2018 NHL GM Rankings #6

Vote 6 please

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's not just own fans. That's the mindset of judgement with people here on gms. It's not a shift, Jim Nill in that same scenario was 4th last year.

It's a site about potential afterall
Yes perhaps your right, I remember that from last year too with Nill. Guess ya just gotta laugh lol

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Uhh how has Shero only getting two votes here. The guy who traded a 2nd pair defenseman for the Hart trophy winner. The guy who traded a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri. The guy who traded two 2nds for Johansson. The guy who transformed a team with the bleakest future in the league into one of the brightest in two freaking years. The guy who signed Will Butcher. The guy who brought us into the playoffs 3-4 years before anyone expected we would even be out of the bottom 10. I’m not saying he should definitely go right now. But come on, he should be doing better than this
Well NJ did miss the playoffs for 5 straight years and added a #1 overall pick.

What Shero also did was collect way more draft picks. They had 5, 6,and 5 for the 3 years before Shero really took over for Lou.

In the 3 years where he had time to add picks, he drafted 9, 11 and 6. That's an extra 10 picks over 3 years. It certainly gives you better odds to "hit" on someone....like they did with Bratt.

But the Zacha pick remains a huge miss.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Well NJ did miss the playoffs for 5 straight years and added a #1 overall pick.

What Shero also did was collect way more draft picks. They had 5, 6,and 5 for the 3 years before Shero really took over for Lou.

In the 3 years where he had time to add picks, he drafted 9, 11 and 6. That's an extra 10 picks over 3 years. It certainly gives you better odds to "hit" on someone....like they did with Bratt.

But the Zacha pick remains a huge miss.
The Zacha pick wasn’t Shero. It was Conte that made the pick

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
It was still under Shero's watch when he was GM.
He had only been gm for a little over a month and didn't want to overrule the scout's rankings which they had been working on for the past year, so he gave his head scout full reign. If you want to shit on him for a draft pick, do it for McLeod, because that is probably worse. Zacha is at least capable of playing at the NHL level, and was actually one of the best pkers in the entire NHL last year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He had only been gm for a little over a month and didn't want to overrule the scout's rankings which they had been working on for the past year, so he gave his head scout full reign. If you want to **** on him for a draft pick, do it for McLeod, because that is probably worse. Zacha is at least capable of playing at the NHL level, and was actually one of the best pkers in the entire NHL last year.
That was still his decision and it turned out to be a bad one. Especially when Conte leaves/gets let go, 1 month after the draft.

Shero obviously agreed with the pick or he would have stopped it.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Uhh how has Shero only getting two votes here. The guy who traded a 2nd pair defenseman for the Hart trophy winner. The guy who traded a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri. The guy who traded two 2nds for Johansson. The guy who transformed a team with the bleakest future in the league into one of the brightest in two freaking years. The guy who signed Will Butcher. The guy who brought us into the playoffs 3-4 years before anyone expected we would even be out of the bottom 10. I’m not saying he should definitely go right now. But come on, he should be doing better than this

Not that I think Shero has done a poor job in NJ (He has them looking like a much better team going forward), but I would say the thing that most changed the fortunes of that franchise was winning the draft lottery in 2017.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Not that I don't think Shero has done a poor job in NJ (He has them looking like a much better team going forward), but I would say the thing that most changed the fortunes of that franchise was winning the draft lottery in 2017.
I mean I understand that played a big role in it, but look at the team at the end of the 2014-15 season, and look at it now. He has done a complete turnover of the roster. The only players (not prospects) left from that season were Zajac, Greene, Schneider, and Severson. That’s it, no one else. 4 players out of 23 on the roster stayed, everyone else gone. That is a huge turnover of the roster, so there was definitely a lot more than just getting Hischier. He has been arguably the best trader in the NHL since he got to NJ, and brought our prospect pool from the worst by far to a top 5 last year

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I mean I understand that played a big role in it, but look at the team at the end of the 2014-15 season, and look at it now. He has done a complete turnover of the roster. The only players (not prospects) left from that season were Zajac, Greene, Schneider, and Severson. That’s it, no one else. 4 players out of 23 on the roster stayed, everyone else gone. That is a huge turnover of the roster, so there was definitely a lot more than just getting Hischier. He has been arguably the best trader in the NHL since he got to NJ, and brought our prospect pool from the worst by far to a top 5 last year
But if you take the current team and replace Hischier with Cody Glass or some other top 10 prospect, suddenly the devils go from a team with possibility to contend for the cup to a team that looks more "middle of the road". Winning that lottery gave them the boost they needed.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Not sure if a move someone makes in 2013 should dock them in 2018.

Hey buddy, how's it going. After the patches trade what are your thoughts? Let's break this down:

1st round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
Nick Suzuki

for

Max Pacioretty

GMGM Forever! VIVA GMGM! 6TH BEST GM

Reactions: third man in

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I've seen it too many times that has Winnipeg as "Winn"
If you're gonna use slang It's "Peg"
They were already picked, and this thread is closed we are onto 8. Please pay closer attention. NEXT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad