2018 Prospects You Drafted to your Fantasy Team(s)

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Thought it would be cool to see who got what in their leagues that feature a prospect system. The draft for my keeper league just ended and I got the following.

17. Joe Veleno
31. Jonatan Berggren
32. Alexander Alexeyev
37. Akil Thomas
38. Jonny Tychonick
40. Jake Wise
45. David Gustafsson
49. Niklas Nordgren
86. Logan Hutsko
89. Alexander Khovanov

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So far:

14. Joel Farabee
25. Isac Lundestrom

I have one pick left for that league.

I am in 9 dynasty leagues (don't ask... I have a problem), but I may cut back this year. The one draft that started is the only one of the 9 that has started its draft.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
10 team salaried dynasty league, 8 round entry draft. Currently waiting for pick #8 to draft. Last year our draft took 3 weeks to complete, as each pick is given a 24 hour window to be made.

Undrafted prospects from the past 3 drafts are eligible for us. I will use a number of my late rounders to select overagers. Weekly H2H G, A, PPP, SHP, PIMs, Hits and Blocks for skaters.

So far I've drafted
#4 Brady Tkachuk
#5 Oliver Wahlstrom
#15 Dominik Bokk
#28 Jakub Skarek

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
So far:

14. Joel Farabee
25. Isac Lundestrom

I have one pick left for that league.

I am in 9 dynasty leagues (don't ask... I have a problem), but I may cut back this year. The one draft that started is the only one of the 9 that has started its draft.

9? Good lord!

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
The 2018 draft is very close and i gant decide who i want!!
I pick
4 (kotkaniemi, Zadina Will be gone)
5(Hughes, tkachuk Wahlstrom?)
9(Kravtsov boqvist dobson)
HElp me to fix my mind ! ;)

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The 2018 draft is very close and i gant decide who i want!!
I pick
4 (kotkaniemi, Zadina Will be gone)
5(Hughes, tkachuk Wahlstrom?)
9(Kravtsov boqvist dobson)
HElp me to fix my mind ! ;)

My draft went
1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
3 - Zadina
4 - Tkachuk*
5 - Wahlstrom*
6 - Kotkaniemi
7 - Hughes
8 - Kravtsov
GM traded #8, #34 & Karel Vejmelka for Jake DeBrusk and Sven Andrighetto.
9 - Boqvist
10 - Denisenko
11 - Farabee

* - indicate my picks in the draft.

I'd consider one of Dobson or Bouchard at 9, but I'll freely admit that's because I don't fully understand the comparison of Swedish leagues and the North American equivalents as such Boqvist looks less appealing to me.

10 teams, 8 round draft. Salary league, so Defense/center isn't usually prioritized due to the typically higher contract values high end players at these positions get - unless the players are perceived to be elite.

Last edited:

BigDeal

May 12, 2017
I took over a steaming pile of garbage 2 years ago and stock piled for this years draft, so I had a few picks, its still not completely done yet.
1 - Dahlin
9 - Boqvist
10 - Kravtsov
11 - Veleno
16 - Bokk
51 - Mandolese (all the other top goalie prospects went pretty early, and I wanted to secure 1)
53 - Olofsson
56 - Gruden
67 - Shafigulin
72 - Lauko
92 - yet to be drafted
96 - yet to be drafted

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've been in a 27 team keeper league since 1999 and we do our draft a week before the real one if only to add a degree of difficulty. Our rosters are 12 F, 6 D, 2 G, 8 reserves, and 20 player farm.

Short story version:

19. LW Grigori Denisenko
46. C Jay O'Brien
74. D Sean Durzi

Long story version:

Entered the draft with picks 19, 59, and 74. I was trying to trade up from #19 to Vitali Kravtsov, but that one proved unsuccessful as he'd be selected #16. Ended up with my consolation Russian Grigori Denisenko instead; I was content with that one, I had Denisenko #14 on my list and was debating between him or K'Andre Miller.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-jack-johnson-had-his-spirit-broken-1.1109809

About 10 days before the draft, I happened to listen to a TSN Montreal radio segment with Pierre McGuire. The headline for the interview was regarding Jack Johnson who I had just traded for in my league (and at the time, there were rumors that Montreal was interested in real life).

Later in the interview, they topic switched to the draft and Pierre alluded to a "Northeast based prep school prospect" who was ranked in the 2nd/3rd round on most lists, but Pierre believed he was going in the 1st based on the info he had. Pierre declined to name the kid, presumably to protect the team that gave him that info, but it didn't take much detective work to figure out he was likely talking about Jay O'Brien.

O'Brien ended up #23 on my list. I was targeting O'Brien with #59, but I got a little antsy about missing out on him. So I traded #59 plus my 3rd rounder next year for #46 to secure him. If O'Brien pans out, I owe Pierre a beer. Possibly Jack Johnson too.

Alex Alexeyev also started dropping further than I expected. I had him #30 on my list and quickly negotiated a trade contingent on getting him. But just I agreed to send Filip Chlapik for pick #57, Alexeyev got taken at #56. That was a bummer.

How AI is helping sports teams scout star players

At #74, I kept it simple and took the highest guy left on my list which ended up being Sean Durzi. Coincidentally/Fortuitously, I was on NBC News for current events and happened to see a hockey thumbnail for a story. Took me a second to realize that the picture wasn't of NHL players. The article was about using computer algorithms to help identify players.

This particular's company algorithm had put Sean Durzi in their top 40 in 2017, but he'd go undrafted. Now it was looking like Durzi would go late 2nd/early 3rd in 2018.

Eventually bumped Durzi up to #48 on my list as a result. Otherwise I probably would have taken Tyler Madden if only for the "I had his dad on my team a decade ago" joke. Typically I would have liked to have taken a flyer on a goalie in this spot (I traded up to get Stuart Skinner in 2017), but Olivier Rodrigue went at #73, Skarek/Dostal/Annunen were off the board, and I didn't really like the remaining ones.

[/coolstorybro]

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
3. Filip Zadina
11. Adam Boqvist
16. Rasmus Kupari
20. Ryan Merkley
26. Jesse Ylonen
28. Akil Thomasv
34. Kirill Marchenko
44. Rasmus Sandin
64. Jan Jenik

I find it interesting how much higher or lower players go in different dynasty leagues.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
3. Filip Zadina
11. Adam Boqvist
16. Rasmus Kupari
20. Ryan Merkley
26. Jesse Ylonen
28. Akil Thomasv
34. Kirill Marchenko
44. Rasmus Sandin
64. Jan Jenik

I find it interesting how much higher or lower players go in different dynasty leagues.

I find it fascinating to see the effects of a salary cap vs points only vs multi cat leagues and how prospects are ranked from league to league as well.

In my pool, because of the salary cap and how high end centers/dmen get paid after their ELCs expire (without FOW or ATOI to compensate) wingers gain extra value.

Our draft tends to reflect that with the "more dedicated" GMs as there are 1-2 GMs that just follow the NHL draft order and go "Hmmmm, the next available player off the list is Barett Hayton, I'll draft him!" Hayton went 13 this year in my pool. I personally had him pegged around 18 with how the board was going, but that's not a huge reach either. Last year Henri Jokiharju (29th OA by Chi) slid to 70th. Snagged by a more casual GM with the offhand remark of" Oh, hey, an NHL 1st round pick available in the 7th round? Yes please!"

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will keep updating this post with my picks as my drafts go on.

22 team H2H points (each stat has a point value, most points gets one win, salary cap)
14. Joel Farabee
25. Isac Lundestrom
50. Jan Jenik
58. Niklas Nordgren

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
1.5 (#5) Oliver Wahlstrom New York Islanders LW (Traded up from #6)
1.8 (#8) Quinn Hughes Vancouver D (Michigan) (Traded down from #7)
2.10 (#22) Jonatan Berggren Detroit LW (slight reach; knew he would not be there at 33)
3.9 (#33) Jake Wise Chicago C (Boston) (another slight reach)
4.7 (#43) Jesse Ylonen Montreal RW (love this pick)
4.9 (#45) Ruslan Ishkakov New York Islander RW (UConn)
5.1 (#49) Fillip Hallander Pittsburgh LW (great value)
5.11 (#57) Semyon Der-Arguchintsev Toronto C (homerun pick)

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
8 round entry draft, any player eligible to be drafted, or drafted in the past 3 drafts can be picked. All draftees are eligible to play up to 3 years of Junior and must be signed to either a 40 man AHL roster or 25 man active NHL roster that is compliant to our league salary cap of NHL cap + 35 million or released into free agency after 3 years.

G, A, PPP, SHP, PIMs, Hits and Blocks for skaters. W, GAA, SV, SV % and SHO for goalies. H2H weekly matchups, 10 team league.

4 (via Boston) - F - Brady Tkachuk
5 (via Dynamo) - F - Oliver Wahlstrom
15 (via Dynamo) - F - Dominik Bokk
28 Blues - G - Jakub Skarek
56 (VIA Ottawa) - G - Cole Kehler
58 Blues - G - Matthew Galajda
61 (VIA Pittsburgh) - F - Alex Barré-Boulet
62 (VIA Berlin) - F - Ruslan Iskhakov
65 (VIA Moscow) - G - Cale Morris
66 (VIA Ottawa) - D - Libor Hajek
68 Blues - G - Kaden Fulcher

Flipped picks #74 & 75 for Anaheim's 2019 7th, 2019 8th, 2020 8th.

Flipped picks #76 & 78 for Berlin's 2019
7th & 8th.

Leaving me with the following for 2019
1st
2nd
3rd via Moscow
3rd*
4th*
5th*/**
6th
7th
7th via Moscow
7th via Pittsburgh
7th via Berlin
7th via Anaheim
8th via Berlin
8th via Anaheim

* — one of these 3 picks is conditionally Anaheim's as part of the Jake Allen trade where 2018-19 wins determine what pick is owed.
0-15 wins - no additional pick
16-25 wins - the pick is STL 2019 5th
26-35 wins - the pick is STL 2019 4th
35+ wins - the pick is STL 2019 3rd

** — 2019 or 2020 5th is owed to Ottawa based on what pick is given to Anaheim to finish the Jake Allen trade.

Edit 1 - Added scoring categories.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad