Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Raphael Lavoie scored for the 3rd straight game and Matej Blumel recorded an assist.

Ty Tullio also had himself an assist, but unfortunately his team lost 11-1.

Here's a look at how Dylan Holloway's production so far stacks up against past seasons. This has U21 players since the 2000-2001 season ranked by pts/GP:

upload_2021-2-7_21-35-35.png

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Raphael Lavoie scored for the 3rd straight game and Matej Blumel recorded an assist.

Ty Tullio also had himself an assist, but unfortunately his team lost 11-1.

Here's a look at how Dylan Holloway's production so far stacks up against past seasons. This has U21 players since the 2000-2001 season ranked by pts/GP:

View attachment 393722

Interesting indeed. Doubtful that Holloway keeps this production level up, but its nice to see that he is capable of going on a hot streak at least. Nothing to not like about this player so far considering he was a mid-1st round pick up, and not a top-5/10 pick.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just checked that Johnny G season, and it was his draft+3 season. He played with some good players on that BC club as well, with Kreider and Hayes being on his team in his 3 years there. The year after his 80 point BC season, he scored 64 points in the NHL. Now Holloway isn't the offensive talent Johnny G is, obviously, but he is also doing this in his draft+1. Johnny G was exactly 1 PPG in his draft+1 season, with Kreider leading his team in scoring that year. It wasn't until draft+3 that Gaudreau put up that ridiculous season. There are some parallels with Caufield likely leading Wisky in scoring this year after being drafted a little earlier, similar to Kreider leading with Gaudreau's draft+1 year.

Another thing I noticed is that Caufield put up exactly 1 PPG in his draft+1 year as well (same as Gaudreau). Kinda interesting I thought. Considering all the other aspects to Holloway's game (speed, size, forecheck, high motor, etc) anything around 1 PPG should be considered a wild success in the NCAA this year. Another high 2019 draft pick who also played on Wisky (Alex Turcotte), scored at 0.9 PPG in his draft+1 last year. So that 1 PPG "area" is really the measuring tape we should be using, and people shouldn't get freaked out when Holloway doesn't continue this ridiculous tear he is on right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just checked that Johnny G season, and it was his draft+3 season. He played with some good players on that BC club as well, with Kreider and Hayes being on his team in his 3 years there. The year after his 80 point BC season, he scored 64 points in the NHL. Now Holloway isn't the offensive talent Johnny G is, obviously, but he is also doing this in his draft+1. Johnny G was exactly 1 PPG in his draft+1 season, with Kreider leading his team in scoring that year. It wasn't until draft+3 that Gaudreau put up that ridiculous season. There are some parallels with Caufield likely leading Wisky in scoring this year after being drafted a little earlier, similar to Kreider leading with Gaudreau's draft+1 year.

Another thing I noticed is that Caufield put up exactly 1 PPG in his draft+1 year as well (same as Gaudreau). Kinda interesting I thought. Considering all the other aspects to Holloway's game (speed, size, forecheck, high motor, etc) anything around 1 PPG should be considered a wild success in the NCAA this year.

I think that his offensive upside is a bit of a mystery. That said, you don't typically see guys putting up these kinds of numbers if they have no hands or hockey IQ. .We have ourselves a player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think that his offensive upside is a bit of a mystery. That said, you don't typically see guys putting up these kinds of numbers if they have no hands or hockey IQ. .We have ourselves a player.

That is a very good point. I would like to know his ES/PP ratio for points (it's likely available I just haven't gone digging). He isn't playing with Cole Caufield at ES from what I know, but is on the #1 PP unit. If Holloway is generating a lot of points at ES, and not just putting up PP points on their stacked PP unit, I think it might be worth re-calibrating what the reasonable expectations are for Holloway. Not to get TOO far ahead of ourselves, because he has only played 12 games so far, but as you said, those points don't just happen *by accident* either.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That is a very good point. I would like to know his ES/PP ratio for points (it's likely available I just haven't gone digging). He isn't playing with Cole Caufield at ES from what I know, but is on the #1 PP unit. If Holloway is generating a lot of points at ES, and not just putting up PP points on their stacked PP unit, I think it might be worth re-calibrating what the reasonable expectations are for Holloway. Not to get TOO far ahead of ourselves, because he has only played 12 games so far, but as you said, those points don't just happen *by accident* either.

He's had 8 straight multiple point games so it's not like he's bunching these up in a few games and putting up zeros in the others. The production is very consistent.
With that said, the numbers are certainly boosted by playing on a PP with Cole Caufield but lots of players that put up elite numbers are playing with good players.
Regardless, he has almost matched his goal production of last season already and has 6 more points in 23 less games!!! That's development my friend.

From what I've seen of him, he seems to play better in a drivers' role so I'm really warming up to the idea of him anchoring a 3rd line for the Oilers in a couple of years. How lethal would this team be if it had an even above average 3rd line?

Edit: 5 of his 7 goals are at even strength. Not sure about points. 4 of his 5 points were at even strength yesterday I believe.

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Most people seem to have Holloway as a winger in the pros, however he plays C in the NCAA. I'm very curious where the organization thinks he'll end up.
3C or top 6 LW. Connor and Leon are the C's, I don't see that changing. (Tippett is stubborn about not running Nuge with Leon and Kailer, so why would he stack line 1 with Leon and McDavid).

Holloway seems like a guy you can throw on any line. So I see him as primarily a top 6 LW.

Reactions: Oilhawks

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
We’ve been looking for a 3C forever. Surround him with veteran wingers to start and let him develop. Lavoisier and Savoie are your future wingers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Holloway's centre/wing versatility is a great asset. I view his game as an strong, developing power forward who would be a great fit as a top six wing ... especially with the Oilers' franchise centre tandem of McDavid, Draisaitl. He is going to be a high end, tenacious puck hunter driven by his excellent skating. If there's another level to his offence - and it is tracking really good with his progression from freshman to sophomore I think he solves some issue, in time, at top six left wing with size, compete and energy (and cheap-ish).

As a 60%+ face-off, puck pursuit and great 200 foot game, there's a prospective third line centre option for sure. However I think the Oil are really grooming Ryan McLeod for the 3C spot who doesn't necessarily have the same potential offensive upside as Holloway. I previously leaned slightly to Holloway jump starting his pro career after this second college season. Watching him and seeing his production jump he's had, I think he will opt to turn pro this year.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
However I think the Oil are really grooming Ryan McLeod for the 3C spot who doesn't necessarily have the same potential offensive upside as Holloway.

Watching Ryan McLeod on the weekend (both games) was an exercise in frustration. So much skill and elite skating but wants to play a perimeter game (he wins puck battles and is relatively strong on the puck). He just likes to circle the net and avoid the dirty areas. I recall he had a clean shot once and decided to pass. Somebody needs to piss in his cereal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Watching Ryan McLeod on the weekend (both games) was an exercise in frustration. So much skill and elite skating but wants to play a perimeter game (he wins puck battles and is relatively strong on the puck). He just likes to circle the net and avoid the dirty areas. I recall he had a clean shot once and decided to pass. Somebody needs to piss in his cereal.

That's the scouting report on him for sure. And the frustration he creates with the size and speed so tantalizing but not the battle or inclination to play in tough ice areas. The physical tools and skills are there but without a steady pilot light the guy's a work in progress.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
11 of his 23 points have come on the PP. The team is also 10-2 with him in the line up, and 3-5 with him out.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It's pretty exciting to see how the Fab 4 defensive prospects are developing.

It's only 1 game but it looks like Bouchard is an NHL defenseman and with Sammy, Broberg and Kemp waiting in the wings it appears that the Oiler defense could be well placed for the next decade.

Throw in another young player, Lagesson and it looks like the Oilers problem on defense might finally be getting the workover/update that its needed for a few decades. Yes, still early in their development but the overview looks optimistic.

I just read in Oilersnation that Lennstrom is looking really good in Bakersfield. We could FINALLY have some good defence coming. Barrie and Nurse are looking really good right now. Not sure what to say with Klefbom but we are looking good .

Barrie
Nurse
Lagesson
Bouchard
Broberg
Bear
Klefbom (maybe)
Jones
Lagesson
Koekkoek
Larsson (next to be traded)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I just read in Oilersnation that Lennstrom is looking really good in Bakersfield. We could FINALLY have some good defence coming. Barrie and Nurse are looking really good right now. Not sure what to say with Klefbom but we are looking good .

Barrie
Nurse
Lagesson
Bouchard
Broberg
Bear
Klefbom (maybe)
Jones
Lagesson
Koekkoek
Larsson (next to be traded)

Lennstrom AND Kaldis looked great. But both are 26 and 24 so basically Lagesson's age or older. They have fewer brainfarts than Jones in the AHL but until they play in the NHL... I don't know how they will perform. Both do make quick decisions and are good skaters so I suspect they could be bottom-pairing D soon.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Lennstrom AND Kaldis looked great. But both are 26 and 24 so basically Lagesson's age or older. They have fewer brainfarts than Jones in the AHL but until they play in the NHL... I don't know how they will perform. Both do make quick decisions and are good skaters so I suspect they could be bottom-pairing D soon.

Who is Kaidis? Never heard

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I’m not sure. Pain is from neck into right shoulder. Can’t shoot darts now or anything. We had a big snowstorm here yesterday so that was a very painful day snow blowing.
I see u guys out there are getting hit with cold weather . Cold here as well

Hope they find what's going on and that it can be treated.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad