Prospect Info: [2019 - 126th] Jacob LeGuerrier (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
LeGurrier it was my first time seeing him in a game, I was surprised at how much he was jumping into the play offensively although it's not like he had a lot to worry about since the Storm had almost no offensive punch. He's got the physical tools, size, skating, speed, mobility. I liked how he was able to move quickly out there, he scored a goal off a nice shot from the point, he didn't try to blast it but still got a lot on it. Also seemed to move the puck well enough and was solid in his own end but a game like this it's very hard to get a good read as it was just so lopsided.
He was never much of a point producer, even in his bantam/midget days, which is surprising since he does have a pretty good tool box. Brock Otten has always been very high on him and has talked about him having a lot of hidden potential before .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was never much of a point producer, even in his bantam/midget days, which is surprising since he does have a pretty good tool box. Brock Otten has always been very high on him and has talked about him having a lot of hidden potential before .

I figure the Habs must have seen something in him and I hope they were right as after watching Wisconsin this past weekend I found myself thinking why did we draft him over Owen Lindmark. Granted I don't know much about either and it was just the first 2 games of the season but he looked good. It will be interesting to see what the plan is since he's a late B-day, if they will sign him or have him play as an overager next year.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
LeGuerrier, au-delà de la 1re impression
Article with his coach. Says he has used him against top lines for a while now. Was the defender with the most points at 5 on 5 on his team. 27 of his 31 points were at ES. It's interesting since 3 defenders on his team had more points than him as a result of their PP minutes and production. The coach's rationale was that he wanted him to stay fresh for PK duties. His coach likes his ability to move the puck in the o-zone and to breakout. Praises his progress with the puck and his ability to keep a close gap when defending. He played most of the season on the right this year despite being a lefty.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
LeGuerrier, au-delà de la 1re impression
Article with his coach. Says he has used him against top lines for a while now. Was the defender with the most points at 5 on 5 on his team. 27 of his 31 points were at ES. It's interesting since 3 defenders on his team had more points than him as a result of their PP minutes and production. The coach's rationale was that he wanted him to stay fresh for PK duties. His coach likes his ability to move the puck in the o-zone and to breakout. Praises his progress with the puck and his ability to keep a close gap when defending. He played most of the season on the right this year despite being a lefty.

There's also an article on Fairbrother.
CH : Fairbrother suit les traces de Juulsen

Those two are two solid D prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank JT

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-3_16-56-18.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
LeGuerrier si loin et si près du Canadien

“Sault Ste. Marie is so far from my hometown. But it's a good place to play junior hockey. We're well cared by the organization and we've the best fans. The vibes at our games are special and by far difficult to be matched in the league.”

“I participed to the Canadiens combine before the draft. I thought that I'd be going to Montreal or Arizona. TBH, when Montreal drafted me I felt some incredible sensation. My and my father were always Habs fans. I had other big sensation like when I wore that glorious jersey during the Rookie Showcase at Belleville. My two camps went pretty well even if I was very nervous. They told me to keep working hard because the defenseman get better with age (growing).”

“The biggest difference this season is trusting myself (confidence). I didn't have that in my previous seasons.”

“I was young and they (Sandin/Timmins) were like role models to me. I didn't play that much at that time.”

“I haven't signed a contract with the Canadiens. My agent told me back then that I could finish the season with Laval (train/play).”

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'll say one thing the kid can skate well and it's clear that the Habs have focused on high end skating/mobility among their D picks as outside of Juulsen all of them are elite level skaters or close to it. I'm hoping the Soo can get the Memorial Cup next year and if he has a big year then I hope they sign him since we'll hopefully have an ECHL team by the '21-'22 season so he could be a good guy to have as depth.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'll say one thing the kid can skate well and it's clear that the Habs have focused on high end skating/mobility among their D picks as outside of Juulsen all of them are elite level skaters or close to it. I'm hoping the Soo can get the Memorial Cup next year and if he has a big year then I hope they sign him since we'll hopefully have an ECHL team by the '21-'22 season so he could be a good guy to have as depth.
His puck skills are limited but he does move very well. With his size and reach he's got a lot of the classic tools for a good modern defensive defenseman. His awareness is pretty good too, it's the main reason why he was a regular right away as a 16 year old on the Soo defense even with his limited production.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His puck skills are limited but he does move very well. With his size and reach he's got a lot of the classic tools for a good modern defensive defenseman. His awareness is pretty good too, it's the main reason why he was a regular right away as a 16 year old on the Soo defense even with his limited production.

As long as there's a season next year I'm planning on catching more OHL games as I barely have seen much of him but now that Dichow will be there, these 2 are the prospects i've seen the least of so I plan to see more of each.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“Quarantine, when it all began I'd of never thought it'd turn out to be this serious in Canada. With that being said I wanted to take the time to try new things and keep my self in shape for the unknown upcoming season. First couple weeks back I took some time off to relax because my body was still sore from the almost full season we played. After that I decided to start working out and shooting pucks in my backyard (see pics above). Doing these things for several hours a day I realized that without any social connections with friends there was still a lot of time left in my day so i started to look around for something else to keep me busy. Then my sister told me about Paint By Number they were pretty cheap so I decided to buy one. I ended up liking it and it really was good to use up some time and learn a new skill.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days 2020 - Montreal Canadiens (LeGuerrier)
A minute eater for the Greyhounds, LeGuerrier took some nice steps forward this year, especially in the defensive end. With his size (6'3, 200lbs), SSM depends heavily on LeGuerrier to be a defensive stalwart and PK anchor. Is faced with some difficult tasks in defending odd man rushes. There's a lot to like as a defensive player. His mobility is good. His physical intensity increased this year. He's a terrific shot blocker who takes away shooting lanes.

As an offensive player, LeGuerrier is still a pretty raw player. He receives very little powerplay time. He can make a clean exit and does show some potential in using his skating ability to lead the attack. However, this can also lead to some turnovers when he's taken outside of his comfort zone. He's at his best when he keeps things simple.

Next year, LeGuerrier will return to SSM for his OA year and the Soo intend to contend for the West. As such, it may not be expected for him to improve his production much. He's probably a bubble player to be signed by the Canadiens next year. In order to earn that contract, he'll need to continue to become of the league's elite players in the defensive end, cut down on his turnovers, and be a leader in helping the Soo rise to the top of the standings.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This guy won't get signed.

I think he won't be signed, as well. He and Ruscheinski.

Next year, the rights to Fairbrother, Ikonen & RHP (needs to be signed to his ELC) are up.

We know they'll be signing Caufield & Harris. Possibly Norlinder, too. Also curious what they do with Olofsson as this year will be his final year of his 2-year contract with Skelleftea.

So LeGuerrier would have to have a hell of a year for them to sign him over these guys.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Any time a kid plays a 5th season of junior hockey you have to figure his chances at an ELC are slim to none. Getting an AHL/ECHL deal might still be in the cards though if he has a killer 20-21, he does have a few tools that might project to the pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad