OT: 2018 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-7) NEXT @ EDM (8-9) November 3 (CLINCHED PLAYOFFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
So you were commenting on the state of CFL officiating and just taking a shot at Manziel for the hell of it?

CFL officiating is poor but I really don't think it has an impact on attendance.
is CFL officiating poor?
i've really liked it this year. i found it to be quite fair, tbh. not sure what the gripes are about

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think Manziel is 1 and done in the CFL if there is not any interest from the NFL he probably goes to one of the other start up leagues down south whenever and or if they ever start.
There is talk of the Als giving Manziel a log term deal in the $500k range which would rip up his current deal and extend him longer term. That would mean a new deal would give Mazniel a window each off-season to explore the NFL as that is a new clause the CFL implemented into new contracts mid-season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
To be fair, I don't really see QBs in the CFL go deep a lot. Nichols certainly does not, but I think Lapolice influences him there. Nichols problem, as you've pointed out, is that he's frazzled in the face of a blitz or any pressure whatsoever. When he goes deep, it's usually pretty successful. That's what I mean by he can throw it consistently: he has the ability to do it, but his decision making is iffy when the opportunities present themselves.

I don't think Strelever is the answer either. This team is still short a good CFL QB, but they have a running back that allows the offence not to need one. Too bad they can't seem to use him properly. If they go down, the best chance is still Harris, but they try to put it in the air too often and it never works.
I don't think most safety's in the league respect Nichols arm enough to beat them vertically or with long outs. If the Bombers are able to isolate someone and get the safety to bite down enough then Nichols is fine throwing a deep ball. I don't know whether it's a LaPolice thing to be honest, it's not like all of the routes are underneath or backfield outlet options, seems to me they always have guys going upfield, Nichols just rarely makes that read, he doesn't attack enough. It just strikes me that he doesn't keep secondary's on their back foot by being able to fire some lasers over the top, which I think is a function of his overall arm strength. Maybe he's just really crappy at looking the safety off, it's hard to tell on TV and I don't get to many games live. Regardless something is up, defenses are just stacking the box and taking away the underneath plays over the middle.

I agree with you that his decision making is iffy when the opportunity presents itself and wholeheartedly agree that they abandon Harris far too often along the ground early. He's the key for Nichols, it's not rocket science, Harris makes defenses hesitate, they have to respect his getting the ball so they can't simply pin their ears back or sit back and let him get 6-7 yards before they touch him.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't think most safety's in the league respect Nichols arm enough to beat them vertically or with long outs. If the Bombers are able to isolate someone and get the safety to bite down enough then Nichols is fine throwing a deep ball. I don't know whether it's a LaPolice thing to be honest, it's not like all of the routes are underneath or backfield outlet options, seems to me they always have guys going upfield, Nichols just rarely makes that read, he doesn't attack enough. It just strikes me that he doesn't keep secondary's on their back foot by being able to fire some lasers over the top, which I think is a function of his overall arm strength. Maybe he's just really crappy at looking the safety off, it's hard to tell on TV and I don't get to many games live. Regardless something is up, defenses are just stacking the box and taking away the underneath plays over the middle.

I agree with you that his decision making is iffy when the opportunity presents itself and wholeheartedly agree that they abandon Harris far too often along the ground early. He's the key for Nichols, it's not rocket science, Harris makes defenses hesitate, they have to respect his getting the ball so they can't simply pin their ears back or sit back and let him get 6-7 yards before they touch him.
If they can make the ratio work, Flanders can easily replace Harris. I love Harris, but what makes him so valuable is his passport. Flanders is a great running back.

None

Feb 22, 2012
If they can make the ratio work, Flanders can easily replace Harris. I love Harris, but what makes him so valuable is his passport. Flanders is a great running back.

Flanders who has had a hair less than 100 carries in 4 CFL seasons is better than Andrew Harris who has consistently put up 1000 yards when healthy? Not to mention Harris putting up 500+ receiving yards...

Reminds me of when we had Fred Reid being pushed out by Chris Garrett, and then Garrett getting pushed out by Volny and then Volny by Ford. Harris is one of the best in CFL history, regardless of his passport, he's not going to be replaced by another flash in the pan.

The backup is always king I guess.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

Harris is ALOT better than Flanders regardless of passport. Flanders is just a lesser version of Harris. Even taking passport out of equation I am not sure who I would take between Lafrance, Flanders, and Augustine. All 3 have had a couple of flashes but haven't been able to prove it consistently.

Edit: Holden was clearly on my laptop today. I certainly don't post at work

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Harris is an elite back regardless of his passport. What would be the point of doing this? If they can make it work use both but Flanders over Harris is pointless.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Flanders who has had a hair less than 100 carries in 4 CFL seasons is better than Andrew Harris who has consistently put up 1000 yards when healthy? Not to mention Harris putting up 500+ receiving yards...

Reminds me of when we had Fred Reid being pushed out by Chris Garrett, and then Garrett getting pushed out by Volny and then Volny by Ford. Harris is one of the best in CFL history, regardless of his passport, he's not going to be replaced by another flash in the pan.

The backup is always king I guess.
I guess you don't watch many Bomber games of when Flanders has played.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Harris is an elite back regardless of his passport. What would be the point of doing this? If they can make it work use both but Flanders over Harris is pointless.
The point of doing this is because Harris got injured last game and he might not be able to play this week. Get with the program.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Not really what you said, but carry on.
You obviously didn't see this past week's game. If you had you would have known what I was talking about. Harris missed most of the second half because of an injury. Demski also got injured and left the game. That's why I said "if they can make the ratio work" because Harris and Demski are Canadians and Flanders is an American, so starting Flanders over Harris would take some roster juggling because of the ratio. Lesson learned for me is that I'm speaking to people who don't even watch Bomber games or understand the CFL ratio, so I need to give more of an update and explanation for you guys here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You obviously didn't see this past week's game. If you had you would have known what I was talking about. Harris missed most of the second half because of an injury. Demski also got injured and left the game. That's why I said "if they can make the ratio work" because Harris and Demski are Canadians and Flanders is an American, so starting Flanders over Harris would take some roster juggling because of the ratio. Lesson learned for me is that I'm speaking to people who don't even watch Bomber games or understand the CFL ratio, so I need to give more of an update and explanation for you guys here.

You tied Harris' value to his passport. That would indicate you're talking about him long term and not just game to game, and that Flanders can easily replace him because Harris is mostly valuable because he's Canadian and not that hes clearly a better back than Flanders. Lesson learned for me, is that sometimes posters don't make their points clearly enough and then double down on the snark instead of clarifying what they mean.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Yeah, we get that part, the part about what makes Harris so valuable is his passport leaves your post pretty open to interpretation.

Keep talking down to people though.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, we get that part, the part about what makes Harris so valuable is his passport leaves your post pretty open to interpretation.

People of my generation were taught that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but apparently we were wrong.

flies.png

As Martha would probably say now, rudeness... it's a good thing. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ducky10

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Harris is ALOT better than Flanders regardless of passport. Flanders is just a lesser version of Harris. Even taking passport out of equation I am not sure who I would take between Lafrance, Flanders, and Augustine. All 3 have had a couple of flashes but haven't been able to prove it consistently.

Edit: Holden was clearly on my laptop today. I certainly don't post at work
i'd suggest that Flanders is better. more dynamic (even more dynamic than Harris).

i've said it countless times. Harris has to be one of the most enjoyable Bombers I've watched, period. up there with Dunnigan, Tyrone Jones. Better than Charles Roberts.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Both parts are true. Harris is a very good running back, but it is his passport that gives him most of his value.

I'm not talking down to anyone...you criticized my post, so I commented that if you had watched the game you'd know what I was referring to. That's true. Seems like a lot of people commenting here without actually watching the games.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
i'd suggest that Flanders is better. more dynamic (even more dynamic than Harris).

i've said it countless times. Harris has to be one of the most enjoyable Bombers I've watched, period. up there with Dunnigan, Tyrone Jones. Better than Charles Roberts.
I would agree with this...Flanders is an excellent running back, and is arguably better and more dynamic than Harris. He's definitely quicker than Harris as Harris has slowed down in recent years...he doesn't have the breakaway speed he once had. But he's still a very good all around back.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I guess you don't watch many Bomber games of when Flanders has played.

Short-term there's no efficient way of replacing Harris with any American, the roster is designed around him as a premiere player. When you're taking Harris out you need to put another Canadian in at another position, and they're not likely to be better than their American counterpart, unlike Harris who is elite regardless of his passport.

If you're discussing replacing him you're discussing long-term because there's no logical way you can compensate for him in the short-term when accounting for things like the salary cap.

Someone who's clearly been watching the CFL longer than me should understand that there's no short-term replacing a Canadian starter as good as Harris without hurting the team in another position. That's why it's asinine to say you were talking short-term, there's absolutely no way to replace Harris from within because the ratio is literally built around Harris starting.

And for the record I've watched every single CFL game that Flanders has played. The "flash in the pan" was hyperbole, but the point was that there's no comfortable way to replace Harris with Flanders mid-season. Which is why your post makes no sense as anything but a discussion of long-term roster management.

I'm not talking down to anyone...you criticized my post, so I commented that if you had watched the game you'd know what I was referring to. That's true. Seems like a lot of people commenting here without actually watching the games.

...Get with the program.

Not talking down to anyone, but you've got a very holier than thou approach to criticism.

Both parts are true. Harris is a very good running back, but it is his passport that gives him most of his value.

Literally the most efficient and statistically best RB in the league's value being diminished saying that his primary value is that he's a Canadian. Do you even watch the CFL?

Reactions: csk

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Says he's not talking down to people. Proceeds to talk down to people. :facepalm:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ducky10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Stating a fact does not equal "talking down to people".

Saying "get with the program" and "it's clear you guys aren't even watching the games" in a snarky way is certainly talking down to people.

Flanders is good, Harris is better. Passport aside.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Short-term there's no efficient way of replacing Harris with any American, the roster is designed around him as a premiere player. When you're taking Harris out you need to put another Canadian in at another position, and they're not likely to be better than their American counterpart, unlike Harris who is elite regardless of his passport.

If you're discussing replacing him you're discussing long-term because there's no logical way you can compensate for him in the short-term when accounting for things like the salary cap.

Someone who's clearly been watching the CFL longer than me should understand that there's no short-term replacing a Canadian starter as good as Harris without hurting the team in another position. That's why it's asinine to say you were talking short-term, there's absolutely no way to replace Harris from within because the ratio is literally built around Harris starting.

And for the record I've watched every single CFL game that Flanders has played. The "flash in the pan" was hyperbole, but the point was that there's no comfortable way to replace Harris with Flanders mid-season. Which is why your post makes no sense as anything but a discussion of long-term roster management.

Not talking down to anyone, but you've got a very holier than thou approach to criticism.

Literally the most efficient and statistically best RB in the league's value being diminished saying that his primary value is that he's a Canadian. Do you even watch the CFL?
I guess you've never watched Timothly Flanders play in an actual game and you instead prefer to focus on stats. But let's look at the stats, since that's what you seem to like. Here the average YPC for both Harris and Flanders the last 2 years (Flanders has only played one game in 2018 so not including that):

2016:
Harris: 5.0
Flanders: 6.1

2017:
Harris: 5.5
Flanders: 5.3

Flanders is also a more dynamic receiver IF you have ever seen him play that is.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Saying "get with the program" and "it's clear you guys aren't even watching the games" in a snarky way is certainly talking down to people.

Flanders is good, Harris is better. Passport aside.
I guess it depends on your perspective. When people's comments are clearly uneducated because they didn't watch the game, my comments are simply stating a fact. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but a fact is a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad