Prospect Info: [2019 - 126th] Jacob LeGuerrier (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With the 126th Overall selection, the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select... Jacob LeGuerrier

Jacob LeGuerrier at eliteprospects.com

Jacob LeGuerrier - Elite Prospects.png

Jacob LeGuerrier - Elite Prospects (1).png

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
From Brock Otten:

Jacob LeGuerrier - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Was happy to see LeGuerrier get his first OHL goal the other night after going 100+ without one. That said, my stance so far this year has been that LeGuerrier is a better offensive player than the numbers might suggest. With his size, reach, and skating ability, he is good for about one impressive rush deep into the offensive zone per game. It's just not something that he looks to do very often. Will that confidence get there one day? Will he explode next year when Sambrook and Hollowell move on? In the mean time, he at least profiles as a modern day stay at home defender. 6'3, mobile, can make plays with the puck, and is a willing combatant in the defensive end.

In Jacob LeGuerrier, the Montreal Canadiens are getting a modern day shutdown defender. Length and mobility. Offensive game is raw, but there is potential there as he showed flashes of being a contributor. In a great program with the Soo. #NHLDraft (Tweet from him too)

He had him 18th in the OHL for this draft.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Now it's time for Caufield to choose, either go to Wisconsin and okay with fellow Habs prospect Gorniak or go to Sault Ste. Marie (who hold his CHL rights) and play with fellow Habs prospect Leguerrier. ;)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can't say I really saw much from him and that he ever caught my eye. Hope Brock is right about the offense because I don't think you take defensive players in the draft anymore.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Can't say I really saw much from him and that he ever caught my eye. Hope Brock is right about the offense because I don't think you take defensive players in the draft anymore.

I don't think teams shy away from defensive players. Defensive players that skate well, especially dmen are still a strong commodity. I agree that I would steer clear of defensive players with skating issues.

Reactions: Vachon23

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think teams shy away from defensive players. Defensive players that skate well, especially dmen are still a strong commodity. I agree that I would steer clear of defensive players with skating issues.

I just think that defensive players/grinders are easily available for little money or currency to acquire when they are already NHLers. I'd take a guy with offensive traits who could grow into a player around those tools, then a guy who needs everything to go right to maybe play as a depth guy.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
From Brock Otten:

Jacob LeGuerrier - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Was happy to see LeGuerrier get his first OHL goal the other night after going 100+ without one. That said, my stance so far this year has been that LeGuerrier is a better offensive player than the numbers might suggest. With his size, reach, and skating ability, he is good for about one impressive rush deep into the offensive zone per game. It's just not something that he looks to do very often. Will that confidence get there one day? Will he explode next year when Sambrook and Hollowell move on? In the mean time, he at least profiles as a modern day stay at home defender. 6'3, mobile, can make plays with the puck, and is a willing combatant in the defensive end.

In Jacob LeGuerrier, the Montreal Canadiens are getting a modern day shutdown defender. Length and mobility. Offensive game is raw, but there is potential there as he showed flashes of being a contributor. In a great program with the Soo. #NHLDraft (Tweet from him too)

He had him 18th in the OHL for this draft.

That was from an earlier ranking.

I had LeGuerrier ranked 18th among OHL'ers
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I just think that defensive players/grinders are easily available for little money or currency to acquire when they are already NHLers. I'd take a guy with offensive traits who could grow into a player around those tools, then a guy who needs everything to go right to maybe play as a depth guy.

I think we are of similar opinions just probably have different interpretations of "defensive player"

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
time will tell, people were pissed at the Walford pick saying it was too high when they could have gone with Entwistle, Stelio Mattheos, Samorukov, Lipanov, etc.. turns out they were right. But we'll see what he does next year, how much can he improve as he will be eligible for Laval after next season due being a late birth date.

Reactions: Andrei79

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Could be.

Getting a regular bottom pairing guy with a 5th is actually pretty decent.
Especially down the road when we may need some ELC contracts to stay within the cap. If he can come in and be a solid depth option during his 2nd or 3rd year of his ELC, then that's already a win for the Canadiens

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
time will tell, people were pissed at the Walford pick saying it was too high when they could have gone with Entwistle, Stelio Mattheos, Samorukov, Lipanov, etc.. turns out they were right. But we'll see what he does next year, how much can he improve as he will be eligible for Laval after next season due being a late birth date.

At least LeGuerrier was taken in the 5th Round. If Walford was taken in the 5th instead of the 3rd, fans may have taken less of an issue. As you say, time will tell. We may look back and realize that players picked after LeGuerrier were better picks (much like was done in Walford's case). But at least this time, the selection was made in the later rounds.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not a fan of this pick, I liked about 4-5 players in the 5th and we got none of them.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
O Rourke gets powerplay time. We will probably run 4 forwards on the pp but I can see LeGuerrier getting second line pp minutes. But he will definitely be expected to drive more 5 v 5 offense than he was. He has showed flashes of offense in the past but we had so many puck moving defensemen that it wasnt needed from him. Now it is. Expect his production to double this year.

We should not run the PP with 4 forwards this coming season. Both ORourke and LeGuerrier should be on the first unit unless Hayton returns. Then I agree LeGuerrier will likely get the top role, but maybe not.

Here are quotes from the people in the SSM board. They're optimistic about Leguerrier's offense production next year.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad