2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games | General Discussion

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The official medals table starts with gold. So 1 gold is worth more than 500 silver. Norway will “win” in terms of most medals of course, but looks like Norway will end up second in the table.

Disappointing with the slalom this morning. Our biggest chance with Hirscher gone.

The official medals table starts with gold. So 1 gold is worth more than 500 silver. Norway will “win” in terms of most medals of course, but looks like Norway will end up second in the table.

Disappointing with the slalom this morning. Our biggest chance with Hirscher gone.

I realize this is the eternal debate but there is no official medals table. The IOC itself doesn't keep track of one. Each organizer and country is free to tabulate it however they want.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I realize this is the eternal debate but there is no official medals table. The IOC itself doesn't keep track of one. Each organizer and country is free to tabulate it however they want.

I think there is a fairly strong consencus to do it with 1 gold better than a million silver. With the exception of the USA, but then again, USA thinks it's right to use yards and fahrenheit and all kind of weird stuff ;-).

Anyhow, the most important thing with the Olympics isn't to win, but to participate. Even if even our Norwegian Hockey team- normally our only true olympians- managed to ruin it by winning a game this time.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Right. I guess you are right that 38 70 year old men haven't sat down in a room to officially decide this. There is however a medals table on the homepage of the games. I guess it is as official as we will get?

The PyeongChang 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

No. I'm not saying you are wrong. I didn't even know anyone would rank it based on total number of medals (I learned something). But I think most people/countries would rank it starting with gold medals.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Right. I guess you are right that 38 70 year old men haven't sat down in a room to officially decide this. There is however a medals table on the homepage of the games. I guess it is as official as we will get?

No. I'm not saying you are wrong. I didn't even know anyone would rank it based on total number of medals (I learned something). But I think most people/countries would rank it starting with gold medals.
If I remember correctly, Canada used to rank by the number of gold medals first, but we changed that in 2010 with the Vancouver Olympics.

Well, their official position is that there is no ranking.

"The IOC and the OCOG shall not draw up any global ranking per country."
https://stillmed.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

But obviously each organizing committee will choose to display medal tables as they wish. In Vancouver, the website ranked by total medals. I'd expect that'd be the same when the games go to LA.

They both seem like appropriate ways to do the rankings. I think the best compromise is to just use both of them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Obviously no right or wrong here (objectively).

One of the most famous athletes in Norway ever (at least considered so among the older generation) once said "silver is defeat". Without knowing I think most Norwegians would live by that. I certainly do. I don't think I could ever celebrate getting a silver medal (I can't even say "winning silver" which is an oxymoron to me).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So is Canada guaranteed to finish no worse than tied for second in total medals?

No? . Just counting medals, Canada has 29 now, Germany has 28. The Germans are sure to get another medal in mens hockey. They will also probably get another in bobsleigh, most likely gold, meaning they will finish first overall in the standing where we count gold as far better. Unless you are guaranteed another bobsled-medal, they can get it to be 30-29. Something I've missed? Any final Canada are guaranteed something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad