2018 NHL Draft: Consensus Last Minute Mock

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
This is a preposterous outcome for CAR. Y'all should be ashamed...REALLY ashamed. :facepalm: 2nd grade reasoning skills used here.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
No Finns by the Panthers?
Since Tallon became our GM in 2010, we've drafted a Finn each year except 2012 and 2015 (and in 2015 we drafted Malgin who was supposedly scouted by our Finnish scout).
Similarly, I'm surprised to see Kondelik there - we haven't drafted a Czech player since 2007 (Michal Repik in round 2).

Anyway, nice job :)

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This is a preposterous outcome for CAR. Y'all should be ashamed...REALLY ashamed. :facepalm: 2nd grade reasoning skills used here.

I think the link is glitching. A few minutes ago I was able to see Larry's "last minute" and it showed the Canes drafting Svechnikov, Ylonen, Zabransky and some others. Basically a really good draft.

Now it has reverted to his previous mock which had him giving he Canes Zadina and Nordgren.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I think the link is glitching. A few minutes ago I was able to see Larry's "last minute" and it showed the Canes drafting Svechnikov, Ylonen, Zabransky and some others. Basically a really good draft.

Now it has reverted to his previous mock which had him giving he Canes Zadina and Nordgren.
Oh, I see. It looked like he had just randomly picked all Fins and Czechs because we don't believe in scouting? :laugh:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Oh, I see. It looked like he had just randomly picked all Fins and Czechs because we don't believe in scouting? :laugh:

Still a number of Finns (Ylonen, Lindberg, and Mattinen) and Czechs (Zabransky, Reichel), but also a nice sleeper in Tim Gleason's cousin with the next to last pick.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not a bad 1st round for the Rangers, but I'd switch Berggren for Lundkvist. Later rounds I'm not as familiar with, but I think I'd go with Merkley at 39 over Marchenko. High bust potential, but could be a steal if he pans out

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tkachuk, Lundkvist, Fonstad, Kovalenko, Shafigulin, Comrie, Galenyuk, Polodyan

Not. f***ing. bad.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Tkachuk, Lundkvist, Fonstad, Kovalenko, Shafigulin, Comrie, Galenyuk, Polodyan

Not. ****ing. bad.

I figured Chicago fans would be happy with that haul. I have a feeling Ottawa will take either Zadina or Tkachuk and the other may fall behind that run of defencemen and thus land in the Blackhawks' lap, but time will tell.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
id be so happy with these results

mcisaac and foudy are two of my favorites, if the blues got them both... eek

With Foudy slotted as a first-round pick in McKenzie's final rankings, it would be shocking to see the Blues take him with their first pick rather than their second pick, but St. Louis will get two real quality prospects at those spots. McIsaac and Foudy might prove too good to be true.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Not a bad 1st round for the Rangers, but I'd switch Berggren for Lundkvist. Later rounds I'm not as familiar with, but I think I'd go with Merkley at 39 over Marchenko. High bust potential, but could be a steal if he pans out

I strongly considered Merkley there. It seems unlikely the Rangers would select five straight forwards before shifting their focus to defencemen in the third round and beyond, but stranger things have happened.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
No Finns by the Panthers?
Since Tallon became our GM in 2010, we've drafted a Finn each year except 2012 and 2015 (and in 2015 we drafted Malgin who was supposedly scouted by our Finnish scout).
Similarly, I'm surprised to see Kondelik there - we haven't drafted a Czech player since 2007 (Michal Repik in round 2).

Anyway, nice job :)

Good call on Florida liking their Finns, maybe it will be Kupari at 15 if they aren't high on Wilde/Miller or perhaps one of Ylonen, Nordgren or Ranta goes at 34 instead of Alexeyev. That could be seen as a bit of a reach, but I wouldn't put it past Florida. It is a strong draft year for Czechs, so I could also see the Panthers making an exception on that front in 2018.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I've enjoyed reading your lists and rankings over the last few weeks but I gotta say that you are out to lunch if you seriously think that Detroit is apparently going to draft every freaking defensman in this draft. LOL, I pray that their actual draft turns out nothing like this because I think I would get physically ill if that is how my weekend goes next week.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I've enjoyed reading your lists and rankings over the last few weeks but I gotta say that you are out to lunch if you seriously think that Detroit is apparently going to draft every freaking defensman in this draft. LOL, I pray that their actual draft turns out nothing like this because I think I would get physically ill if that is how my weekend goes next week.

That's just one of several different approaches the Red Wings could take. There are a lot of nice first-round calibre defencemen in that 25-45 range and the Red Wings could have a chance to stockpile some and ensure that becomes a position of strength again.

I also considered two other approaches. The first was to take three Swedish forwards in Olofsson, Hallander and Gustafsson if all three were available at 30, 33 and 36, which they would be according to my mock.

The other approach was to take Jay O'Brien, Jake Wise and Blake McLaughlin if possible, with Jack Drury, Tyler Madden and Tyler Weiss also getting consideration if the others were gone.

Would you have preferred either/both of those packages to the defence option with Samuelsson, Woo and Addison following Bouchard at No. 6? Personally, I think those four would set the Red Wings up for a decade of dominance on defence!

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
That's just one of several different approaches the Red Wings could take. There are a lot of nice first-round calibre defencemen in that 25-45 range and the Red Wings could have a chance to stockpile some and ensure that becomes a position of strength again.

I also considered two other approaches. The first was to take three Swedish forwards in Olofsson, Hallander and Gustafsson if all three were available at 30, 33 and 36, which they would be according to my mock.

The other approach was to take Jay O'Brien, Jake Wise and Blake McLaughlin if possible, with Jack Drury, Tyler Madden and Tyler Weiss also getting consideration if the others were gone.

Would you have preferred either/both of those packages to the defence option with Samuelsson, Woo and Addison following Bouchard at No. 6? Personally, I think those four would set the Red Wings up for a decade of dominance on defence!

Actually don't want Bouchard at 6, would prefer Hughes or Boqvist. Then Samuelsson or Alexeyev would be tolerable at 30. Hoping for Wise, O'Brien, or one of the three swedes you mentioned with the next 2 picks (or one of those at 30, then the D, then one of the others at 36). I'm actually ok with the Czech goalie and Pekar in the 3rd, and whoever else they want and then hopefully Bulat Shafylgun at 98. I would be really happy with that draft, but knowing the wings, it will look nothing like that either.

Again, thanks for doing this and giving us something to chew on during this slow period!

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Actually don't want Bouchard at 6, would prefer Hughes or Boqvist. Then Samuelsson or Alexeyev would be tolerable at 30. Hoping for Wise, O'Brien, or one of the three swedes you mentioned with the next 2 picks (or one of those at 30, then the D, then one of the others at 36). I'm actually ok with the Czech goalie and Pekar in the 3rd, and whoever else they want and then hopefully Bulat Shafylgun at 98. I would be really happy with that draft, but knowing the wings, it will look nothing like that either.

Again, thanks for doing this and giving us something to chew on during this slow period!

You are most welcome, it's a labour of love for me. I enjoy scouting, ranking and mocking the prospects and already looking forward to 2019, which is an even better draft class IMO.

That makes sense on the Red Wings' front, I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't think they would regret my picks in a couple years time either. It's defence heavy, but arguably BPA at those spots as well.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I'm thinking 4 Russians is a bit excessive for the Caps, but applaud the effort.

It'll be fun to see how this tracks with actual picks.

Yeah, that's the fun part, can't wait for the weekend now — for better or worse haha

I've had decent results over the last six years and I always revisit my mocks following the actual draft, but those reviews won't likely be published until early July this year due to other commitments. Definitely neat to compare and contrast whenever I get the time to look back.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
A THW colleague caught an error in my draft order. Pick 181 in the sixth round belongs to Boston, not Winnipeg, and has since been updated. Turns out, that pick was conditional from the Drew Stafford trade and Winnipeg ended up getting Boston's fifth-round pick at 150 instead of 181.

Worth noting, I won't be updating my mock throughout the week to reflect any trades that happen beyond Monday, so the picks that San Jose received from Florida for Mike Hoffman and all subsequent trades will not be reflected in my mock order. This pick error occurred prior to Monday, thus fixed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad