Prospect Info: 2018 OHL Prospects Review

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Great to read that Brock!! Really appreciate you sharing your observations and knoweledge about Brassard, really hope he can keep it up next year and get that contract. I think he will

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Calling it right now.

Dipietro will be better than Demko.

Dipietro will be a star in the league while Demko will be 'decent.'

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Calling it right now.

Dipietro will be a star in the league while Demko will be 'decent.'

Goalies that are Dipietro's size are just so difficult to project and it's why NHL teams are constantly looking for bigger, athletic goaltenders. Recent "average" sized netminders that dominated the OHL, like Alex Nedeljkovic, Tyler Parsons, Michael McNiven, have all had their troubles adjusting to the pro game so far.

But Dipietro does have that confidence in his abilities and if you're going to bet on any "smaller" netminder to become a star, it's him IMO.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
My annual review of Vancouver's OHL prospects.

OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Vancouver Canucks

Happy to answer any questions.
Thank you for the write up. Do you have a stylistic comparison for Brassard? I'm trying to get a read on how he plays and whether his play could transfer over to the AHL and whether or not he has NHL potential at all. Defensive capabilities will have to be really solid unless his offense can really translate and make up for deficiencies there.

How much of Jonah's game relies on his ability to be more physical then the rest, and do you think his game becomes marginalized when he competes against bigger, faster players at the pro level?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thank you for the write up. Do you have a stylistic comparison for Brassard? I'm trying to get a read on how he plays and whether his play could transfer over to the AHL and whether or not he has NHL potential at all. Defensive capabilities will have to be really solid unless his offense can really translate and make up for deficiencies there.

How much of Jonah's game relies on his ability to be more physical then the rest, and do you think his game becomes marginalized when he competes against bigger, faster players at the pro level?

Stylistically, you're looking at a guy like Mark Giordano for Brassard. Not saying that Brassard is going to develop into anywhere as good of an NHL defender, but I think they play a similar type of game, with Giordano being a slightly more physical asset. I think realistically, if Brassard does indeed develop into an NHL player, it would probably be as a 3rd pairing guy who can see time on the secondary powerplay unit.

As for Jonah, that is definitely a big part of his game and a big part of his success. I think you'll see some marginalization, but Jonah is also a very smart player and a big time asset without the puck. He has a lot of things going for him besides being "a man child." With some seasoning, don't see any reason why he couldn't become a consistent 15/15 guy in the NHL who can kill penalties and be a valuable asset to the Canucks organization.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Great write up as always Brock, a small suggestion though and maybe its something. I missed but can I suggest putting their position of the player so that for the ones of us that don’t follow another team can identify what position they play.

Example.
3. Matt Brassard - Oshawa Generals -Defense

It would help when we go read other teams players.

Reactions: Brock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad