NCAA GDT: 2019-20 Bowl Thread (non-playoff games)

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
They need to cut about 10 bowls. 40 is way too many.

Why? How does it negatively impact anyone to have more bowl games?

The positives of more bowl games are that more games matter at the end of the year, more football games to watch, more games to bet on, and these small bowl games mean a lot to programs like Illinois, for example. It gives them something to build on.

The negatives are...… ? What? Too much football? Rabble rabble rabble participation trophies?

Just never understood why people complain about more bowl games. If you're not interested... don't watch. It's that simple.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't forget more practice time to get ready for next year if players are coming back.

Sure, there are a lot of bowls, but it's a good experience for the athletes and gives most of them one last game to play with their teammates (since most aren't going to sniff an NFL camp).

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Why? How does it negatively impact anyone to have more bowl games?

The positives of more bowl games are that more games matter at the end of the year, more football games to watch, more games to bet on, and these small bowl games mean a lot to programs like Illinois, for example. It gives them something to build on.

The negatives are...… ? What? Too much football? Rabble rabble rabble participation trophies?

Just never understood why people complain about more bowl games. If you're not interested... don't watch. It's that simple.

I love the bowl games. I just think there's too many and there should never be a chance of a 5-7 team in a bowl.

I also hate this thing they've been doing the past 10 or so years where bowls that should probably be this weekend are being played between New Years and the title game. No reason for the Idaho Potato, Birmingham, Lending Tree and Armed Forces to be played after the NY6. In the grand scheming of the things I guess it don't matter, but growing up I always liked how/thought the later the game was, the "better" it was.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Full Bowl Schedule:

DateBowlTime (ET)LocationMatchupTV Network
Dec. 20Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl2:00 PMNassau, BSBuffalo (MAC) vs. Charlotte (C-USA)ESPN
Dec. 20Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl7:30 PMFrisco, TXUtah State (MWC) vs. Kent State (MAC)ESPN2
Dec. 21New Mexico Bowl2:00 PMAlbuquerque, NMCentral Michigan (MAC) vs. San Diego State (MWC)ESPN
Dec. 21FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl2:30 PMOrlando, FLLiberty (Ind.) vs. Georgia Southern (Sun Belt)CBSSN
Dec. 21Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl3:30 PMBoca Raton, FLSMU (AAC) vs. FAU (C-USA)ABC
Dec. 21Camellia Bowl5:30 PMMontgomery, ALArkansas State (Sun Belt) vs. FIU (C-USA)ESPN
Dec. 21Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl7:30 PMLas Vegas, NVBoise State (MWC) vs. Washington (Pac-12)ABC
Dec. 21R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl9:00 PMNew Orleans, LAAppalachian State (Sun Belt) vs. UAB (C-USA)ESPN
Dec. 23Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl2:30 PMTampa, FLUCF (AAC) vs. Marshall (C-USA)ESPN
Dec. 24SoFi Hawai'i Bowl8:00 PMHonolulu, HIHawaii (MWC) vs. BYU (Ind.)ESPN
Dec. 26Walk-On's Independence Bowl4:00 PMShreveport, LALouisiana Tech (C-USA) vs. Miami, FL (ACC)ESPN
Dec. 26Quick Lane Bowl8:00 PMDetroit, MIPittsburgh (ACC) vs. Eastern Michigan (MAC)ESPN
Dec. 27Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman12:00 PMAnnapolis, MDNorth Carolina (ACC) vs. Temple (AAC)ESPN
Dec. 27New Era Pinstripe Bowl3:20 PMBronx, NYMichigan State (Big Ten) vs. Wake Forest (ACC)ESPN
Dec. 27Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl6:45 PMHouston, TXOklahoma State (Big 12) vs. Texas A&M (SEC)ESPN
Dec. 27San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl8:00 PMSan Diego, CAUSC (Pac-12) vs. Iowa (Big Ten)FS1
Dec. 27Cheez-It Bowl10:15 PMPhoenix, AZAir Force (MWC) vs. Washington State (Pac-12)ESPN
Dec. 28Camping World Bowl12:00 PMOrlando, FLNotre Dame (Ind.) vs. Iowa State (Big 12)ABC
Dec. 28Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic12:00 PMArlington, TXPenn State (Big Ten) vs. Memphis (AAC)ESPN
Dec. 28Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl4:00 PMAtlanta, GALSU (SEC) vs. Oklahoma (Big 12)ESPN
Dec. 28PlayStation Fiesta Bowl8:00 PMGlendale, AZOhio State (Big Ten) vs. Clemson (ACC)ESPN
Dec. 30SERVPRO First Responder Bowl12:30 PMDallas, TXWestern Michigan (MAC) vs. Western Kentucky (C-USA)ESPN
Dec. 30Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl4:00 PMNashville, TNMississippi State (SEC) vs. Louisville (ACC) ESPN
Dec. 30Redbox Bowl4:00 PMSanta Clara, CACalifornia (Pac-12) vs. Illinois (Big Ten)Fox
Dec. 30Capital One Orange Bowl8:00 PMMiami Gardens, FLVirginia (ACC) vs. Florida (SEC)ESPN
Dec. 31Belk Bowl12:00 PMCharlotte, NCVirginia Tech (ACC) vs. Kentucky (SEC)ESPN
Dec. 31Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl2:00 PMEl Paso, TXFlorida State (ACC) vs. Arizona State (Pac-12)CBS
Dec. 31AutoZone Liberty Bowl3:45 PMMemphis, TNNavy (AAC) vs. Kansas State (Big 12)ESPN
Dec. 31NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl4:30 PMTucson, AZWyoming (MWC) vs. Georgia State (Sun Belt)CBSSN
Dec. 31Valero Alamo Bowl7:30 PMSan Antonio, TXUtah (Pac-12) vs. Texas (Big 12)ESPN
Jan. 1Vrbo Citrus Bowl1:00 PMOrlando, FLMichigan (Big Ten) vs. Alabama (SEC)ABC
Jan. 1Outback Bowl1:00 PMTampa, FLMinnesota (Big Ten) vs. Auburn (SEC)ESPN
Jan. 1Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual5:00 PMPasadena, CAWisconsin (Big Ten) vs. Oregon (Pac-12)ESPN
Jan. 1Allstate Sugar Bowl8:45 PMNew Orleans, LAGeorgia (SEC) vs. Baylor (Big 12)ESPN
Jan. 2TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl3:00 PMBirmingham, ALBoston College (ACC) vs. Cincinnati (AAC)ESPN
Jan. 2TaxSlayer Gator Bowl7:00 PMJacksonville, FLIndiana (Big Ten) vs. Tennessee (SEC)ESPN
Jan. 3Famous Idaho Potato Bowl3:30 PMBoise, IDOhio (MAC) vs. Nevada (MWC)ESPN
Jan. 4Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl11:30 AMFort Worth, TXSouthern Miss (C-USA) vs. Tulane (AAC)ESPN
Jan. 6LendingTree Bowl7:30 PMMobile, ALLouisiana (Sun Belt) vs. Miami, OH (MAC)ESPN
Jan. 13College Football Playoff National Championship8:00 PMNew Orleans, LAPeach Bowl winner vs. Fiesta Bowl winnerESPN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Red= College Football Playoff
Blue= New Year's Six

Sep 19, 2008
Was listening to a podcast and the audible guys Bruce and stew appeared very defensive of the bowls. If you don't like them all don't watch em. I don't like all the bowls so I don't watch until nye

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Michigan and Minnesota should get rag dolled by Alabama and Auburn, could be a bad year for the conference in bowls.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Good day for the MAC

Buffalo.. first ever bowl win.

I dig the Bahamas Bowl.. the exotic location, the quiet, virtually empty stadium.. Thought it was more distinguished when it was the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl, but.. It's a cool start to the Bowl season.

The Central Michigan-Western Kentucky edition from a few years back was one of the wildest, most entertaining bowl games I've ever seen.
Congrats to Buffalo, they had a good season.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The only issue is oversaturation but judging by thread inactivity most people aren't watching or caring about the bowls so far so it's fine

Yeah I figured that's what some people are thinking, but I just don't see the issue. At worst, there are games on that some people won't watch. At best, there are all the positives I mentioned above.

Again, I can understand people saying they are not interested in a bunch of these games. That's understandable. But to say there needs to be less doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'd rather have these on TV than... what? The national cornhole championships? Give me more football any time!!

Also, you know who that hurts the most if a large number of bowls are cut down? Non P-5 teams, because the P-5 teams will get selected more, without question.

I'm not saying every team needs to be playing in a bowl game, but if all you can come up with as a negative is that there is too much football.... well... I guess I just don't see an issue with that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The oversaturation of bowls wouldn't be as big of a deal if Fox and CBS had the broadcast rights to more of them. One of the reasons it seems like so much is because ESPN is going to spread them out and place them in any time slot they possibly can. It just seems like it goes on forever. I'd be more interested in a lot of them if more of them were played at the same time and I could flip around like I would if it were a college football Saturday.

The post-New Year's Bowls are completely dead spots as well. If I were the Las Vegas Bowl, I'd be trying to get it moved to replace one of them and play on January 2 or whatever, especially with the new stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00