Olympics: 2018 - projected/possible rosters?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Toews-Perry
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Kane-MacKinnon-Sharp

Subban-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Murray
Weber-Ekblad

Price
Holtby

Portse91

Sep 18, 2013
Hall - Crosby - MacKinnon
Drouin - Tavares - Stamkos
McDavid - Toews - Perry
Benn - Couture - Seguin
Giroux/Eberle

Pietrangelo - Keith
Doughty - Subban
Weber - Murray
Ekblad
(these aren't necessarily the defense pairings, just my seven guys)

Price
Allen (suprise pick, I think he will be star goalie by that time)

Scaleo

Mar 10, 2013
Filppula-Barkov-Kapanen
Granlund-Koivu-Granlund
Korpikoski-Saarela-J.Jokinen
Immonen-Lehterä-Komarov
Kontiola, Bergy

Määttä-Vatanen
Ristolainen-Lepistö
Honka-Hietanen

Rask
Rinne/Raanta/Niemi/Lehtonen

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
These are my projected lines for Canada in the 2018 Olympics in Peongshang, South Korea

Goalies

Carey Price (MTL)
Cam Ward (CAR)
Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT)
Zachary Fucale (MTL)

Other possibilities: Roberto Luongo (VAN), Mike Smith (PHX), Braden Holtby (WSH), Malcolm Subban (BOS) and Mark Visentin (PHX).

Projected Lines

MAF and Ward will not be playing for Team Canada again unless they have some sort of miraculous career turnarounds

How can you possibly name that many goalies and not even get Bernier onto the list? I expect that in four years time he will be the strongest competition to Price to challenge for the starter spot

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I think South Korea will have Lee and Kim on their team lol.

Seriously, if the NHL doesn't go who would Canada have? Would there be anyone like Ovechkin that would go regardless/play in the KHL to be eligible? I have a suspicion that if Canada or the US wins gold, the NHL will go to South Korea to defend the title. If anyone else wins gold, the NHL will not go, thus leaving Team Canada to look like a suped up version of the Spengler Cup team.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I think South Korea will have Lee and Kim on their team lol.

Seriously, if the NHL doesn't go who would Canada have? Would there be anyone like Ovechkin that would go regardless/play in the KHL to be eligible? I have a suspicion that if Canada or the US wins gold, the NHL will go to South Korea to defend the title. If anyone else wins gold, the NHL will not go, thus leaving Team Canada to look like a suped up version of the Spengler Cup team.

I don't even think Ovechkin would leave to play in an Olympics in South Korea. I think these Olympics being in Sochi had a lot to do with his threat during the lockout.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Hall - Crosby - Tavares
Mackinnon - RNH - Stamkos
Duchene - Seguin - Eberle
Toews - Giroux - Drouin
Couture McDavid

Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Ekblad - Weber
Schultz-Nurse

Price
Bernier
Fleury

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Hall - Crosby - Tavares
Toews - Giroux - Drouin
Couture McDavid

Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Ekblad - Weber
Schultz-Nurse

Price
Bernier
Fleury

With that forward group and the coaching of Babcock, hand us the gold medal right now.

Best team ever assembled potentially.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Hall - Crosby - Tavares
Toews - Giroux - Drouin
Couture McDavid

Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Ekblad - Weber
Schultz-Nurse

Price
Bernier
Fleury

Lol where is the rest of Edmonton?! ahahah

The only guy with a chance is Hall and an outside shot for RNH.

That would be one of the softest teams ever assembled. Did you see how Canada dominated this year? With size and strength. wore teams down, cycled, won battles. That team would NOT be doing that. Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Marleau, Carter, Nash and even Bergeron are guys who battle in corners and in the goal crease. They are guys who are big and strong and wear teams down. As the Oilers show year in year out, fancy dangles and skill only don't win you anything.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

That would be one of the softest teams ever assembled. Did you see how Canada dominated this year? With size and strength. wore teams down, cycled, won battles. That team would NOT be doing that. Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Marleau, Carter, Nash and even Bergeron are guys who battle in corners and in the goal crease. They are guys who are big and strong and wear teams down. As the Oilers show year in year out, fancy dangles and skill only don't win you anything.

Lol, so you say the type of players Canada needs are guys who can cycle an win battles. Of the Edmonton trio, the guy who does that best is Eberle, yet you would have RNH and Hall on the team before him. HA.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Wow you must really hate the oilers. tsn had Hall RNH and Eberle on their 2018 roster And Had Morgan Reilly which IMO isn't going to be better than nurse. Schultz will be in the roll that Subban was this year and will be in his 6th season.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Wow you must really hate the oilers. tsn had Hall RNH and Eberle on their 2018 roster And Had Morgan Reilly which IMO isn't going to be better than nurse. Schultz will be in the roll that Subban was this year and will be in his 6th season.

Hockey Canada didnt trust Nurse to invite him to the World Juniors because of the fear he doesnt handle the puck well enough for the big ice. You think hes going to have a shot at the 2018 team, at which point he will just be 22 ahead of Rielly, who is a far superior skater, probably just as strong physically (but more mobile laterally), and also Ryan Murray??

And dont say Hockey Canada screwed up by not taking Nurse to the WJC. He's a Tyler Myers type. These type of guys dont generally do well on big ice. Hence why Sweden didnt take Hedman

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Hockey Canada didnt trust Nurse to invite him to the World Juniors because of the fear he doesnt handle the puck well enough for the big ice. You think hes going to have a shot at the 2018 team, at which point he will just be 22 ahead of Rielly, who is a far superior skater, probably just as strong physically (but more mobile laterally), and also Ryan Murray??

And dont say Hockey Canada screwed up by not taking Nurse to the WJC. He's a Tyler Myers type. These type of guys dont generally do well on big ice. Hence why Sweden didnt take Hedman

What have you seen Nurse skate? Don't assume because a guy is 6'5 he can't skate
Nurse in his draft profile was given a 5/5 for his skating

Last edited:

Bajahobo

Aug 2, 2005
TN
van Riemsdyk-Pavelski-Kessel
Parise-Saad-Kane
Wheeler-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty
Kreider-Stepan-Ryan
Backes/Oshie

Shattenkirk-Suter
McDonagh-S.Jones
Fowler-Faulk
Yandle-Trouba

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

I probably shaded towards youth a little too much. I could still see guys like Kesler (33), Stastny (32), and Callahan (32) making it. Just like I could see Ryan getting snubbed again. On defense Carlson (28) could be back but I believe there will be better options if the US brass keeps their eyes open. Torey Krug (26) is an interesting possibility for the powerplay. Zach Bogosian (28) will probably still be playing with Trouba. If Winnipeg takes the next step he could be there. There's also DeKeyser and Gardiner (both 27). Erik Johnson will surely be in the mix (29). On forward some other names to watch are Nick Bjugstad (25) and Colin Wilson (26). Jack Eichel (21) certainly has the talent, and Okposo (29) could make it if he's for real and injury free. Emerson Etem (25) and Beau Bennett (26) have promise. John Gaudreau (24) is another guy to watch, as is Charlie Coyle (25).

The goalies I'm actually pretty confident in, barring something weird happening. Quick and Schneider will continue to roll for the next four years, and I don't see anything slowing down the Gibson train other than Anheim's depth.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The picks for Canada are hilarious. No 2 way players, guys made of glass, lack of natural wingers, no right hand shots :shakehead:shakehead

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Players from the orientation camp that could still be possibilities (with ages, although I did this quickly and some players will be younger due to the Olympics being in the 2nd month of the year):
Roberto Luongo - 39
Marc-Andre Fleury - 32
Steve Mason - 29
Cam Ward - 34
Jay Bouwmeester - 35
Brent Burns - 33
Drew Doughty - 29
Mike Green - 33
Dion Phaneuf - 33
Duncan Keith - 35
Brent Seabrook - 33
Marc Staal - 31
Shea Weber - 33
Sidney Crosby - 31
Ryan Getzlaf - 33
Jeff Carter - 33
Milan Lucic - 30
Cory Perry - 33
Mike Richards - 33
Rick Nash - 34
Eric Staal - 34
Jordan Staal - 30
Jonathan Toews - 30
Vincent Lecavalier - 38
Dany Heatley - 37
Joe Thornton - 39

Obviously these players will decline with age and many won't be Olympic calibre in 2018.

Oh my God I am so old! :cry:

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
Pretty tough to predict. But, for a laugh. I would have some of the following players involved:

Forwards
Crosby
Tavares
Stamkos
Duchene
Toews
Perry
Getzlaf
Benn
Hall
Eberle
Seguin
Giroux
Lucic
Marchand
McKinnon
E.Kane
McDavid
Bergeron
Carter
Hopkins
Couture
Drouin
Johansen
Hodgson
R.Smith

Defense

Weber
Keith
Subban
Doughty
Pieterangelo
D.Hamilton
Ekblad
Murray
Vlasic
Seabrook
M.Staal
Schultz

Goalies

Price
Fleury
Mason
Bernier
M.Subban

Last edited:

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Stamkos-Crosby-MacKinnon
Hall-McDavid-Giroux
Duchene-Toews-Couture
Benn-Tavares-Seguin

Ekblad-Doughty
Keith-Subban
X-Weber

Price
Bernier
X

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Defencemen

P.K. Subban (MTL)
Kristopher Letang (PIT)
Shea Weber (NSH)
Drew Doughty (LAK)
Alex Pietrangelo (STL)
Justin Schultz (EDM)
Ryan Murray (CBJ)
Aaron Ekblad (draft 2014)

Other possibilities: Duncan Keith (CHI), Cody Fransen (TOR), Sean Day (draft 2015), Marc Staal (NYR), Morgan Reilly (TOR), Dougie Hamilton (BOS), Tyler Myers (BUF) and David Quennville (draft 2015)

Wat. Funniest thing I've read all week. :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
What the hell is Justin Schultz doing on some of these teams?

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - McDavid - Giroux
Benn - Seguin - Mackinnon
Couture - Toews - Duchene

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Murray - Subban

Price
Bernier

Yes I have a lot of natural centers but all of them can play wing.

bzer

Jan 31, 2009
What the hell is Justin Schultz doing on some of these teams?

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - McDavid - Giroux
Benn - Seguin - Mackinnon
Couture - Toews - Duchene

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Murray - Subban

Price
Bernier

Yes I have a lot of natural centers but all of them can play wing.

I'm not sold on McDavid but this looks pretty good otherwise.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
What have you seen Nurse skate? Don't assume because a guy is 6'5 he can't skate
Nurse in his draft profile was given a 5/5 for his skating

Oh I have seen Nurse skate. He moves well actually for a big man.

The issue though is that for young defenceman of that size is the side-to-side movement. For example, Ill use Seth Jones right now.

Jones is excellent moving forward with the puck, however, we have seen him get beat in one-on-one situations because he simply doesnt have the side-to-side movement yet. See Nathan Mackinnon just walking around him at the Memorial Cup. Its also happened quite a bit in the NHL.

Of course it will improve, but Nurse is a lot more raw at this point than Jones, and for me, I dont see it being at the Olympic level in 4 years. This is key especially on big ice.

Thats where a smaller, more mobile, but also extremely strong guy like Rielly has a natural advantage. Look at our defenceman this year. Only Weber, Pietrangelo and JBow were taller than 6'1. And if you watched carefully, JBow and Pietro both had some moments early in the tournament where they made some mistakes in dealing with one-on-ones.

6'1, 210 pounds is basically where all of our other defenceman are. IMO that is no coincidence

jgoud*

I'm an Oiler fan and this is ****ing hilarious. Schultz won't be anywhere near this team and although Nurse will be good, TC's depth on D is too good to give Nurse a chance. Eberle won't make it either. I'd say Hall has a good chance and RNH is outside looking in, but it's only those 2 oilers who have a chance. And the TSN team is missing Murray on D, and doesn't have Johansen or Giroux on their team, who have a way better chance of making the team than Eberle.

DrunkElkCZ

Apr 16, 2012
Brno, Czech Rep.
Czech roster will definitely look somewhat decent (with Jagr again maybe? .). But what Czech team need the most are two things. First, number one goalie that can steal a game or two and be solid in the rest of the games (Mrázek maybe?). Second, competent coach with competent coaching staff... here I have no idea how it should be done right now but I will hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad