2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Turns out I was right. I really don't know what that means for his career, if I'm not mistaken Hepatitis A is the least serious form so I guess it wouldn't affect his draft stock too much. Is there a precedent for pro athletes with that particular illness ?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2018-draft-rankings-dahlin-stands-out-in-first-edition

Hockeynews.com just put their early rankings out. It's post Hlinka so you can already see a few guys rising.

Just noticed that Quinn Hughes (LHD) future Michigan Wolverine is ranked #8 by The Hockey News(Hockey Fans Lifeline in the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.). reminds this Habs fan of the old Bob Dylan song The Mighty Quinn, maybe the Habs get lucky and draft this defence partner for Weber next spring, apparently very talented offensively. :nod::nod::nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Turns out I was right. I really don't know what that means for his career, if I'm not mistaken Hepatitis A is the least serious form so I guess it wouldn't affect his draft stock too much. Is there a precedent for pro athletes with that particular illness ?

correct it's the least serious compared with C and B. C is the big one.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
What are people saying for Khovanov? I know he's got Hep A but have no clue how long that'll keep him out. I think a lack of viewings could make him drop as far as the mid second round or lower should he not be able to play for the rest of the year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
What are people saying for Khovanov? I know he's got Hep A but have no clue how long that'll keep him out. I think a lack of viewings could make him drop as far as the mid second round or lower should he not be able to play for the rest of the year.

He might slip a little, although it's different from having a major knee injury for exemple, where there might be doubts about the long term effects. From what I understand, his particular illness won't be an issue once his treatment is over ( I'm not a doctor though so feel free to correct me on that) . The thing with him is that he didn't get much international exposure prior to this season, while Klim Kostin for exemple was a better known commodity before he lost a year. Time will tell I guess, he's very talented and there was some legit hype about him before all that. I'd be fine with taking a risk on him personally.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Obviously early but here's some guys who impressed me from the WHL based on camp and pre-season performances so far. It's early but I'm just so excited for hockey again

Forwards:
Riley Sutter, Everett Silvertips (responsible at both ends of the ice, good on faceoffs)
Ty Kolle, Portland Winterhawks
Kyle Topping, Kelowna Rockets
Martin Fasko-Rudas, Everett Silvertips (reminded me of Reway. What a gifted passer!)
Luka Burzan, Moose Jaw Warriors
Orrin Centazzo, Everett Silvertips
Brett Kemp, Edmonton Oil Kings
Brad Ginnell, Portland Winterhawks
Milos Roman, Vancouver Giants
Brodi Stuart, Kamloops Blazers
Ilijah Colina, Portland Winterhawks
Dino Kambeitz, Victoria Royals
Pavel Azhgirei, Everett Silvertips (big man 6'6, uses his body well. Could be a good power forward. Skates better than I thought he would. Actually quite fast)

Defensemen:
Ty Smith, Spokane Chiefs (best defenseman in the 2018 class imo)
Jett Woo, Moose Jaw Warriors
Sergei Sapego, Tri-City Americans
Alex Kannok-Leipert, Vancouver Giants
Egor Zamula, Regina Pats
Luke Gallagher, Spokane Chiefs (No relation to Brendan Gallagher)

Goaltenders:
David Tendeck, Vancouver Giants
Max Palaga, Kamloops Blazers
Adam Evanoff, Moose Jaw Warriors

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He might slip a little, although it's different from having a major knee injury for exemple, where there might be doubts about the long term effects. From what I understand, his particular illness won't be an issue once his treatment is over ( I'm not a doctor though so feel free to correct me on that) . The thing with him is that he didn't get much international exposure prior to this season, while Klim Kostin for exemple was a better known commodity before he lost a year. Time will tell I guess, he's very talented and there was some legit hype about him before all that. I'd be fine with taking a risk on him personally.

After watching St.Louis Blues drafting Vlad Tarasenko(PWF) then trading to draft Klim Kostin(PWF) both RW's and Russians considered Top Five picks at 16th & 31st OV. It might be wise to not let Khovanov slip to them this year. The Blues adding ex-Hab Larry Robinson to their Front Office this summer, bodes great for their defence prospects development, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not sure where our little discussion about Kotkaniemi went, but as Pompeius was saying, I think he has a good shot at rising through the rankings as the season, WJC, and U18s happen. At the end of the first he's all kinds of value.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I know better than to pick Habs future draft picks by last name alone, but this yrs. list has some real good ones;

The Bouchard's Evan(LK's OHL) & Xavier both RHD's as are Bode Wilde & Jett Woo, then there are LHD's *Rasmus Dahlin*, Ty Smith, Quinn Hughes, Jared McIsaac & K'Andre Miller. At center Joe "Poison" Veleno a personal favorite what a moniker, just what the Dr. didn't order, LOL. Brady Tkachuk, Jack McBain, Ryan McLeod & Benoit - Olivier Groulx. Well I'll be Happy with any three of these draft picks, especially since the Habs only have one 1st round pick. Go Trevor Go!!!... get us three, cause we deserve more than one, being the Montreal Canadiens we have history to make this millennium!!!....................

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I know better than to pick Habs future draft picks by last name alone, but this yrs. list has some real good ones;

The Bouchard's Evan(LK's OHL) & Xavier both RHD's as are Bode Wilde & Jett Woo, then there are LHD's *Rasmus Dahlin*, Ty Smith, Quinn Hughes, Jared McIsaac & K'Andre Miller. At center Joe "Poison" Veleno a personal favorite what a moniker, just what the Dr. didn't order, LOL. Brady Tkachuk, Jack McBain, Ryan McLeod & Benoit - Olivier Groulx. Well I'll be Happy with any three of these draft picks, especially since the Habs only have one 1st round pick. Go Trevor Go!!!... get us three, cause we deserve more than one, being the Montreal Canadiens we have history to make this millennium!!!....................

For sure, it should be a very good year prospect wise. Not a bad moment to maybe end the season a bit lower than where we usually do. A mid first round pick would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: Frank JT and S Bah

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
It would be a good year to miss the playoffs and have a top 14 pick, including a possibility tu win one of the top 3 lottery.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

Thanks for posting this , it's early but during our discussions for this rankings it was pretty obvious to us that this is a good draft class, at least better than last year. I really like the top-10 group. We also had guys outside of our top-31 that we felt where first round talent but couldn't fit them in there due to the good depth of players this year. Also it's a good year for the QMJHL, which is a welcoming change.

Reactions: S Bah

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thanks for posting this , it's early but during our discussions for this rankings it was pretty obvious to us that this is a good draft class, at least better than last year. I really like the top-10 group. We also had guys outside of our top-31 that we felt where first round talent but couldn't fit them in there due to the good depth of players this year. Also it's a good year for the QMJHL, which is a welcoming change.
A quick question: Do you guys see Calen Addison end the season much higher than you have him ranked right now ? He had such a good Hlinka and there seems to be a lot more expectations now. He'll get more responsibilities too with Brennan Menell turning pro.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
A quick question: Do you guys see Calen Addison end the season much higher than you have him ranked right now ? He had such a good Hlinka and there seems to be a lot more expectations now. He'll get more responsibilities too with Brennan Menell turning pro.

It's possible, we had some good talk about him during our ranking meetings and you could easily make the case he was Canada top D at the Hlinka. I liked his game at the U-17 last year and Hlinka last month. Maybe not as dynamic as the Hughes-Boqvist but just so smart out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad