NCAA: 2019-20 Coaching Carousel

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Never a good look when you stay somewhere for only one year

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

New Miss is lame.. mediocre program (at best), sanctions, half empty stadium.. the abandonment of Colonel Reb (followed by unpopular, generic mascots). Not good right now. Guess we'll see what the future brings ~

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Was he expected to stay at App State? These coaches don't care about "looks".

With the season he had someone was going to come calling, but this was rather quickly, and kind of a surprise as his name wasn't thrown out there. Usually it seems these rising stars stay 3 seasons.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With the season he had someone was going to come calling, but this was rather quickly, and kind of a surprise as his name wasn't thrown out there. Usually it seems these rising stars stay 3 seasons.
My take is you have to take the chance when you have the opportunity, you might not get it again. If he does well, he could be at a top 10 program around the age of 40.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Word going around is that Eli is very arrogant and the players tone about him isn't a good one.
He inherited an already very good program and just put it on cruise control basically.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Word going around is that Eli is very arrogant and the players tone about him isn't a good one.
He inherited an already very good program and just put it on cruise control basically.
I mean, what good coach isn't arrogant and at least somewhat hated/disliked by the players?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
You always here stories about how coaches were aholes when the opportunity arises.
Not all the time. I can go back exactly one year ago when Satterfield left App State to be the head coach at Louisville, and there was generally nothing but praise for him and those who were happy and excited for him. Obviously some were a little upset to see him move on from the University but it wasn't in a negative tone and certainly nobody was calling him out to do poorly or even saying anything remotely bad about him as a coach or even as a person.
A lot of the fan base has started cheering for Louisville actually. While you can certainly find stories of bad blood in places, there are also stories where when these situations happen there is a good send-off of well wishes.

Reactions: Roman Fell

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The bigger thing with coaches leaving in NCAA is that the players get screwed. If you are a player meant for a specific system and a new coach doesn't use that system, then you are screwed or maybe that new coach just isn't a fan of you. And it's both ways for the program the coach is leaving and the program they are going to, it's a lot of uncertainty for the players and they aren't allowed the same level of flexibility and freedom to find the right fit for them.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
with coaches leaving in NCAA is that the players get screwed. If you are a player meant for a specific system and a new coach doesn't use that system, then you are screwed..it's a lot of uncertainty for the players and they aren't allowed the same level of flexibility and freedom to find the right fit for them.

This is fair & accurate assessment.. and I appreciate that u never suggest a school's curriculum has any influence on an athlete's choice. There would be no reason (for a D1 football player) to pick a specific educational institution, outside of it's current offensive scheme. For many years there was the charade of 'student'-athletes at big time football/basketball schools. But it's been openly distilled that college football is ultimately just an NFL farm league.
And I agree that the players are screwed in this moronic racket; the coaches and tv networks (often) make large profits.
Also sucks for (legitimate) students & taxpayers who subsidize these NFL apprenticeships (aka- 'scholarships').

And ps, no disrespect to lower profile schools & sports where athletic scholarships are utilized as intended, to get an education.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00