NCAA: 2019-20 Coaching Carousel

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This will be heating up in the coming days so I figure it’s time to make the thread. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the current FBS openings are:

Arkansas
Florida State
Rutgers
UNLV
New Mexico
Missouri
UTSA
USF
Boston College
Ole Miss
Colorado State

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
USC is in a bit of a bind here. Helton is obviously not a great coach, but the OC they gave him - Harrell - has turned them into an offensive juggernaut. So how do they keep Harrell - who is probably not seen as ready for HC duties - while shedding Helton? Any new coach would want to be able to choose his own OC.

The general underachievement over the last few years - given that SC is more talented than most teams they play - should get Helton the can still, but I can see them keeping him on the back of the offensive progress.

Also, it seems kinda nuts that USC played their last game yesterday. That's right..they won't play again until their late December bowl which is a bit bizarre given that Thanksgiving weekend is kind of the apex of college football season.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Some rumblings that Joe Moorhead will be out at Mississippi State if they lose the Egg Bowl.

That'd be quick. 20 years ago the story was that a coach deserves at least 4 years, that seemed to shift toward 3 years in the 00s and early 10s. Now we're seeing 'two and outs'. Do boosters and fans understand that this isn't the pro game and coaches can't be expected to just get the most out of a settled roster?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
On that note, if you read the Horns forums you certainly see a good amount of clamoring for Hermann to be dropped. They probably won't given they did well enough in '18, but given the "Texas is back" narrative written over the off-season this season has been as big a disappointment as any in Austin.

Reactions: Roman Fell

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That'd be quick. 20 years ago the story was that a coach deserves at least 4 years, that seemed to shift toward 3 years in the 00s and early 10s. Now we're seeing 'two and outs'. Do boosters and fans understand that this isn't the pro game and coaches can't be expected to just get the most out of a settled roster?

I'm not really sure what Mississippi States expectations are. They've never been a strong program and historically battle it out with Ole Miss to see who doesn't finish at the bottom of the SEC West. On top of this, Mississippi isn't a state that produces talent that some of the other SEC states do, and what talent they do produce is just as likely to play for Alabama, LSU, or even Auburn.

From what I've read Moorhead has been accused of "setting the program back" but it should have been clear after Mullen left that this was going to be a rebuild.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Before tonight it was being reported that UL-Layfette coach Billy Napier was going to be the next coach at Mississippi State, but Elijah Moore might have saved Moorheads job :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->