May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

pAnmu3y.jpg

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Short track has started. Honestly this might be my favourite Winter Olympic sport. Canadians looks good but who the f*** knows cause this sport is so all over the place.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Canadian Heat 3 Somehow Canadian Pascal Dion advances despite finishing way back. So all 3 short track Canadian get through in Men's 1500. The crowd is huge here as South Korean are beasts at short track speed skating.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Short track has started. Honestly this might be my favourite Winter Olympic sport. Canadians looks good but who the **** knows cause this sport is so all over the place.

They say hockey is chaos on ice, but everyone knows that definition belongs to short track. :lol:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:laugh: i was totally posting in the wrong thread.

and we got some crazy crashes! i love this sport.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They say hockey is chaos on ice, but everyone knows that definition belongs to short track. :lol:

Haha I kinda see it. But honestly if you know nothing about hockey it does look more like chaos so I can the arugment, but short track is pretty crazy with the falls and whatnot.

Crazy thing I love about short track is that one fall usually screws up the field, it makes it crazy as hell. With the passing and fighting it just makes it so more interesting than normal speed skating.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
and another Advanced.

wowzer. (also god. can the CBC app be any more Ad-y?)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Haha I kinda see it. But honestly if you know nothing about hockey it does look more like chaos so I can the arugment, but short track is pretty crazy with the falls and whatnot.

Crazy thing I love about short track is that one fall usually screws up the field, it makes it crazy as hell. With the passing and fighting it just makes it so more interesting than normal speed skating.

It really makes it so that anyone has a chance to win.

I remember one year Apollo Anton Ohno finished first in the finals, started celebrating, then the replays started, and he got DQ'ed, and a Canadian moved up to win or get a medal.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am surprised the dutch isn't dominant in this sport.
Dutch tend to be good at normal speed skating, but nothing in short track. In short track it always tends to be Koreans and Canadians. Considering it's in Korea I expect them to dominate short track, BUT short track tends to be all over the place so it's hard to say.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It really makes it so that anyone has a chance to win.

I remember one year Apollo Anton Ohno finished first in the finals, started celebrating, then the replays started, and he got DQ'ed, and a Canadian moved up to win or get a medal.

and we can never ever forget Bradbury winning gold because everyone wiped out.

Reactions: Fighter

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Dutch tend to be good at normal speed skating, but nothing in short track. In short track it always tends to be Koreans and Canadians. Considering it's in Korea I expect them to dominate short track, BUT short track tends to be all over the place so it's hard to say.

oh i know. i just mean, considering the passion. you'd think you'd have some cross over. but this is v. much an Asian/Canadian dominant sport. USA made a big push too.

It will be curious how Canada looks after this regime retires.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Men's 1500 is tonight, but I don't see the semi's heats on wikipedia? Can anyone tell me how the semi's are set up and how many make it? Canada should have all 3 of their skaters in (all 3 of those amazing South Koreans and all 3 Americans made it through as well).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
oh i know. i just mean, considering the passion. you'd think you'd have some cross over. but this is v. much an Asian/Canadian dominant sport. USA made a big push too.

Different body types and different muscle fibres.

Long track skaters tend to be lean and tall (i.e. traditional European builds).

Short track skaters are shorter (i.e. traditional Asian builds, although French-Canada has pumped out a lot of these athletes too).

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

For sure, but some reason the Dutch don't really compete in short track. No idea why.

Not sure what you mean by current regime retiring. Canada always have big players in terms of skaters, I mean that's what we do. Unless you mean Koreans, but short track seems to nearly a national sport (or esports) in Korea so I don't think that's dying there either.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Different body types and different muscle fibres.

Long track skaters tend to be lean and tall.

Short track skaters are shorter.

I can see that to a point for sure. Long track you need those very long strides to be successful, whereas in short track it's all about positioning and working the group. Honestly that's why short track is more interesting, IMO.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
For sure, but some reason the Dutch don't really compete in short track. No idea why.

Not sure what you mean by current regime retiring. Canada always have big players in terms of skaters, I mean that's what we do. Unless you mean Koreans, but short track seems to nearly a national sport (or esports) in Korea so I don't think that's dying there either.

We do but i think it's sort of like the long track and people have talked about it if we'll be as dominant in an Olympics (while we build right back up) so i am wondering if we'll have a lull.

wow. it's v. rare to see an apex restart (at the games).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Women's 500m on now. These quick races are so fun, IMO. In heat 2 a racer wiped people out and still able to compete? MAkes little sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00