Patriots/NFL 2018 Regular Season - 1-0 - On to Jacksonville 9/16 4:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I thought Bentley looked very good with the first unit. He’s got some speed and he can hit.
Had a good first game too. Called plays and solid tackler. Could be good find. Christian Sam pretty good linebacker in coverage. Could really help covering tight ends.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The NFL is going to be a joke if that is the new standard for a 15 yrd penalty.
It's the worst.

I get there's more flags in preseason so that they'll have tapeto review to try and get it right, but man some of those calls just don't make any sense.

The one where Gillislee lowered his head a split second before the Eagles guy hit him infuriated me. Eagles guy is lined up to form tackle him very well, and then bam helmet to helmet. Nothing Eagles guy could've done. The one against Richards late in the game made no sense at all either.

This stupid rule is going to cost a team a game at some point this season.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Had a good first game too. Called plays and solid tackler. Could be good find. Christian Sam pretty good linebacker in coverage. Could really help covering tight ends.
Bentley has made Elandon Roberts a roster bubble guy I think. They both do the same thing, but Bentley has flashed more in 2 preseason games than Roberts has in his career IMO.

Going to be really interesting to see what the end up doing at CB after Gilmore/Rowe.

Reactions: rfournier103

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Lets see what Mr Johnson had to say about the beating they took last night:

Per Ryan Hannable of WEEI

“They had a good defense. We ended up losing 37-20," Johnson said afterwards. "That was it.”

“They were good," he said. "They were classy. I really have nothing to say. They were classy fans. Touché to them."

Part of Johnson's trash-talking this offseason was him saying the Patriots don't have any fun. He was asked if he thought the Patriots had fun Thursday night?

“I guess. It’s the preseason," he said.

“There wasn’t really a fun meter out there, but I guess they had more fun because they won," Johnson said.

About what I thought you'd hear from Lane after the Eagles lost to the Patriots. Amazing watching athletes run their mouth during the off-season and then try and play it off like its not big deal when they look stupid.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
For the month of August I'm in a timezone that doesn't allow me to watch the games, how's the defense looking in action? Brady and McDaniels will find a way to score points with anyone, I'm not worried about them. But the defense had a lot of departures and not too many additions, which has me concerned. Sounds like they're doing well though (albeit in preseason)

Marley

Feb 10, 2011
Saw this story regarding Wynn’s injury:

Patriots rookie Isiah Wynn suffers apparent season-ending Achilles injury

Let’s hope that’s not the case and it isn’t an Achilles.
Not saying Wynn doesn't have a torn achilles but I find it weird that the article features a tweet by the same guy that wrote the article. Like he's trying to lend his idea more credence by citing his own opinion. Wonder what his track record is for getting a diagnosis correct from just viewing video.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not saying Wynn doesn't have a torn achilles but I find it weird that the article features a tweet by the same guy that wrote the article. Like he's trying to lend his idea more credence by citing his own opinion. Wonder what his track record is for getting a diagnosis correct from just viewing video.

I’m with you. The guy could be right, but the way he went about it is odd.

There seems to be this new niche popping up for these sports docs who try to diagnose the injuries on Twitter before anything official is announced. There is a local woman who does it quite a bit (whose name escapes me).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Brian Flores called a pretty good game for the Defense in the first half. I was encouraged by that.
Lot of youth in that front seven to mix in

Deatrich Wise
Derek Rivers
Keointa Davis
Trey Flowers
Ja’Whaun Bentley

They stay healthy they are pretty good and deep

Reactions: rfournier103

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It's the worst.

I get there's more flags in preseason so that they'll have tapeto review to try and get it right, but man some of those calls just don't make any sense.

The one where Gillislee lowered his head a split second before the Eagles guy hit him infuriated me. Eagles guy is lined up to form tackle him very well, and then bam helmet to helmet. Nothing Eagles guy could've done. The one against Richards late in the game made no sense at all either.

This stupid rule is going to cost a team a game at some point this season.

I really don’t get why they don’t go the NCAA route and make these hits reviewable. Referees have proven time and time again that it’s all happening too fast in real time for them to make accurate judgments. I don’t get why they want to invite all the negative press when they could just take two seconds to review it and and get everything right.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I really don’t get why they don’t go the NCAA route and make these hits reviewable. Referees have proven time and time again that it’s all happening too fast in real time for them to make accurate judgments. I don’t get why they want to invite all the negative press when they could just take two seconds to review it and and get everything right.

What's bizarre is FOR YEARS it's been a 15 yard penalty for RBs to lower their heads and initiate contact when outside the tackle box, yet it never gets called despite multiple occurrences every game. First preseason with the same rule for defenders? It has been called 742 times in the last two weeks.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

The ****? Does any other team consistently lose high draft picks for their entire rookie season the way we do?

Just horrible. They've had some awful luck with preseason injuries lately, hell the whole league has, and the stupid NFL still wants to change to an 18 game schedule. Get the hell out of here with that.

At least they have the OLine depth to compensate for that injury (right now). Obviously that's completely dependent on Cannon getting healthy, and no major injuries to the other top 5/6 guys. Trading for Brown and re-signing Waddle look like great moves right now in light of this news.

Can you imagine the panic if Wynn was projected to be their starting LT this season?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Just horrible. They've had some awful luck with preseason injuries lately, hell the whole league has, and the stupid NFL still wants to change to an 18 game schedule. Get the hell out of here with that.

At least they have the OLine depth to compensate for that injury (right now). Obviously that's completely dependent on Cannon getting healthy, and no major injuries to the other top 5/6 guys. Trading for Brown and re-signing Waddle look like great moves right now in light of this news.

Can you imagine the panic if Wynn was projected to be their starting LT this season?

It's just exhausting.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It's just exhausting.
Pre-season really should only be two games, the last two weeks of August. I'd guess a lot of these injuries happen earlier in training camp and in the first game or two of the pre-season because players aren't in condition yet.

I mean, injuries are going to happen in any sport, especially a violent one like football, but without looking at any data, it seems like more and more players are going down with significant injuries every year before the season even starts.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I heard that Wynn wasn't going to start and would be in a kind of "redshirt" year anyway. But still, that sucks because that's an injury that's going to always be with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad