13. Laczynski, Tanner - 43%
14. Vorobyev, Mikhail - 33%
15.​

Reactions: flyersfan187

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't see any reason why Cates should be ahead of NAK, Bunnyman, and Kase as a Forward prospect.

Reactions: macleish1974

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because Cates is far advanced at the same age compared to NAK and Bunnyman in terms of fundamentals and hockey IQ.
The only question is how far he'll develop offensively, but he's a good bet to be a top flight bottom six guy.

Kase is tougher, if he wasn't so injury prone he might be in the top ten, but who knows if he'll ever develop.

Reactions: Hockeypete49

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I don't see any reason why Cates should be ahead of NAK, Bunnyman, and Kase as a Forward prospect.

Besides the fact that he's younger and putting up similar statistics against tougher competition.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Besides the fact that he's younger and putting up similar statistics against tougher competition.

NCAA is more difficult competition than the AHL? (i'm aware the other 3 are significantly older, just don't get the "tougher competition" part).

Or did you mean more difficult competiton when he was 19 then the other 3 when they were 19?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because Cates not only made the WJC squad, he was an integral part of that team.
He also was a freshman starter on the college championship team. Major cog in the nation's #1 PK.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you (or anyone who watches AHL somewhat consistently) think Bunnaman can replicate his production this upcoming year?

I think he can surpass it, he struggled at wing, but took off at center.
Given play making wings he can easily score 20+ goals, that's his strength. He had 19 last year, including 9 PP goals.
Problem is if he's not comfortable on a wing, not sure if he has a future at center in the NHL unless he improves his skating and defense.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
NCAA is more difficult competition than the AHL? (i'm aware the other 3 are significantly older, just don't get the "tougher competition" part).

Or did you mean more difficult competiton when he was 19 then the other 3 when they were 19?

Meant that you typically don't have top prospects or top young players play in the AHL. Most go straight from the WHL or college to the NHL. I'm not saying Cates is going to be a superstar or elite player. But it seems that there is more top end talent in collegiate hockey. I think the AHL has more quality all around.

Cates this past season had a higher NHLe than any of the other players that you mentioned as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Do you (or anyone who watches AHL somewhat consistently) think Bunnaman can replicate his production this upcoming year?

I guess we’ll see but he did shoot just over 20% last year. So that could be a concern.

It’s tough really say from a statistical standpoint because the AHL doesn’t offer an expansive amount of statistics like the NHL.

He’s a guy who even in juniors made his hay around the net & that seems to be the case in the AHL so far too. But obviously there’s always some degree of luck when you’re playing around the net with tip in’s & rebounds which a lot of his goals seemingly are.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
easter-bunny-mascot-costume.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm all ears.
I thought you might have some reasons of your own considering you seemed to be pretty emphatic about it.

I mean over the last few years, I've been a relatively big fan of NAK, but he's destined to be a 4th line fringe player, based on recent usage. Bunnaman's in the same boat. 4th line ceiling. Kase probably has a bit higher ceiling than those guys, but he's entering his D+5 season and isn't exactly established.

I don't see anything wrong with having Cates above those guys.

Not without improvement. I think due to his style, he's probably always going to have relatively high shooting percentages, but I don't think you can expect anyone to repeat 21%.

It was still a step in the right direction though. I didn't expect him to produce that well as a rookie, even with the possibly inflated numbers.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

I'm kind a with ya on seeing Wyatt over Cates but went Cates cause when i talk with Flyers development staff they rave about Cates . They get to see him a pile more than i do so i went with him . Trust me no other reason than that , they must see stuff that i'm missing .

Reactions: Rebels57

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I thought you might have some reasons of your own considering you seemed to be pretty emphatic about it.

I mean over the last few years, I've been a relatively big fan of NAK, but he's destined to be a 4th line fringe player, based on recent usage. Bunnaman's in the same boat. 4th line ceiling. Kase probably has a bit higher ceiling than those guys, but he's entering his D+5 season and isn't exactly established.

I don't see anything wrong with having Cates above those guys.

Not without improvement. I think due to his style, he's probably always going to have relatively high shooting percentages, but I don't think you can expect anyone to repeat 21%.

It was still a step in the right direction though. I didn't expect him to produce that well as a rookie, even with the possibly inflated numbers.
Thanks.
Re Kase - I really am intrigued by him. Really like what I've seen from him, but admittedly it's not been much. His numbers are pretty respectable, and I think he's got a bit more to offer than just a 4th line ceiling. This is his season where he's got to make something happen for himself.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everything I've read about Kase says he's a carbon copy of his brother, including unfortunately the injuries.
Watching the Phantoms, three players "flashed" NHL skill last year, Myers, Rubtsov and Kase.
But Kase and Rubtsov have to stay healthy.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
coach's seem to love Cates and I think he's much higher on the internal pecking order than the list on the site.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I try to not let it factor too much into my ranking based on talent......but the idea that Cates probably plays at least 2 more seasons in college, likely followed by at least a year in the AHL means his window is quite far in advance. A lot of these other guys, some voted earlier, are already in the midst or at the end of their ELCs. There's a logjam now. A further window means plausible opportunity.

As for Cates, I think he's better than #15 (but I think Kalynuk is too, hence my vote). An improved sophomore season will put him on the map more for consensus voters, but he just seems easily projectable as a bottom 6 talent. I don't think he's Laczynski in terms of pure skill, but he brings a lot to the table: versatility, terrific forechecking and below the dots play, above average passing, a nose for the net, solid defensive, consistency. Even his skating has improved as he's filled out. He's a jack of all trades. There's room for a glue type 3rd line ceiling, although maybe not here. I'd be a little shocked if he's not at least an above average 4th liner.

In regards to NAK or Bunnaman or Kase, Cates pretty much takes many of their better qualities and rolls them into one.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

He will, as long as you and all these other ****ing jokers BELIEVE. And even if for some reason your heart is as treacherous and black and tarred from smoking too many bowls like our resident communist, you could just listen to me.

bNQVw7a.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad