Not open for further replies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Boooo

I still have hope for him

0-8 on las 8?

Volmer & Chung were second and Jimmy G

You mean CB ? That sounds right
They dont have any 2nd round picks on roster since 2011, the last 8 are no longer on team.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Duke Dawson has to make it

I don't have the will power to really go through and look but I wonder how 2nd round picks are still with their respective teams since 2011.

NFL: average career length | Statista

According to this chart, the average career length for an NFL player is 3.3 years. Since 2011, the Patriots have drafted 9 times in the 2nd round. Dawson (2018), Cyrus Jones (2016), Richards (2015), Garoppolo (2014), Collins (2013), Dobson (2013), Wilson (2012), Dowling (2011), and Vereen (2011). From my count, 6/9 are still in the NFL. That could jump to 7/9 if Cyrus Jones signs on with someone else.

Gronkowski is still with the Patriots but he was 2010, so he doesn't count according to the year choice. Chung as you pointed out is still with the team, and he dates back all the way to 2009.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't have the will power to really go through and look but I wonder how 2nd round picks are still with their respective teams since 2011.

According to this chart, the average career length for an NFL player is 3.3 years. Since 2011, the Patriots have drafted 9 times in the 2nd round. Dawson (2018), Cyrus Jones (2016), Richards (2015), Garoppolo (2014), Collins (2013), Dobson (2013), Wilson (2012), Dowling (2011), and Vereen (2011). From my count, 6/9 are still in the NFL. That could jump to 7/9 if Cyrus Jones signs on with someone else.

Gronkowski is still with the Patriots but he was 2010, so he doesn't count according to the year choice. Chung as you pointed out is still with the team, and he dates back all the way to 2009.
It was a Bedard blurb on BSJ, though I think the drafting has been sub-par in the higher rounds lately and has left us with a talent gap in our young player pool.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Hearing Crossen has interest around the league so look for the Pats to keep him. So what do they do at CB if they do?

Gilmore, Rowe, McCourty, Jones, Crossen, Jackson, Dawson?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Very good

Dowling will always sticks out to me because of the build up and what the pick meant

Jamie Collins had some excellent times here and is one of the top paid LB in the game certainly when he reupped with Cleveland

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hearing Crossen has interest around the league so look for the Pats to keep him. So what do they do at CB if they do?

Gilmore, Rowe, McCourty, Jones, Crossen, Jackson, Dawson?
Gilmour and Rowe are your starters and Dawson comes with a slot cover rep

I like Jones a lot and Jackson is that next skills toolsy hard working guy they see something

McCourty has experience

Next year besides QB in the top 2 rounds they need a SS or any S

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It was a Bedard blurb on BSJ, though I think the drafting has been sub-par in the higher rounds lately and has left us with a talent gap in our young player pool.
I actually think the Wise and Rivers picks could pan out

I remain a big fan of this past draft - I’ll reserve judgment for a few years

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Hoping somehow during the year they bring back Lee and Flowers. Dont see other teams interested in them. They seem like players only the Pats can get production out of.

Gillislee was kind of a bust, all the hoopla around his signing a few years ago

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hoping somehow during the year they bring back Lee and Flowers. Dont see other teams interested in them. They seem like players only the Pats can get production out of.

Gillislee was kind of a bust, all the hoopla around his signing a few years ago
They always seem to bring a few guys back

Other than safety Belichick has quietly assembled one of the youngest defenses in football

The front 7 I believe oldest guy is Guy or Hightower around 28?

The corners are a young overall group but need Gilmour to be legit top 10 Corner and healthy to slot other guys in

This past year he added a OL and RB and next year I think he goes offense skills- QB & WR

Mason, Wynn, and even Andrews healthy is a heck of a young skilled OL foundation

I do like Tuney but Mason reminds me of Leon Gray and Wynn a bit of Brian Waters who had great balance and strength and made several All Pro teams with Chiefs and would have won SB with Pats in 2011 had Welker caught ball

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just go with the flow, if you're in at least the AFC championship EVERY YEAR you learn to trust the system. Habs fans got used to winning and easy success until it never happened again
Yeah, and there have been more impact players who he's cut or traded at this time of the year which seemed absolutely insane, then they go 13-3 anyway.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's Labor Day which means CHB writes about the AFC Tomato Can Division.

The Pats have been extremely fortunate that none of the other AFC East teams has had any sustained level of success the past 20 years.

DAN SHAUGHNESSY
The Tomato Can Division again will be the Patriots’ safety net

The first three games are not the usual layups. There are dangerous matchups vs. Green Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh after Nov. 1. Will the Patriots miss Matt Patricia? Nate Solder? Danny Amendola? Dion Lewis? Malcolm (gulp) Butler?

Fair questions. But again . . . none of this means anything.
You know why: the Three Horsemen of the Tomato Can Division.

In dramatic lore, they were known as Famine, Pestilence, and Destruction. These are only aliases. Their real names are the New York Jets, the Buffalo Bills, and the Miami Dolphins — New England’s ever-wretched competition in the AFC East.

What has been true in 15 of 17 seasons since 2001 (since Brady became Belichick’s starting quarterback) is true today. The New England Patriots, with all their flaws, simply cannot lose their loser division. For the millionth consecutive season, the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins are reinventing themselves with kid quarterbacks and doofus coaches.

In all of pro football, only the Patriots go into every season knowing they have a clear path to the conference final four. Only the Patriots start the season knowing that if they show up to play all 16 of their games, they will finish in first place. They will likely have to win only one home game in order to make it to the AFC Championship.

Which is why here in the first week of September, I am already looking forward to the first week of January so we can find out how good the Patriots really are.

If you are a recent college grad, perhaps born in May of 1996, this is the only world you have ever known. The Patriots won the AFC East when you were in preschool, then again when you were in first grade And second grade. And third grade. And every year of your middle school except one. And every year of high school. And all four years of college.

The Patriots have won the AFC East in nine straight seasons, 14 of 15 seasons, and 15 of 17 seasons. They have enjoyed eight consecutive first-round byes. They have played in seven straight AFC Championships. And they have done all of it without winning a single road playoff game in more than 11 years.

00882102_22476-1_rw_tomato_14oz.jpg

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

The Pats have been extremely fortunate that none of the other AFC East teams has had any sustained level of success the past 20 years.

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

The first three games are not the usual layups. There are dangerous matchups vs. Green Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh after Nov. 1. Will the Patriots miss Matt Patricia? Nate Solder? Danny Amendola? Dion Lewis? Malcolm (gulp) Butler?

In dramatic lore, they were known as Famine, Pestilence, and Destruction. These are only aliases. Their real names are the New York Jets, the Buffalo Bills, and the Miami Dolphins — New England’s ever-wretched competition in the AFC East.

What has been true in 15 of 17 seasons since 2001 (since Brady became Belichick’s starting quarterback) is true today. The New England Patriots, with all their flaws, simply cannot lose their loser division. For the millionth consecutive season, the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins are reinventing themselves with kid quarterbacks and doofus coaches.

In all of pro football, only the Patriots go into every season knowing they have a clear path to the conference final four. Only the Patriots start the season knowing that if they show up to play all 16 of their games, they will finish in first place. They will likely have to win only one home game in order to make it to the AFC Championship.

Which is why here in the first week of September, I am already looking forward to the first week of January so we can find out how good the Patriots really are.

If you are a recent college grad, perhaps born in May of 1996, this is the only world you have ever known. The Patriots won the AFC East when you were in preschool, then again when you were in first grade And second grade. And third grade. And every year of your middle school except one. And every year of high school. And all four years of college.

The Patriots have won the AFC East in nine straight seasons, 14 of 15 seasons, and 15 of 17 seasons. They have enjoyed eight consecutive first-round byes. They have played in seven straight AFC Championships. And they have done all of it without winning a single road playoff game in more than 11 years.

Nice to see Shaughnessy has upped his game in his dotage. :shakehead

Reactions: Fenway

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

Poor Dan having to suffer through another potential winning season. He's more happy in last place bc he can write more doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad