Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I am also very skeptical... another streak like this and we are done.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Hilariously because of the mediocrity of the conference, they are still in it but if they keep tanking like this..adios. Even if they do get in, they're gonna get curbstomped anyway, who cares.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
One big problem is if they finish in one of the wild card spots they will play Vegas or the winner of the Central. Nucks will be lucky to win one game in a series.

Yeah, I basically view a wildcard spot as missing the playoffs. We would blink and they'd be gone in 4-5 games.

Reactions: dps and xtr3m

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
An impromtu vote.....hands up those who're pining for a 'one and done' playoff series where the Canucks blow leads like they did tonight.

Or hands up, those who'd like to see a new coach next season and the Canucks keep their 2020 lottery pick in the draft. Is there really any debate which would be better for this team in the long run?

Reactions: victoriacanucker

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be fair and to throw some cold water on the tank hype the Canucks have alternated between good streak/bad streak all season, so there's still a good chance they pull out another winning stretch to slide into a wildcard spot.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

Not look'n good but there's still hope.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
There is no hope
That CBJ game was a momentum buster
THEY ARE NOT COMING BACK FROM THAT

disagree... i thought they played really good in TO and CBJ and was just on fumes in the 3rd from a long road trip.

Demko needs to show up tho, couple of days with Ian Clarke will help

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Huge game vs Zona on Wednesday!

Arizona's schedule has been cake..

they just finished a 3 game home stand that started in feb 22, their last game was Saturday which means they have 3 days in between before they play the Canucks on Wednesday.

We need that game! Lets goo boys!

What an absolutely fun time of the year! I'll take this over being out of it early and doing the draft lottery simulator on a daily basis!

Its nice a nice feeling to be nervous for a game again and be invested emotionally!

enjoy the moment fellas!

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Vegas has 15 games left and only 5 of them are at home.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
the only reason i'm still hoping for playoffs now is to at least avoid the embarassment of having a 1st rounder be a lotto one in 2021. Way things are trending, the team next year is gonna be worse than this one. I can't see Toffoli staying.

Last edited:

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
An impromtu vote.....hands up those who're pining for a 'one and done' playoff series where the Canucks blow leads like they did tonight.

Or hands up, those who'd like to see a new coach next season and the Canucks keep their 2020 lottery pick in the draft. Is there really any debate which would be better for this team in the long run?

This is the dilemma isnt it, because I'm pretty convinced this year's team is going to be better than next year's team given the cap situation, free agents leaving and no high end rookie's to come in, so if we miss the playoffs this year, I'm confident we'll be handing a quality lottery pick to the NJD next year, maybe even one in the top 10, but if you could guarantee me Benning and Green getting their marching orders I'd probably vote to miss the PO's this year.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Hilariously because of the mediocrity of the conference, they are still in it but if they keep tanking like this..adios. Even if they do get in, they're gonna get curbstomped anyway, who cares.

I care, playoffs is the best! id love for this core to experience it!

Once in the dance, anything can happen.

Have some faith

Reactions: ArtursSilovsShirt

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
the only reason i'm still hoping for playoffs now is to at least avoid the embarassment of having a 1st rounder be a lotto one in 2021. Way things are trending, the team next year is gonna be worse than this one. I can't see Toffoli staying.

1 more year of maturity and growth from Hughes and Pettersson and you think we will be worse?

Maybe we wont be as deep and lose guys like Leivo, Stecher etc...but we arent losing a big gun.

There are also ways to create more cap and find good players to add.

Example: Ferland LTIR, Demko traded with a bad contract attched to it like Sutters or Baertschi's or Beagles.

Barring injury, there's no way we are worse next year especially if we get into the playoffs this year and grow and mature from it.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
1 more year of maturity and growth from Hughes and Pettersson and you think we will be worse?

Maybe we wont be as deep and lose guys like Leivo, Stecher etc...but we arent losing a big gun.

Example: Ferland LTIR, Demko traded with a bad contract attched to it like Sutters or Baertschi's or Beagles.

Barring injury, there's no way we are worse next year especially if we get into the playoffs this year and grow and mature from it.
It isn't that easy anymore. What are we going to have to give in exchange for getting rid of those contracts? Jett Woo?

And let's say we do trade Demko, are we not weakening our back end to facilitate that move?

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely. We haven't seen Jim do any of these moves yet so i'm wary of what it'll cost. And is he just gonna fill that void again with 30 year old soft veterans.

big offseason this year

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Uhh, yes there is a way we are worse next year. Our depth in some manner will get gutted this summer, and as a result we’re left with a top heavy team. You know how you end up being a Buffalo/Edmonton type of team? Exactly that. Not enough depth. Make no mistakes about it, we aren’t making it to the dance next year. Any chance we do have will be eradicated when we sign Barrie over Tanev.

Edit: and the conference is going to be even stronger next season. SJS and CGY will be back to themselves with Arizona, Edmonton and Vegas still being strong. The central is going to go back to being super strong.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Huge game vs Zona on Wednesday!

Arizona's schedule has been cake..

they just finished a 3 game home stand that started in feb 22, their last game was Saturday which means they have 3 days in between before they play the Canucks on Wednesday.

We need that game! Lets goo boys!

What an absolutely fun time of the year! I'll take this over being out of it early and doing the draft lottery simulator on a daily basis!

Its nice a nice feeling to be nervous for a game again and be invested emotionally!

enjoy the moment fellas!

Thanks for the update Francesco!

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Uhh, yes there is a way we are worse next year. Our depth in some manner will get gutted this summer, and as a result we’re left with a top heavy team. You know how you end up being a Buffalo/Edmonton type of team? Exactly that. Not enough depth. Make no mistakes about it, we aren’t making it to the dance next year. Any chance we do have will be eradicated when we sign Barrie over Tanev.

Edit: and the conference is going to be even stronger next season.

Youre talking so factually yet we dont even know what next years roster will look like or the moves we made or didnt make this summer.

Depth will be fine. Id love to move on from players like Stecher and Virtanen and find other players that would be better suited for us. Id also walk away from Tanev if he asks for too much because i dont trust his 1 healthy season this year.

As long as we have our core, it will be infinitely more improtant than the depth players we surround them with. Dont get me wrong its important, but its more important that we have a great core and that we do and that will always give us a chance to compete..

Bufallo comparison doesnt make sense at all...

They have what? 3 players as part of their core? Eichel Dahlin and Olofsson?

Our core consists of Markstrom, Hughes, Petey, Horvat, JT, Boeser

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Youre talking so factually yet we dont even know what next years roster will look like or the moves we made or didnt make this summer.

Depth will be fine. Id love to move on from players like Stecher and Virtanen and find other players that would be better suited for us. Id also walk away from Tanev if he asks for too much because i dont trust his 1 healthy season this year.

As long as we have our core, it will be infinitely more improtant than the depth players we surround them with. Dont get me wrong its important, but its more important that we have a great core and that we do and that will always give us a chance to compete..

Bufallo comparison doesnt make sense at all...

They have what? 3 players as part of their core? Eichel Dahlin and Olofsson?

Our core consists of Markstrom, Hughes, Petey, Horvat, JT, Boeser

Buffalo comparison does make sense, actually. I’ll give you Marky, but they have Dahlin, Eichel, Olofsson, Reinhart, Skinner and Ristolainen.

Look at Edmonton - they’ve had McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, RNH and Larsson. Now they have some semblance of depth, specifically their bigger guns in Yamamoto (who’s emerged and shown he plays the game like a hound) and Athanasiou. Up until this year, where exactly have they been? Rotting at the bottom of the league with us. Our defence sucks ass and if we lose Tanev, you’re delusional if you think we’re a playoff without him. I’ve seen nothing which suggests we’ll be keeping him.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
//snip

//snip

Slow down, you are spinning too fast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad