2018 NHL GM Rankings #5

What about 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So Rutherford easy breasy takes #4 which is expected and I thought could have gone sooner having won already 2 cups (super recently too). Next up looks like a battle between Maclellan (who just won the Cup) and Mcphee who just took an expansion team to the Cup finals lol. Crazy times. Two great options

Also, just like in the coaching polls, many people have complained and asked me to remove all rookies as they cannot really farely be compared as they have zero record. What to people think about that? Should we remove any rookie GMs as its too silly to place them anywhere?

1 TB Yzerman 47% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-gm-rankings-1.2535123/
2 NASH Poile 52% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-gm-rankings-2.2535699/
3 WINN Cheveldayoff 33% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-gm-rankings-3.2536035/
4 PITTS Rutherford 30% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-gm-rankings-4.2536527/

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I mean it's a ranking for 2018. Not a ranking of there entire tenure. Imo it's more of a what have you done for me recently but w/e.
Is this how it is mostly viewed. I guess that skews how the voting has a lot of opposition to actual success vs seeming potential.

If that's the case, it makes more sense to label it a poll about teams current trajectory vs anyway considering it ranking the gms in some way.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Is this how it is mostly viewed. I guess that skews how the voting has a lot of opposition to actual success vs seeming potential.

If that's the case, it makes more sense to label it a poll about teams current trajectory vs anyway considering it ranking the gms in some way.
well imo it should be what the gms did in 2018, all summer and what the team looks to do in 2019, so a mix of accomplishments and potential. Or at least thats how i see it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Keep the rookies in. Their fans are just mad to see them at the bottom but they’ll have to deal with it.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Maybe the OP should decide what the poll is about.

@Etteduag ot Reseob
I was thinking just how we ranked them. Obviously some will have more emphasis on recently (which is why i thought Rutherford should have gone higher) but more people put emphasis on a longer but still current track record. Which is fine. Track record with more emphasis on what have ya done for me lately seems to be the way to go

Makes no sense why some confused fans are voting Armstrong right now as he has had plenty opportunity as GM in Stlouis and his most recent track record is failing to make the playoffs with a team many predicted would make noise in the playoffs. If he wins here that will be messed up

Reactions: Pyrophorus

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I was thinking just how we ranked them. Obviously some will have more emphasis on recently (which is why i thought Rutherford should have gone higher) but more people put emphasis on a longer but still current track record. Which is fine. Track record with more emphasis on what have ya done for me lately seems to be the way to go

Makes no sense why some confused fans are voting Armstrong right now as he has had plenty opportunity as GM in Stlouis and his most recent track record is failing to make the playoffs with a team many predicted would make noise in the playoffs. If he wins here that will be messed up

I feel like you went away for a while I missed you.

Reactions: Memento

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I voted for Maclellan but can see the argument for Armstrong (admittedly bias) given how he has the franchise positioned for the immediate and the future. Someone better slap a trigger warning on this thread for the OP if Armstrong wins.

Edit- I missed him already whining. Who hurt you?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I mean it's a ranking for 2018. Not a ranking of there entire tenure. Imo it's more of a what have you done for me recently but w/e.

There you go, @HavocWreaker. It's not "a ranking for 2018", and should include entire tenure.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I voted for Maclellan but can see the argument for Armstrong (admittedly bias) given how he has the franchise positioned for the immediate and the future. Someone better slap a trigger warning on this thread for the OP if Armstrong wins.

Edit- I missed him already whining. Who hurt you?

Seeing how in each of the polls Army has been lining up for 5th in the ranking I've been following this closely :laugh:.

I mean we missed the playoffs by 1 point with all of our injuries last year for the first time since 2011 for Christ's sake!! Window closed. He should be ranked 80th for that alone. Maybe the best offseason and possibly most improved team bumps him up to 60th or 70th.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Seeing how in each of the polls Army has been lining up for 5th in the ranking I've been following this closely :laugh:.

I mean we missed the playoffs by 1 point with all of our injuries last year for the first time since 2011 for Christ's sake!! Window closed. He should be ranked 80th for that alone. Maybe the best offseason and possibly most improved team bumps him up to 60th or 70th.
Now its the injuries excuse for such a poor poor season by a team that you guys said was on its normal path to the Cup :biglaugh:

Whats gonna be the excuse this year? The refs? Thr weather? Too tough a division?? Better get the excuses ready bub :laugh:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I'd take McClellan but McPhee did largely construct both teams in the final last year. But it's interesting because I think many considered him a bum 12 months ago.
When McPhee left the Caps the roster was a mess. His staff definitely drafted the nucleus of the caps, but Maclellan built the team.

He had a bunch of opportunities to win a cup and failed to properly address major holes on the team mainly at defence and top 9 Centers.

He's not trash but I wouldn't have him in the top 10 let alone top 5

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Huh, interesting. So Chevy, who has done absolutely nothing other than sit on his hands while letting his amateur scouting staff use strong draft position to the Jets advantage, gets voted in at 3 and we don't hear you raise an objection. But Armstrong who is very good at several aspects of being a GM including some very notable sorcerer level trades to progressively improve the team is not a good pick here and him winning would be "messed up".

You would think a fan of a team that until recently couldn't draft it's way out of a wet paper bag would hide under a rock before throwing shade at an organization who has actually had a bunch of really good seasons but some people huh? You enjoy that **** show in Vancouver ok? We'll enjoy a return to the PO's. You remember those right? That whole thing the Canucks aren't in? Good talk buddy.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Huh, interesting. So Chevy, who has done absolutely nothing other than sit on his hands while letting his amateur scouting staff use strong draft position to the Jets advantage, gets voted in at 3 and we don't hear you raise an objection. But Armstrong who is very good at several aspects of being a GM including some very notable sorcerer level trades to progressively improve the team is not a good pick here and him winning would be "messed up".

You would think a fan of a team that until recently couldn't draft it's way out of a wet paper bag would hide under a rock before throwing shade at an organization who has actually had a bunch of really good seasons but some people huh? You enjoy that **** show in Vancouver ok? We'll enjoy a return to the PO's. You remember those right? That whole thing the Canucks aren't in? Good talk buddy.

Why did he not respond to this? Haha

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Now its the injuries excuse for such a poor poor season by a team that you guys said was on its normal path to the Cup :biglaugh:

Whats gonna be the excuse this year? The refs? Thr weather? Too tough a division?? Better get the excuses ready bub :laugh:

:laugh: They missed by 1 point. Such a poor season? Why don't you respond to the rest? How about TK 421's post? You are the biggest joke on this site. And the worst part is you refuse to explain who hurt you in the Blues organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad