2018 Top Shelf Prospects: New York Rangers Edition

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Please find me one publication who calls Lias a poor skater.

Every draft scouting publication from a year ago who mentions skating calls it a strength.
I’m not looking through articles but his skating needs a lot of work and it’s evident from watching him. Even his first game I remember in the GDT people were talking about how bad he is as a skater. His skating is choppy, his edge work needs to improve, and he lacks decent acceleration. Speed wise he’s pretty decent and he’s very strong on his skates

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ill just say my own observations strongly disagree with that... as do many others. But sure.

Calling him a below average skater.. man im just not seeing that at all.

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I’m not looking through articles but his skating needs a lot of work and it’s evident from watching him. Even his first game I remember in the GDT people were talking about how bad he is as a skater. His skating is choppy, his edge work needs to improve, and he lacks decent acceleration. Speed wise he’s pretty decent and he’s very strong on his skates

When you realize you're not a scout and have no clue what you are talking about, let us know. Every scouting report stated he's an excellent skater.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If its so blazing hot, where did you have Miller and Lundkvist ranked pre-draft?

Fans always overestimate prospects. There are people here who claim that Lias Andersson could be a #1 center. Most neutral observers have him as a #2 or #3 center. I don't think I've once seen any neutral observer say he has a first line ceiling. Rangers fans rationalized the pick by saying he had Selke potential and all that. It was scoffed at here when a neutral observer who observes prospects for a living said that Howden would only be a good third line forward.

Pionk is at least an average top 4 defensemen, unless his normal form is nothing like what he showed in 28 games. Not every first round defensemen has a realistic first pairing ceiling. Not every defensemen who is picked in the first round ends up as a top 4 defensemen. Chances are most actually won't. If you think I'm wrong, go back and check. Look from lets say the 2008-2012 drafts. Look at what percentage are top 4 NHL D.

And I do think lower of the two defensemen than the Rangers, but that doesn't even matter. Statistically speaking, most first round picks are not top 4 defensemen, and I'm sure the number is even lower in the lower 1/3 of the first round.

Edit: I went back and checked this myself. 54 defensemen picked in those years. I counted 27 top 4 D. So about 50%. And I think I was very generous in my top 4 designations. Among those picked in the lower third of the first round, with the most generous designations, 5 of 14 are top 4 D. So I think what I said is correct. I think most just don't realize. But I also find it stupid to put Pionk on a prospect list. He doesn't belong on a list with junior hockey players when he was playing 20+ minutes in the NHL last season.

You overrate players/prospects too.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't call Andersson an excellent skater, but at the same time I definitely wouldn't call him a below average skater. He's....average.

Can't find many skating highlights since most of his goals come from in front of the net, but here he is skating by a defender(start at 90 seconds or just click where I have it). Again, he's not an elite skater, but he's not as bad as some people are making him out to be either.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
How much do you even need to watch a player to have a handle on his skating ability? It’s not like other skills where you have to have the right situation to see it. He literally does it every shift.

I’m pretty sure nearly everyone here has watched Andersson enough to have an informed opinion on his skating even if they’ve only ever watched his games with the Rangers.

And mine is this: he’s got average straight ahead speed but is good in tight spaces.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His skating is adequate, at least. If something holds him back from becoming a great player, it won't be his skating.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His skating is adequate, at least. If something holds him back from becoming a great player, it won't be his skating.
Yeah, exactly. He’s a poor technical skater, but that can be worked on with proper coaching. He already has the frame and lower-body strength to play strong on the puck and win battles. His top-end speed isn’t even an issue, it’s his lateral acceleration and agility.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah, exactly. He’s a poor technical skater, but that can be worked on with proper coaching. He already has the frame and lower-body strength to play strong on the puck and win battles. His top-end speed isn’t even an issue, it’s his lateral acceleration and agility.

And a large portion of his game is predicated on this ability.

I can't help but wonder if the people saying that he is a poor skater also expect him to be blowing guys away around the outside. He can work on his skating all he wants (that and strength are his focus this summer, according to Lias), but it will most likely be manifested in pushing guys off the puck, winning board battles, and hopefully reacting quicker to loose pucks in tight areas; not in Kreidering every defensemen that dares step up on him.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can't really take too much issue with their rankings. I mean, generally speaking, all lists are going to have certain players switching ranks.

For example, I'd probably say my top 15 is:

1. Shestyorkin
2. Chytil
3. Andersson
4. Kravtsov
5. Howden
6. Hajek
7. Miller
8. Lindgren
9. Pionk
10. Lundkvist
11. Rykov
12. Georgiev
13. Lettieri
14. Day
15. Ronning

But there's also a lot of fluidity to the list. It's not etched in stone and I can make a case for moving several guys around.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
From the small amount of footage that we have of Lias, and based on a small sample of watching him, he doesn't have blazing straight line speed, but his edge work and agility is pretty good. Not the fastest skater, but is agile and can move well enough in small spaces. That's where his skating excels.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

look at several highlights after 1:50 mark he has a good speed. Usually he is not skating around like Rico Fata, he scores a lot from in close and is fairly efficient with his skating.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's got average speed and a weird looking stride. We don't have to debate the opinions forever, just look at the videos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad