Grading Ekblad

• Total voters

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
GRADING AARON EKBLAD
PlayerHeadshot

I'm going with A, even though I think he's capable of padding his stats a little more. Shell shock looks just about worn off...his not missing a game is what's making me seem perhaps a little generous in my vote. Sure it's implied to be more of an A-, but an A is an A.

@adam graves @Catsfan7 @pb1300 @Chino Oscar @CaptainScrewy @Dread Clawz @PanthersHockey1 @BeezKnees @Kellyr @Matthias Nation@Deadmaus @IM Clutcm @Jean Luc Discard @ZamBroni @Ryeram @Optimus Reim @skitsofrantic911 @PC76 @patthebat @HeroGreed@Pragmatic Panther @BabyBarkov @Mogo @CatscratchFever @Haj @Clint @Chaos2k7 @harv3317 @Ghoste @pantherbot @Great8Cam @ShootIt@RainingRats@FloriDada @Olax @16Skippy @gizmo12688 @Skeletorrr @iam76 @5 Hole @PSLguy @ucanthanzalthetruth @klabob @FlaPanthers11@EnforceTheLaus@I am not exposed @Kilipukki @Little Bobby Boo @Warrn @goCatsgo4 @sashalaine @jvr32 @Sportpsych90 @RunAndGun@letsgrowcactus@Dnigly13 @galaktx @ScottyMascotty @Beach Reptil @drktmplr12 @matmeshow @Gaebriel @flapanthersfan @Pumaconcolorcoryi@SwissLeaf@Aksu @MPGA @Piglet @GermanPanther @Jakeybonz @CanadianPantherFan @SoupyFIN @Beezer @zeroG @batting1k @Desert Panther@PantherboyHTR @Panthers Rock @FlaPnthrsPunk @angry_treefrog @JonathanHuberdoh @flapanthersfan @Beezeral @The Underboss@BB88@ThePatientPanther @IceManCat @Vilam @Kid Icarus @Dabeast @Handlethepasses @Ekblast @vendetta @Matheson4Prez@Sparkman112@Thewselius @juggernaut @Android 16 @jakethesnake23 @spacemanatee @Egblad @Erased @HockeyRulez @Holy Jokinen @Shockley @Aksu@barkovcanfinnish@AwesomePanthers @ursavolta @flomarilius @Rahooji @WESEERED @panthertod @Panteras @ratmanfu @cowboy82nd @Brokin @JP Mick @MillarWithASave @Bure1096 @Benched

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Voted B. Great shot, high hockey IQ, can make breakout passes. But, as was addressed, his complete lack of speed will ever prevent him from being elite. Even when Tallon brought Vincent back, while he clearly helped, he's waaaay too slow. Also, last year with Rowe and the concussions was a write-off, but he hasn't shown much progression in 3 full healthy years. He was good as a rookie, and is at about the same level as he played as a rookie.

Solid #2 dman that's plateaued and is overpaid.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Going with B-

Looked a lot different when Vincent came back. I do wish he made at least a million less per year but I don't think he's plateaued. Just gotta keep improving.

-ghoste

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Went with a B-, feel he has another level he can hit, love the goal scoring and still feel he has a 20 goal season or two in him. His skating improved with Paul Vincent but he does still need to work on things to be considered a legit top defenseman in the league.

For similar reasons as stated above I give him a B as well. Still seems a little early of getting hit or making the big big.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Offensive wise a better Season for him, like we looked in the End of the Season only 7-8 Defesnders in the League reached 10 or more Goals in 4 consistent Season. Also it was the first Season where Ekblad played all 82 Games.
ON the Defensive side, his skating skill lags. Only to remind, agile and speedy players passed Ekblad pretty easy, cause he was slow and his first steps was slow. Also with 71 PIM his most in all the Season is bad sign. As Top Defender you should try to stay on the Ice not been placed in the penalty Box. So his offensive Game still more important, in matter of PPG, PPP and GWG.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think it may be a little unfair to say he's plateaued. He's taking on more responsibility and starting to increase his minutes against tougher competition while still putting up the goals. He's not perfect, but we have to remember he's only 22 years old. He still has a lot of untapped potential. If you look around at the star defensemen around the league with Ekblad's similar player profile, they hardly ever reach that "true #1 stud" status before they're 24-25. Think about where the Hedman, Burns, Weber, Suter, Subban, McDonagh, Giordano's of the world were when they were 22. I think he still has a sky-high ceiling, barring injuries.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Voted B. Great shot, high hockey IQ, can make breakout passes. But, as was addressed, his complete lack of speed will ever prevent him from being elite. Even when Tallon brought Vincent back, while he clearly helped, he's waaaay too slow. Also, last year with Rowe and the concussions was a write-off, but he hasn't shown much progression in 3 full healthy years. He was good as a rookie, and is at about the same level as he played as a rookie.

Solid #2 dman that's plateaued and is overpaid.
Don't know why you think a 21 year old d-man has plateaued. Progress isn't a straight line up and to the right.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Don't know why you think a 21 year old d-man has plateaued. Progress isn't a straight line up and to the right.
Zero change in 4 years is enough for me. Like even this season, a nice "bounceback" year for him to be sure, all he did was bounceback to his form of year 1 and 2. Statistically in '15, '16, and '18 his numbers are almost identical.

What else is for him to develop? It's not like he's a player working on his shot or passing, he has that already. The complete lack of foot speed is his issue and I don't think that will be any better. If he's healthy I don't see any good argument for him to improve on his traditional numbers (10-15 goals, 20-25 assists).

Reactions: Jakeybonz

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Zero change in 4 years is enough for me. Like even this season, a nice "bounceback" year for him to be sure, all he did was bounceback to his form of year 1 and 2. Statistically in '15, '16, and '18 his numbers are almost identical.

What else is for him to develop? It's not like he's a player working on his shot or passing, he has that already. The complete lack of foot speed is his issue and I don't think that will be any better. If he's healthy I don't see any good argument for him to improve on his traditional numbers (10-15 goals, 20-25 assists).

He was pretty sheltered in his first couple seasons. He's on the top pairing now with more responsibility against tougher competition. I think there's room for him to improve his positioning and overall hockey IQ within a system, which is crucial for dmen. Boughner is Ekblad's 3rd head coach in his 4 year career. Having some stability and consistency of what he's being asked to do is going to go a long way for him (as well as everyone else on the D and Forward group)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

He's improved defensively and still has plenty to work on defensively, consistency in his defensive game is an area that he can improve on and that will make him better.,

His skating is getting better and it can still improve. He's never going to be a Matheson but his skating was so bad that any improvement is going to benefit his play and there's room to get him to be an average to slightly above average skater.

He can definitely score 20 goals if we get our PP going so I don't know why you don't see any good argument for him to improve offensively.

His rookie year was great but he was sheltered defensively and had a partner who carried a lot of the weight. He's taking on tougher competition and last year he was good defensively playing tough minutes, carrying his own weight. Plus he's had to learn multiple systems, just getting used to Boughner's with a year or two experience should help him make better decisions.

If he gets more experience playing tougher minutes, you think he's never going to get better defensively? He hasn't even hit his prime. He's only 22, had to double check his age.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
He's improved defensively and still has plenty to work on defensively, consistency in his defensive game is an area that he can improve on and that will make him better.,

His skating is getting better and it can still improve. He's never going to be a Matheson but his skating was so bad that any improvement is going to benefit his play and there's room to get him to be an average to slightly above average skater.

He can definitely score 20 goals if we get our PP going so I don't know why you don't see any good argument for him to improve offensively.

His rookie year was great but he was sheltered defensively and had a partner who carried a lot of the weight. He's taking on tougher competition and last year he was good defensively playing tough minutes, carrying his own weight. Plus he's had to learn multiple systems, just getting used to Boughner's with a year or two experience should help him make better decisions.

If he gets more experience playing tougher minutes, you think he's never going to get better defensively? He hasn't even hit his prime. He's only 22, had to double check his age.

Sorry to jump in, but your Argumentation has a fundamental Issue. You speak in a few Points how good he could be. But this Thread is an Offseason review, not a preview.
If you voted B or C or A in the matter how he could improve, then something going really wrong here.

And ucanthanzalthetruth is right, this Season was nothing big then a BounceBack Season and first and second Arguments in my Eyes, complete right. I dont see where Ekblad improved in his skating? Only about the Coach and GM said it and i see in the Game something complete different, then its questable.

So i hope for my own, we stay on the Topic and Discuss how was this Season not how he could be. There are enough Games to bring in arguments, for or against him since he played all 82 Games.

Last edited:

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
his play didn't stand out like his contract. i feel like he was offensively streaky and took too many penalties, but felt confident while he was on the ice even strength.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
B.

I thought defensively he showed some good strides and his offense came in later on.
I want to say he was heading down the Bjugstad path of no confidence after the 16-17 season and going through those concussions. Luckily, he was healthy last year and seemed to get through any early funks.

Skating is an issue though, and I'm not sure if he'll ever be a defenseman that can be caught off and actually recover against the faster players in the league. Hopefully Paul Vincent can pull one more rabbit out of his hat with Ekblad becoming a more fluid skater.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
C: for nearly 8 million a year you cannot skate at the same level as your average Friday rec player

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
He's a B or a B+.

He played tough minutes, still scored a with little Power Play time. There is another level he can hit.

Additionally, when his partnered with Yandle he can't play as aggressively. If his skating improves and he gets the right defense partner.....he will hit his potential.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I think we may see Ekblad and MM this season.

Yandle would do better with a D only partner.

Ek and MM are more two way players than straight offensive Ds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad