapanen, but he should be an object lesson in patience.

Johnsson even more so, three SHL seasons from 19-21, two full AHL seasons at 22-23, then ES 17-20 37 with the Leafs.
Cirelli on TB, #72, spent a full year in the AHL, then 14-18 32, E +/- +11.2 this year.
Dunn on St Louis, #56, full year in the AHL before this season. And so on.
Now imagine the trade value of these players a year or two ago v today.

Where do teams find these good young players? They develop them instead of trading them away willy nilly.

I'm not saying not to trade our prospects, I'm just saying don't give them away. Don't sell low and buy high.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad