2018 outlook

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Always look forward to the wings. LCA should be sweet. Z's beard. Ken Daniels. Mantha should be sweet. Lottery is a mess so we don't have to tank talk that much.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Watching Larkin and Mantha improve and take charge

Hoping Jensen or ouellet take a significant step on our backend

Watching to see if Tatar or mrazek or both are dealt and what the return is

Hoping to see Green traded at the deadline for a 2018 1st rd pick

Hoping to see positive contributions from sheahan, bertuzzi and svechnikov

Those are the in season things to look forward to in 2018

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Like martinez said above me, I always look forward to the Wings. Sometimes it's a chore watching their ineptitude, but I still always tune in for a chance to see a glimmer of hope flashed our way. That typically comes in the form of young players taking the next step - that's what there is to look forward to.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings aren't going anywhere and most players on the team are gonna turn in disappointing performances with Blashill around and I expect the likes of Mantha and AA to be worse this year now that he's had more time around them,it's just what he does makes everyone worse

interested to see how Hronek and Saarijarvi do in the AHL though

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Also looking forward to blashill making the squinty face every time we get scored on

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Kids, obviously.

Other than that I'd like to see if Mrazek can improve and if Tatar can expand on his strong finish now that he should be healthy to start the season, unlike last year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Mantha, AA and Tyler Bertuzzi is what I'm looking forward to watching.

Mantha, AA, Jensen for me. Jensen so intriguing. I hope he somehow puts everything together and becomes a legit top4.

Hoping to catch glimpses of Frk and Svech.

Bertuzzi just isn't that interesting to me, considering his ceiling is like, 2nd line at best with some sandpaper. But more like 3rd liner.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm going to enjoy the last year or two of Z still being able to play at a decent level. It will be cool to check out the new arena, it sounds like it's going to be pretty amazing. I'm going to enjoy watching the young guys as they continue to develop. I am looking forward to seeing how Mrazek responds after a pretty crappy year. The one thing I enjoyed last year was watching the standings. It's no secret I've viewed our years of being competitive as being long gone and I accept that we need elite talent and the only way we are going to get it is via the lottery. So I will watch our place in the standings and be able to see the bigger picture/long game of the pain that is necessary before we can become good again.

So while I expect us to be terrible Hockey is still fun. As someone who cannot stand baseball I can't imagine following an entire 162 game season for a team that's as bad as I expect the Red Wings to be this season. I'm ready for 82 games of Red Wings hockey. :popcorn:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lots to look forward to.

- Does Blashill & Co. get anything more out of the team, and the PP especially?
- Can Larkin bounce back and maybe take a step towards establishing himself as a legit NHL center?
- Mantha/AA getting full NHL seasons, time for them to go from prospects to players.
- Mrazek's play, does he return to form?
- Defense development: Jensen/XO/Sproul, with possibilities to see Hicketts/Hronek/Saarijarvi in call-ups.
- Svechnikov/Bertuzzi with likely a lot of NHL games.
- Zetterberg, always fun to watch and I'm personally rooting for him to reach 1000 points so want him to keep producing.

Personally I think we'll get lots of answers on our young players this year. I want to see 1 or 2 kids really start to push towards becoming leaders of the team.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Been impressed by Larkin. Is he capable of being a top 10 C in the league?
I'm not sure he's even capable of being a #1 C in the league. And that's not even being down on him. He's just never been a star-upside player. He's always projected as a very good two-way center who will lead the way with pace and hard work. But the game-breaking offense was always going to have to come from somewhere else.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hronek or Saarijarvi getting a call-up late in the season.

Can't see either being called up yet this year. Hicketts, Renouf, and Russo will probably be the call ups on D this year but depending on how the young guys do this year, 2018/19 seems more likely for their first call ups.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Capable of getting into that conversation at some point perhaps, but that's a long way off still. Step 1 for him is establishing himself as a legit NHL center and getting his faceoffs/defense to a level where he can line up against top 6 Centers and survive.

Can't see either being called up yet this year. Hicketts, Renouf, and Russo will probably be the call ups on D this year but depending on how the young guys do this year, 2018/19 seems more likely for their first call ups.
Depends on how they handle the AHL. I don't think Renouf and Russo or even Hicketts are considered big pieces for our future, they'll want to give VS/Hronek a taste of the NHL as soon as possible. Room could open up if we move Green at the TDL and Kronwall goes on LTIR.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Capable of getting into that conversation at some point perhaps, but that's a long way off still. Step 1 for him is establishing himself as a legit NHL center and getting his faceoffs/defense to a level where he can line up against top 6 Centers and survive.

Depends on how they handle the AHL. I don't think Renouf and Russo or even Hicketts are considered big pieces for our future, they'll want to give VS/Hronek a taste of the NHL as soon as possible. Room could open up if we move Green at the TDL and Kronwall goes on LTIR.

Except, you know, the LTIR does have a limit to how much you can put on it, and that's 10%. After that no more cap relief. And with Franzen on there, adding Kronwall means that the team has no room for anyone else, and actually it means they are over, so part of Kronwall's salary isn't getting any relief.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except, you know, the LTIR does have a limit to how much you can put on it, and that's 10%. After that no more cap relief. And with Franzen on there, adding Kronwall means that the team has no room for anyone else, and actually it means they are over, so part of Kronwall's salary isn't getting any relief.
I was talking more in terms of roster spots. Cap space is usually not too much of an issue when it comes to calling up kids unless the team is ridiculously healthy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

How? When?

Unless he just goes beastmode, he's got too many undisputed Cs ahead of him.

Crosby, McDavid, Eichel, Backstrom, Tavares, Toews, Barkov, Stamkos, Seguin. That's a bunch of youngish Cs who no one would argue were behind Larkin. You could add guys like Matthews, Nylander, Monahan, on and on and on.

No one on that list is over 30. They'll be solid 1Cs who are better than Larkin for 5+ years.

I don't see it as a possibility barring something miraculous.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
:dunno: I've been appreciative of watching Hank his entire career, so I'll be continually grateful to watch him. I really enjoy watching Mantha too. So, there's that.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
How? When?

Unless he just goes beastmode, he's got too many undisputed Cs ahead of him.

Crosby, McDavid, Eichel, Backstrom, Tavares, Toews, Barkov, Stamkos, Seguin. That's a bunch of youngish Cs who no one would argue were behind Larkin. You could add guys like Matthews, Nylander, Monahan, on and on and on.

No one on that list is over 30. They'll be solid 1Cs who are better than Larkin for 5+ years.

I don't see it as a possibility barring something miraculous.

Nylander...didn't he play almost all on the W? Can't argue anyone else on that list. Could even add in Kopitar, Bergeron, Turris, Sedin, Getzlaf, Pavelski all above him.

Could see im in that second tier with Kesler, Stepan, Krejci, Johnson etc..

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I'm just curious on the upcoming moves to prepare for the future

Tatar, nyquist, howard, green
Will they be moved ? And for what ?

I really hope mantha and AA show significant improvement.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nylander...didn't he play almost all on the W? Can't argue anyone else on that list. Could even add in Kopitar, Bergeron, Turris, Sedin, Getzlaf, Pavelski all above him.

Could see im in that second tier with Kesler, Stepan, Krejci, Johnson etc..

Larkin's played more W than C so far too.

I didn't mention Getzlaf, Sedin, Bergeron because I didn't wanna mention anyone over 30. Just named the first few centers under 30 who came to mind. Point is that there's a lot of them and they're all better than whatever Larkin's shown, and many of them are pretty young still and so will be top centers for years to come. I wonder if Larkin will ever even be a top30 center in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad