GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuuzi

Nov 3, 2017
The most important game of the tournament with Sweden in the final, and almost no swedes will even watch the game because it's in the middle of the night. That's just so clever IHF, real job well done. f***ing Pejorative Slurs. No wonder hockey is still such a small sport with these organizers being as smart as bait.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Even if Sweden has better high-end talent by a fair margin Canada is always the team to beat in hockey, there is just no way around it.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
not quite the GMG I was expecting, but I'll take it. Clearly the 2 best teams of the tournament. I'll give Canada the edge for the better depth, offense and goaltender. Sweden better bring it in the typical fashion the 2 NA teams go after it in an adrenaline fueled race to the finish, I want to be entertained as well as win the Gold medal.

My hope is a 6-3 Canada for the W to take the gold and 22 baskets of buffalo chicken wings for the bus ride home.

Reactions: snipes

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
not quite the GMG I was expecting, but I'll take it. Clearly the 2 best teams of the tournament. I'll give Canada the edge for the better depth, offense and goaltender. Sweden better bring it in the typical fashion the 2 NA teams go after it in an adrenaline fueled race to the finish, I want to be entertained as well as win the Gold medal.

The depth is more even than most poster here think. Our 3rd and 4th line has been producing, we would have lost against Slovakia if that was not the case. And common, better goaltender? Is Suisse and Czech that good ^^. Gustavsson has been the best goalie so far this tournement.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The most important game of the tournament with Sweden in the final, and almost no swedes will even watch the game because it's in the middle of the night. That's just so clever IHF, real job well done. ****ing ******s. No wonder hockey is still such a small sport with these organizers being as smart as bait.

The game is in North America. What do you expect them to do? Play in the afternoon when everyone is working so the swedes can watch? North America has to suffer when the games are in Sweden. It's just the way it is.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
The depth is more even than most poster here think. Our 3rd and 4th line has been producing, we would have lost against Slovakia if that was not the case. And common, better goaltender? Is Suisse and Czech that good ^^. Gustavsson has been the best goalie so far this tournement.
It's not that weird that most canadian supporters would think that Hart's been better if you think about it. Watching TSN before and during the tournament, they've been hyping up Hart as the new Price. Fans tend to be less and less objective (fans of all nationalities), and that's pretty sad, easpecially considering the vast information the internet's been giving us. I've noticed a lot of swedes that echoes the swedish "ice hockey personalities" who claims this and that, and it comes as no surprise that canadian, finnish or americans (example) do the same. I for one cant stand the "cheerleading"-commentating that plauges the swedish broadcasts... The advantage us swedes have is that we understand english and can gather more info than say most canadians are able to, but most dosnt use that advantage.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
If we can win vs USA we can win this one too, it's about the same type of hockey played even if Canada is slightly better than USA. I expect Canada to be better first half and Sweden the second half like yesterday.

Officiating will be extremely important, expect Canada playing on the edge, phsyical hockey hopefully giving us some power play chances. Lots also have to do with utilizing our chances, Sweden was extremely effective yesterday (which is kind of rare). Sweden has to stop taking stupid penalties even though we are great at killing them. ;-) First 10 minutes are crucial too, Canada will most probably start in a hysterical pace.

Gustavsson will have to stand on his head again. The small ice is obviously a huge advantage for Canada but most of the Swedes dream about NHL anyway, they should feel extremely motivated.

It will be fun watching #22 again (Fjällby, ranked 147th in the 2016 draft.......) and in particular I expect Nylander to step up his play and start shooting the puck, he can do much better than this, he has a fantastic slapper and wrister but he has to use it. Nylander has to find his inner cockiness/confidence again stop passing all the time, hopefully nothing is wrong (injury, fatigue or mental weakness).

I want Alex to play up to his capacity, all I am asking for.

I'm a little bit concerned about Sweden's physical game but hopefully I am wrong. Usually I feel very comfortable with Canada playing physical vs Sweden but this time I'm not sure. Some guys in Sweden need to add some muscles.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Swedish announcers are incredibly homerish because no one else understands Swedish and they can get away with it, they're more like another guy on the couch at home. I wonder if there's some stipulation for NA announcers which forbids them to openly root for their team. I've never heard an NA announcer yell "shoot!" during a game.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's going to be all about the PP in my opinion. Canada's PP is good enough to win the game for them if Sweden gets into penalty trouble.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
It's going to be all about the PP in my opinion. Canada's PP is good enough to win the game for them if Sweden gets into penalty trouble.

I agree, same goes the other way around. Let's just hope we don't have to see the same soft calls as in the Swe-Usa game.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Deserved end game for a very meh tournament. No real star power and CAN has been able to get by despite being very overrated as a hockey team. Seems like a lot of teams brought their B game this tournament. Sweden will win the gold if they keep their emotions and nerves in check and if the refs can be counted on to call a fair and balanced game. The fact most of the players in Sweden play a pro game compared to questionable junior hockey should shine through. Being better conditioned, better trained and having better fundamentals will hopefully prevail. Just survive the classic physical and emotional CAN onslaught the first 10-20 minutes.

Ortos

Oct 3, 2012
Swedish announcers are incredibly homerish because no one else understands Swedish and they can get away with it, they're more like another guy on the couch at home. I wonder if there's some stipulation for NA announcers which forbids them to openly root for their team. I've never heard an NA announcer yell "shoot!" during a game.

I agree and kinda expect them to be homerish too, but, I think Tornberg was way over the top yesterday. No need to be that negative about the ref and the other teams players as the expert, there are other things I rather hear then him whining like any one eyed fan.

Reactions: JBeast

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The game is in North America. What do you expect them to do? Play in the afternoon when everyone is working so the swedes can watch? North America has to suffer when the games are in Sweden. It's just the way it is.

They've had no problem playing afternoon games all week. Strangely they even specifically pegged the US for the 4pm semi game, not sure why considering how many people showed up..

IIHF said:
If qualified, USA will play the 4:00 PM Semi-Final (Game 27)
But otherwise I of course agree, it's always that way, they have to set up the games for the home market even if the fans don't actually come out ;) It's why I'm glad the Czech team is playing the bronze medal game, at least I get to see it.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009

I wouldn't want it any other way :)

Final moment of the 2006 Olympic final where Finland put Tre Kronor under heavy pressure and Wikegård ceases to be an expert and is just yelling out random things :laugh:

When it comes to penalties I think they are quite fair and balanced. Had they been like an "hfboard homer" then I agree that it would be annoying. Leave the homerism up to the people at home;)

As for this game......my heart and my wallet are saying different things for the first time this tournament. Every game is different but Canada looked so good against the Czechs that its hard to go against them. Whatever the outcome, I hope and think it will be a close game

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
They've had no problem playing afternoon games all week. Strangely they even specifically pegged the US for the 4pm semi game, not sure why considering how many people showed up..

But otherwise I of course agree, it's always that way, they have to set up the games for the home market even if the fans don't actually come out ;) It's why I'm glad the Czech team is playing the bronze medal game, at least I get to see it.

They probably wanted extra rest in case they won and went to the gold medal game. For attendance purposes, though, it doesn't make sense, and I was confused at first as well.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Overrated Canadian team as usual!Will be a hard wakening for them after playing weak teams in the qf and sf!
Swedens team looks better in every aspect , If their top talent shows up as against Usa , it will be a pretty easy journey! 5-2 Sweden

Reactions: aphyro

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
This game will be a walk in the park for team Sweden... they can already hand over the gold medal to us.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I doubt that there are formal rules regarding that for international hockey, but it would be considered very unprofessional.

Very curious to see how Hart does for Canada. He's given away chances in each game since the tournament started. Perhaps he will be more consistent if (as is likely) Sweden can keep some consistent pressure on Canada. My main questions are how Hart will respond to high end Swedish forwards and how the Swedish defence will respond to physical Canadian wingers.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The most important game of the tournament with Sweden in the final, and almost no swedes will even watch the game because it's in the middle of the night. That's just so clever IHF, real job well done. ****ing ******s. No wonder hockey is still such a small sport with these organizers being as smart as bait.
Wtf do you expect? The game is in the US. Should they play it in the middle of the night local time just for you. Come on

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That Canadian speed is pretty scary. Not turning the puck over in bad spots will be key for Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad