2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games | General Discussion

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this schedule is so weird.
albeit Nagano is like 20 years ago, but i really don't remember all this dead time + condensed schedules. (vancouver didn't have it either, neither did Sochi).

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I am in the minority (I'm in my late 30s, so that might have something to do with it) that is totally fine with no NHL players in the hockey. 2002 preliminary game between Latvia and Slovakia was the greatest hockey game I have ever seen and both teams (Latvia only had a few) had few NHL players. That game was just the greatest game I have ever seen - a 6-6 tie.

By the way, is there a thread to discuss the hockey games starting today/tonight/this morning??

Reactions: Pilky01

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am in the minority (I'm in my late 30s, so that might have something to do with it) that is totally fine with no NHL players in the hockey. 2002 preliminary game between Latvia and Slovakia was the greatest hockey game I have ever seen and both teams (Latvia only had a few) had few NHL players. That game was just the greatest game I have ever seen - a 6-6 tie.

By the way, is there a thread to discuss the hockey games starting today/tonight/this morning??
The Olympic hockey talk board is right up at the top of the site.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I am with you on NHL players, and yeah, I think it is probably an age thing. I am early 30's, so I lived through the 'glory years' of the NHL at the Olympics and have been adequately satiated. I am actually kind of excited to watch the hockey specifically because of the lack of NHL'ers.

That being said....these Olympics might as well not even be going on for all the attention I have paid them. I have so little interest in the games as a whole I almost feel kind of guilty. I just dont care about the Olympics anymore.

Reactions: Northerner

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What the Norwegian papers are writing, is a lot about very bad attendance. Relatively empty stands.

Is this a subject other places?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The Olympic coverage of all the snowboarding and skiing events are terrible. Every other run is a commercial break and a recap, hell they switch to figure skating in the middle of it sometimes. Not only do they do that they will show the run as a recap and tell you what happened before they even start. "Oh yeah btw this person laid down a perfect bla bla bla and won silver but you don't get to see it."

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Olympic coverage of all the snowboarding and skiing events are terrible. Every other run is a commercial break and a recap, hell they switch to figure skating in the middle of it sometimes. Not only do they do that they will show the run as a recap and tell you what happened before they even start. "Oh yeah btw this person laid down a perfect bla bla bla and won silver but you don't get to see it."

Yeah it’s been bad which is why I am streaming everything. They also show hardly any of the event if an American doesn’t medal.

Reactions: Kyndig

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
So a week in and pretty much everyone I've talked to is wondering why it's so hard to find the current standings in the events. Is it really necessary to go through several drop down menus or download a PDF just to find out the status of an event?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was watching NBC's primetime coverage on tape delay for the first 5 days of the Games and USA won gold in each of them. Unfortunately, I had the results of a couple of them spoiled for me before I caught up, so I started sacrificing a little convenience by watching live 3 nights ago. USA hasn't won since. I'm not sure that they've even medaled since. This is getting pretty annoying.

Edit: Just an hour after posting this, USA gets a medal. Figures...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody Webster

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I was watching NBC's primetime coverage on tape delay for the first 5 days of the Games and USA won gold in each of them. Unfortunately, I had the results of a couple of them spoiled for me before I caught up, so I started sacrificing a little convenience by watching live 3 nights ago. USA hasn't won since. I'm not sure they've even medaled since. This is getting pretty annoying.

May be about to lose out what was expected to be another medal in men's freestyle slopestyle. Best guy they had got hurt on his 2nd run and won't advance

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Are there a lack of events going on today? NBC has pretty much zero live events being shown tonight in primetime

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Are there a lack of events going on today? NBC has pretty much zero live events being shown tonight in primetime

Yeah its a slower day. Winter games are tough like that because fewer events. It was even worse 10-20 years ago. they've added 20 events at least since then.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's really odd they would have a weekend day be one of there slow days. You would think this would be one of the days they would be trying to get more eyes on the events. Just really odd scheduling for the games this year still.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It's really odd they would have a weekend day be one of there slow days. You would think this would be one of the days they would be trying to get more eyes on the events. Just really odd scheduling for the games this year still.

I take it US media didn't show the cross-country skiing relays? Womens yesterday, mens today. The every-four-year - super-superbowl weekend in some parts of the world. Not yours, though. It was also the mens 15 km mass start in biathlon today. Well, massive events.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011

Well i remember Olympics without "NHL" players too. For me it was much more exiting to these times, as it is now. It was so much fun to watch the Soviet Union/GUS with Khomutov and Bykov. Always thought the puck adheres on their stick.

Or the Czechs with the best players. Liked the old Eastern European hockey School.
This tournament has a much lower quality. The only advantage is that you dont know who is winning.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So who will win the over all medals table?

Germany got some solid chances left I think. Bob sleight, Nordic combined (team), 2 x biathlon. Nordic is more or less a given unless the wind disrupts the ski jumping again. I don't follow bob sleight, but I guess another solid chance. Favourites for me in 2 x biathlon as well. Any other chances?

For Norway Kristoffersen could win (for Hirscher to lose of course). Lorentzen can win the 1000m. 2 x cross-country. Biathlon for men is possible. Might be that Norway got to win biathlon for men - beating Germany to win the overall. Not sure if Norway will take any more golds. Not favourites in any of the remaining events in my opinion (even if that is 5 decent chances).

So who will win the over all medals table?

Germany got some solid chances left I think. Bob sleight, Nordic combined (team), 2 x biathlon. Nordic is more or less a given unless the wind disrupts the ski jumping again. I don't follow bob sleight, but I guess another solid chance. Favourites for me in 2 x biathlon as well. Any other chances?

I'm guessing you're talking about golds and not total medals. But either way, the Germans have the 3 top 4-man sleds this year in bobsleigh. Over the last 2 years, between them, they've won 14 of the 16 World Cup races. And the winners of the 2 races they didn't succeed in aren't competing here. So no gold would be a massive upset.

Ramona Hofmeister is also ranked #2 in the PGS in snowboarding. But she'll have a tough battle as Ledecka, who's #1, is the heavy favorite as she's won 5 of 7 races this year.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm guessing you're talking about golds and not total medals. But either way, the Germans have the 3 top 4-man sleds this year in bobsleigh. Over the last 2 years, between them, they've won 14 of the 16 World Cup races. And the winners of the 2 races they didn't succeed in aren't competing here. So no gold would be a massive upset.

Ramona Hofmeister is also ranked #2 in the PGS in snowboarding. But she'll have a tough battle as Ledecka, who's #1, is the heavy favorite as she's won 5 of 7 races this year.
I still can't believe Ledecka won the Super-G, Hofmeister should have tried, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad